Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koolzero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I have had a Pioneer 4400nex installed for about 7 years and it’s been mostly great. I connect to it wirelessly. Recently an issue began happening where nearly every time it will connect but the radio will display a message “Error-02-60” and it won’t be possible to adjust the volume. If I turn CarPlay off and back on it will usually fix it. There are people on the CarPlay Reddit that are getting the same error with different models of Pioneer. I contacted Apple and they say they only provide support on factory installed CarPlay. Is that an official Apple policy stated anywhere? My radio has the most recent firmware released by Pioneer.

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
So what does Pioneer have to say about this? A search on Google for "Error-02-60" comes back with a LOT of posts about this problem on a wide range of Pioneer head units. Some from over 7 yr. ago.

koolzero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
So what does Pioneer have to say about this? A search on Google for "Error-02-60" comes back with a LOT of posts about this problem on a wide range of Pioneer head units. Some from over 7 yr. ago.
I sent a support request to pioneer. Will see what the say. Prob just tell me it’s out of warranty and I have to pay for a “fix” or buy a new one. 🤷🏼‍♂️

JonnyMacx86

macrumors regular
Staff member
Feb 10, 2024
Halifax, NS
I love CarPlay, but in my experience it is fairly reliable at best. It's factory installed in my partner's CR-V and if she's going to need Maps, I force restart both her phone and the vehicle audio system before she leaves. I've seen total connection drop outs, I've seen literal seconds of lag, and I've seen very strange aliasing, almost like a slow connection streaming video. I'd rather have it and deal with the bugs than not, but its still not ideal.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Oh gosh, I’m getting exactly the same error and problem. The only thing wrong is the volume buttons don’t work, and it’s super frustrating. I haven’t been able to find any solutions.

Mine is the Pioneer 4500NEX.

I never even asked Apple, because it doesn’t strike me as a CarPlay issue, but a Pioneer issue.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
In my estimation, most support services and warranties do not extend to aftermarket products. It's not built by Apple, so they do not devote time and resources to troubleshoot other companies' devices.

Reactions: Ntombi

koolzero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
In my estimation, most support services and warranties do not extend to aftermarket products. It's not built by Apple, so they do not devote time and resources to troubleshoot other companies' devices.
It would be great if there was an official statement regarding that. When I called Apple for support they said since it didn’t come pre installed in my vehicle they wouldn’t support it. Apple decides to support the OEMs radios that have CarPlay but just not aftermarket.

Attachments

• IMG_5289.jpeg
    IMG_5289.jpeg
    849.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Don't have a Pioneer, but have checked Pioneer's website for a firmware update? Since this is aftermarket, do you have any accessories, like an iDataLink Maestro for steering wheel controls? Firmware updates have fixed a few issues on my devices.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Don't have a Pioneer, but have checked Pioneer's website for a firmware update? Since this is aftermarket, do you have any accessories, like an iDataLink Maestro for steering wheel controls? Firmware updates have fixed a few issues on my devices.
I have the same issue, and my firmware is current. Everything was the same when it went wonky.

koolzero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
So, on that reddit thread someone posted they had good luck with the newest beta (17.5 b2), so I just installed it and twice in a row my phone connected without any volume control issues. Maybe this will be the fix.

Last edited:

koolzero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Yeah, Pioneer is awful as far as firmware updates. There hasn't been a firmware update in many years. I've checked many times. I believe they only released 2 updates for mine. I even looked for a home brew firmware and no luck. There was a bug with the pioneer not accepting a new iPhone and pioneer just said I need to ship my radio in, and at first I actually spoke to Pioneer support and they kept telling me it was Apple that needed to release a fix, but eventually their story changed and they said I needed to send my radio in for a fix. I found a forum thread that was for another issue where the firmware would corrupt, the fix involved removing the internal SD card and install a fresh factory operating system, and that fixed it.

I feel like Pioneer could have released a firmware update to have resolved that issue. I just feel like they abandon support really fast. Last update was in 2019. Not sure if other manufacturers have better support. I was considering buying a new Alpine but I don't want to just toss a thousand bucks out the window, not to mention the time it will take to install a new radio. I'll live with a minor volume issues. But hoping a new iOS update might fix it.

Last edited:

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
So, on that reddit thread someone posted they had good luck with the newest beta (17.5 b2), so I just installed it and twice in a row my phone connected without any volume control issues. Maybe this will be the fix.
I just came to post the same thing. I did the update a couple of days ago, and have had no issues since.

Reactions: koolzero

koolzero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I just came to post the same thing. I did the update a couple of days ago, and have had no issues since.
I connected about 10 times in a row and no error/volume works. Hopefully 17.5 is the answer.

If Apple introduced a bug they should be responsible to fix it? If they don’t help customers with their issues, to even hear and learn of an issue they may have created, how would they fix it? Seems like poor attitude to have.

A lot of people with pioneers experienced this problem fairly recently and with several models.

Perhaps enough slipped through the cracks though and that is how the fix got implemented.

Reactions: Ntombi

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
I honestly didn’t consider that it was Apple’s fault until I saw this thread. I was trying to fix it via Pioneer.

Last year, I had the boot loop error that was fairly common in Pioneer units, so I automatically assumed it was a Pioneer thing again.

Yes, since it was their fault, it was on them to address it, obviously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.