Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wowlocal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2020
Moscow
Hello XDR owners, recently i received a display and immediately noticed that the fullscreen video playback looks slightly laggy (frame drops) compared to the same video on the MacBook internal screen. I have tried different formats, streaming services, browsers and Presets. Same videos on Bootcamp look smooth though. I have contacted Apple support and tomorrow im going to have a tracing/logging session with an Apple Engineer. I found nothing about this problem on the Internet, and i wonder if anyone with a similar configuration has had the same problem.

My Configuration:
Currently im on macOS 10.15.4
MacBook Pro 16inch with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB and 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

wowlocal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2020
Moscow
Especially noticeable on Apple TV app with 4k HDR videos.
[automerge]1590487944[/automerge]
I recorded sample in 60 fps

Last edited:

kaans

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
If I was a betting man, I'd bet the Macbook was faultily throttling or something like that :(

Sorry to hear about the issue, hope it gets fixed

Edit: It will be a very naive suggestion, but maybe shutting down the Macbook, then pressing D to run diagnostics can figure something out, probably it doesn't do much, but at least it tests the fans etc.

Last edited:

pollycat

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2004
I'm seeing this too.
Videos play fine in MacOS in their own window, not full screen.
Videos are laggy in MacOS when played full screen.
Videos are not laggy in full screen in Bootcamp Windows 10.

I keep my MBP 16" in clamshell mode while hooked up to the XDR display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.