Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avz

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Hi,
I wanted to use my MacBook in a clam shell mode with an external monitor but came across an issue that I cannot connect my Apple wireless keyboard(it connects and working great with my MacBookPro 2012) to the unibody MacBook(late 2008). Apple Mighty Mouse is working fine with MacBook, so the bluetooth is obviously working. Obviously I turn off the MacBookPro(and putting it 10 feet away from the keyboard) before trying to connect to MacBook.
Are there some sort of incompatibility between 2011 Apple wireless keyboard and 2008 unibody MacBook?

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Hi,
I wanted to use my MacBook in a clam shell mode with an external monitor but came across an issue that I cannot connect my Apple wireless keyboard(it connects and working great with my MacBookPro 2012) to the unibody MacBook(late 2008). Apple Mighty Mouse is working fine with MacBook, so the bluetooth is obviously working. Obviously I turn off the MacBookPro(and putting it 10 feet away from the keyboard) before trying to connect to MacBook.
Are there some sort of incompatibility between 2011 Apple wireless keyboard and 2008 unibody MacBook?

I have a Late-2009 Macbook that is compatible. It has the same specs (to the best of my knowledge) of this Unibody Aluminium.

avz

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I have a Late-2009 Macbook that is compatible. It has the same specs (to the best of my knowledge) of this Unibody Aluminium.
Thanks. Must be something else going on. I am wondering if our MacBooks have the same bluetooth module? I believe mine is 2.1. Which Mac OS do you have installed on your MacBook? I have patched High Sierra and Bootcamp with Windows 7. Windows 7 does not see the keyboard as well.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Thanks. Must be something else going on. I am wondering if our MacBooks have the same bluetooth module? I believe mine is 2.1. Which Mac OS do you have installed on your MacBook? I have patched High Sierra and Bootcamp with Windows 7. Windows 7 does not see the keyboard as well.
High Sierra, although it's officially supported for 2009-10 Unibody white Macbooks.

avz

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Ok, this is embarrassing and comes down to my general lack of experience with the apple wireless keyboard. All I had to do was to hold down the power button for a few seconds(that makes it discoverable by the late 2008 MacBook). I guess I was spoiled because my MacBookPro(mid 2012) discovered and connected to the keyboard automatically, all I had to do is to punch the passcode in and hit enter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.