Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silvertech

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2016
I had a genius bar appointment today, I have AppleCare+ and I treat my electronics very very well. I discovered my iPhone 6 was bent recently. They said it will cost $89! even with AppleCare+ to replace my phone, It also has a light bleed problem in the middle of the screen. I've never heard something so ridiculous from Apple before.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I had a genius bar appointment today, I have AppleCare+ and I treat my electronics very very well. I discovered my iPhone 6 was bent recently. They said it will cost $89! even with AppleCare+ to replace my phone, It also has a light bleed problem in the middle of the screen. I've never heard something so ridiculous from Apple before.
You had to pay $90 to completely replace a $700 device that you accidentally bent?! The nerve of Apple.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

So you joined this site to tell us about your feelings of entitlement?

"Never heard of something so ridiculous". :p

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Without AC+ the replacement cost would've been much higher...

I'm guessing $89 is the excess fee?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany

Isn't that the standard fee on AppleCare+ exchanges?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
There is a deductible on top of the standard AppleCare+ price when you need service.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think the OP was expecting this to be covered under manufacturer defect and thus covered by the extended manufacturer warranty.

I don't believe Apple considers the bending a manufacturing issue. Despite what some have said, I've seen enough evidence that the 6 plus (not the 6 but that could be so too) bends much easier than the S series. Yeah, the op probably bent it as it didn't bend itself, but IMO it bends under much less stress than it should.

Live and learn. $89 isn't terrible. But if T isn't a deal breaker you can even just live with it until the last day or so of your warranty and then take it in at the time for a swap out. I believe you'll get an additional 90 days (manufacturer warranty not accidental damage)and you can also do whatever you want with the device from there.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

silvertech

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2016
It's not like I bent it myself, like those idiots on the internet. After keeping it in my front pocket, like every normal person on earth. I do not wear skinny jeans, and always have a case on it. There is a clear bend in it, so their phone, which costs a lot of money. Should not bend so easily, and being upset after spending 600 dollars, I am somehow entitled after spending my hard earned money on a phone. It bent in the same place like everyone else's, near the volume buttons. When a phone bends in your pocket, from normal use. That is a problem.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
My suggestion, if you repair it, is keep a receipt. It's entirely possible that Apple rallies years down the road that there is/was a manufacturing fault and you get refunded. It has already happened for folks with faulty water sensors.

The reality is, if everyone was honest, this wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately a lot of people abuse Apple's great repair and replacement policies.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Just try this with Samsung or some other manufacture, and see what they say. Apple is very good and why I stay with them and applecare+. Some people with their attitude now days :(
Yes i agree. Way ahead in terms of after sale services than any brand

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.