Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CotaFloata

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Is it worth it for the mini?

I'm thinking not for me as I might resell in a year when the retina display gets introduced (hopefully) What are others doing?

nowstime

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
If you have a kid yes...if it's for an adult and you plan to resale it before next product cycle...no it's not worth it.

BaBaBoooooooey

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
is it still the same price as the iphone applecare+ ??
shouldnt it be cheaper due the difference in cost?

fsumom

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
I did not get it and the iPad mini is for my 6 year old. Applecare doesn't cover accidents so I'm not understanding the logic behind getting it if you have a kid ;).

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I did not get it and the iPad mini is for my 6 year old. Applecare doesn't cover accidents so I'm not understanding the logic behind getting it if you have a kid ;).

AppleCare doesn't, but AppleCare+ does. :)

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I was wondering this as well. I already spent $350 for my rmbp, $100 for iPad, and bought it for the iphone 5. I really do not want to give apple more money.

I think they should give discount if you already have 3 apple cares! lol not going to happen but would be nice.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
you would think it would be $50. I always get it for my phones, but at $100 for a device that will mostly be used in doors....that is robbery! What is the Out of warranty replacement cost if you do drop it? I know the iphone 5 is $220 w/o applecare+

just looked and they still do not have it listed for the mini....the new ipad is $299 for OOW replacment...the ipad 2 is $249...which i would assume the mini would be the same. applecare+ cost $100 plus $50 for a replacement so about a $100 difference for a single replacement.

iphones the difference is $80

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Never bought it for my phones or iPads.

I think the ipads are incredibly robust machines and unless you are unlucky they will last as long as you need them to.

My ipad 1 is still running perfect and my 2 is showing no sign of giving up. I got both the day they were released, SO ipad 1 is closing in on 3 years.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
i caved and got it. I always using my things naked, and i won't feel as "scared" letting someone else hold it haha.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Got a child or a bunch of child like adults.
AppleCare +

AppleCare+ for iPad extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPad and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $49 service fee.

An out of warranty iPad mini is about the cost of a new one. Double that or more, depending on configuration, of the cost of AppleCare+ and the service fee.

If you manage to trash it again, its only $49 for another one.

For you AMEX will fix it folks.

If you drop it or the screen cracks Apple will call that ACCIDENTAL damage on the repair or out of warranty replacement Receipt.

AMEX WILL ONLY COVER ACCIDENT DAMAGE FOR AN INITIAL 90 DAYS.

The term SOL comes to mind.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Oddly, the AppleCare+ for iPad now includes extended warranty on an Airport or Time Capsule as part of the coverage. And it covers the Airport even if you already bought it (up to 2 years before the iPad).

So you can cover the iPad and a Time Capsule (up to 3 TB disk at $499) with a $99 AppleCare+. This may be a reasonable deal, considering the spinning disk in the Time Capsule is probably the least reliable part of the whole collection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.