Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svrf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2021
Hi y'all,

in my years I've had my fair share of replacement Apple devices. Currently, I have an iPhone 13 mini that has AppleCare till the end of November 2023. I broke the back a couple of months ago and am holding out getting it repaired as I don't wanna spend money on the repairs all the time. Now, I know from my older phones that sometimes when a phone is broken, Apple simply replaces the phone because the repair costs are higher than the replacement of the phone. The instances when this happens used to be written on the AppleCare website. Apple got rid of that, however, and now I was wondering what damages would theoretically get you a replacement iPhone instead of a repair. Last time my phone was replaced it was because the camera had broken, so I'm guessing that is still valid? What about water damage- is that an instance that they would replace the phone instead of trying to repair it? If the phone is replaced, do they give you a new one or is this a refurbished phone?
This is a purely hypothetical question, but I have been wondering about it for a while, so I thought I might as well ask.

Cheers!

Reactions: watsonReal867

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
If you want a replacement you can call them and do a Express Replacement. You will get the new phone and you need to send the old one back within 10 days. There will be a hold charge on your Credit Card. This only works if you have Apple Care.

Reactions: watsonReal867

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
You get a refurbished phone not a new one... They will replace your mini because the rear glass is not serviceable according to Apple as well as if your phone has water damage. Apple does have the ability to replace the rear camera without replacing the device if it's due to a hardware issue..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.