Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCsucks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
i havea question about applecare i know that when you get a new macbook you get a year of free warrent if your macbook breaks do they replace it for free.

::Lisa::

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I just got my MBP back from being fixed and they told me that they only ever replace if it breaks within a certain period of time, I can't remember what time she said though. I think it was 1st 6 weeks (might be wrong as I can't remember). After that period of time, it will get sent away to be repaired. They normally take 2 weeks to repair also.

PCsucks

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
I just got my MBP back from being fixed and they told me that they only ever replace if it breaks within a certain period of time, I can't remember what time she said though. I think it was 1st 6 weeks (might be wrong as I can't remember). After that period of time, it will get sent away to be repaired. They normally take 2 weeks to repair also.

yeah but is it for free

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I believe it's a case by case...

basis. Since my White MB 2.16 (bought AppleCare with it) was having a problem after three weeks, I made contact with Apple on two more occasions before the matter was resolved. It just happened to be the day after the NEW MacBooks were released last month, so the Apple Store replaced it with the Brand New BlackBook 2.4 Penryn 250GB, b/c they didn't have any White MacBooks with 250GB HDD! Again, this was six months after I bought my MB 2.16. :cool:

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
yeah but is it for free

yes, unless it is accidental damage...then you have to pay for it.

I believe if they replace a certain number of components within a certain amount of time, they will offer you a replacement-- but don't know the specifics.

f1

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
You will only be offered a replacement if you have a LONG history of repairs, or if for some reason, Applecare cannot fix your computer after being checked in for repair, or if you demand a replacement and have a good reason.

AlexanderTgreat

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Winnipeg canada
i havea question about applecare i know that when you get a new macbook you get a year of free warrent if your macbook breaks do they replace it for free.

They either ship it back to apple or repair it at the apple store depending on what's wrong. This usually takes btw a week and 3 weeks. The only time they will replace the entire computer is if it's had a large number of problems and is considered a "lemon"

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
You do get free coverage that first year but the good people at the Apple store do treat you differently if you purchased AppleCare; even in the first year. This from personal experience. All my experiences have been good or excellent depending on the AC condition... However with my black MB I went to BestBuy because they even cover accidental incidents... very cool...

ps... I love this MB.

iJimmy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
does the lemon law apply with apple care? if repaired more than 3 times they replace it?

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
They normally take 2 weeks to repair also.
Not true. When I dropped my macbook off at the Apple store one night to be repaired, they shipped it off to their repair facility overnight. It arrived there the next day and was quickly fixed and sent back to me, and it was on my doorstep all fixed less than 40 hours after dropping it off.

does the lemon law apply with apple care? if repaired more than 3 times they replace it?
Yes.

weeman

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2007
Orange County, CA
basis. Since my White MB 2.16 (bought AppleCare with it) was having a problem after three weeks, I made contact with Apple on two more occasions before the matter was resolved. It just happened to be the day after the NEW MacBooks were released last month, so the Apple Store replaced it with the Brand New BlackBook 2.4 Penryn 250GB, b/c they didn't have any White MacBooks with 250GB HDD! Again, this was six moths after I bought my MB 2.16. :cool:

How did you get a blackbook when you originally bought a white macbook? Shouldnt they have replaced it with a white macbook?

AlexanderTgreat

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Winnipeg canada
Not true. When I dropped my macbook off at the Apple store one night to be repaired, they shipped it off to their repair facility overnight. It arrived there the next day and was quickly fixed and sent back to me, and it was on my doorstep all fixed less than 40 hours after dropping it off.

Yes.

you were lucky but most people experience much longer wait line

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
you were lucky but most people experience much longer wait line
I've always had experiences like that with every mac I've had through the years. All the way back to the early 90's, turnaround times have been extremely quick. Maybe it has something to do with my location, but it usually takes less than three days.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Well...

How did you get a blackbook when you originally bought a white macbook? Shouldnt they have replaced it with a white macbook?

I was one of those unique cases, and after six months of visits to the same Apple Store I finally filled out the email questionnaire and explained my loyalty to, not only Apple, but to that particular Apple Store by buying a Mac on the day they opened. So, customer loyalty played an important part in my situation. The email was reviewed by customer service and the Store Manager gave me a call at home and invited me to a "personal shopping spree" and so I jumped at the opportunity. The SM told me to box up my White MB and that my data would be transferred immediately. Got to the store and chose the White MB 2.4 Penryn 250GB, but they were out of stock for those specs, so the SM offered a BlackBook with the same specs and I asked "is that doable?" (not even sure if that was a word). The SM said "it's doable!" and slapped me a "high-five" and I walked out of the store in about one hour, after they transferred my data. Yes, they should have replaced the White MB with a White MB, but the SM was "going the extra MILE" for a loyal customer. I even got a personal email from the SM, ensuring that I was completely satisfied! :p:cool:

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
For the people who are discussing the approximate wait time for repairs, don't forget about Apple's service known as ProCare. With ProCare you get priority repair service. I had a hard drive issue and because I have a ProCare membership I was able to drop off my Macbook and then pick it up, finished, less than 4 hours later. Obviously this was an inhouse fix. In the end there was very little down time.

iJimmy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008

Yes.

so when they replace your MB with the lemon law, do they replace it with a the up-to-date model or the same model that you have/had?

f1

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
so when they replace your MB with the lemon law, do they replace it with a the up-to-date model or the same model that you have/had?

Apple does not have a lemon law, they will keep repairing your computer until it is no longer deemed to be repairable by an apple tech, or if you demand one and escalate your issue up the chain. The only exception to this is if local laws in your area trumps the rules set by apple. And if they do replace your computer they will replace it with the up to date model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.