Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jennysbelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
My Intel iMac arrived today, and I'm still figuring out, but I love it. I don't know how it compares with the G5, and I haven't tried anything in Rosetta yet, but being a switcher, I'm sure anything running in Rosetta will still be faster than my 4 year old POS PC!

I asked a question about wireless networking on the Mac advice thread but I have a purchasing question here . . . after doing research and hearing here about some issues with Rev A equipment I purchased the Applecare with my new computer. I was expecting to receive something in the box about the extended warranty. I didn't. Do I need to do anything or am I just automatically setup?

Thanks,
Jenny

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
You can check the warranty status of the machine (including whether or not it has been enrolled in Applecare) on their support page. The field to enter your iMac's serial number is on the right sidebar, towards the bottom of that page.

I know when you buy the Applecare in a retail store, you get a small DVD case-sized box that says Applecare on it. There's a card in there you need to fill out and mail back to Apple before it's fully registered for Applecare. It sounds like you don't have that, though. If you're not sure, you can always call Apple directly.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The AppleCare box I received yesterday said on the sheet labeled "Active your coverage today." that I needed to go to the support area of the Apple website and enroll with the plan number and serial number of the machine.

There were other sheets labeled Fact Sheet, Quick Reference Guide as well as a booklet labeled Terms and Conditions.

cliffrouse11bas

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2005
They got a new thing called the auto-enroll not sure if that has anything to do with it. They might just enroll your computer automatically upon shipping form the manufacturer.

jennysbelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
I put my serial number into the Apple website and it said I enrolled in the 90 Day Support. However on my order you can clearly see the Applecare. I'm so confused.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
jennysbelly said:
I put my serial number into the Apple website and it said I enrolled in the 90 Day Support. However on my order you can clearly see the Applecare. I'm so confused.

Call Apple and ask them about it.

Have your order number with you.

Sometimes they send the applecare box separately, so maybe you are still getting it.

jennysbelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
2 to 3 weeks

Well, I just got off the phone with Apple, and they said the Applecare box will be coming 2 -3 weeks after my order. I thought that was weird, but we'll see.

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
Hmm, very odd. I ordered Applecare with my iMac as well and on the order status it says just that Applecare is complete, whatever that means. I'll have to check when my iMac gets here.

jennysbelly

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
That's what mine says online as well. The woman at apple says I will get an actual box with information specific to my machine in a few weeks. I'll let you know. .. .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.