Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Hopefully it won't turn into another "Passbook" that nobody uses.

I use Passbook regularly, but I will admit that I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of adoption.

If you add a boarding pass to your Passbook from American Airlines app, it will automatically update with the gate and time info, and as you approach the boarding time an entry will appear on your home screen.

Swipe the slider and the boarding pass comes up immediately, with no other fumbling while people behind you wonder why you don't just use a paper boarding pass.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Emergency Card would be a nice feature. If I'm injured, there should be a way for medical to contact someone on my list.

Blood Pressure would hopefully integrate with my Withings Blood Pressure. I track mine weekly. Weight to integrate with the Withings scale.

As far as steps, I can care less which hardware it uses or its own built-in with the phone.

I just don't want to have to buy another blood pressure kit or scale to make it work with my healthmate app.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I'd rather not obsessively monitor all of this stuff day in and day out. I want to just live life without worrying about things like this. I hope this is an app from the App Store and not one preinstalled and not delete-able.

Just move it to the last page in a single folder. You never need to look at it. What is all this obsessiveness with apps that can't be removed?

paradox22

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
If they can implement this seamlessly and beautifully as described ( the true Apple way) It has the potential for another revolution. However I don't see oxygen level, blood pressure, blood sugar etc useful or necessary for that matter for the mainstream user. After all those sensors are the difficult ones to implement anyway.

Just because they are difficult to implement doesn't mean that it is not useful or that they find a better method of implementation. And who are the mainstream user of the iPhone? Are you saying the mainstream users don't care about their health? Blood pressure, sugar levels, and oxygen levels are extremely important to know especially if you can track that data in an easily viewable timeline. Keeping track of these three factors alone can tell you a lot about the condition your body is in. Simply by looking at the trends of your vitals can alert you if your health starts to decline or encourage you if your health starts to look better all of which is key to preventative medicine. This can be extremely valuable information especially considering more than 40% of US deaths are preventable. Just because you think the "mainstream user" would not find it useful or necessary, which is an over generalization to begin with, does not mean that would be the case at all.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If Apple has been hiring health experts this year, that feels like a 2016 rollout to me.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Where in this report did it say this information would be shared with Apple?

It didn't. I don't need to read my own assumptions. The entire report is an assumption anyway. This healthbook thing may never exist.

But if it ends up doing, I bet the information within it is given to Apple. After all, how else would they tie it into your iCloud account?

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Is no one else seeing Windows 8 in this design? That's all I can see!

I miss the time when Apple made sensible color choices. :(

Such colors. Much Unicorn.

Aside that functionality wise this looks hot! And someone should slap Jony Ive and try put some sense to him. This design trend is getting to a ridiculous proportion. :mad:

This is NOT easy on the eye. Nor is it good design. :mad:

ubIvCbr.jpg

That looks god-awful. I'm about to lose all faith in Apple if this actually comes to be.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
That was my first reasoning too! I wonder if the Emergency Card will be available in the locked screen.

I've often thought that they should add an emergency contact function under the Emergency Call section, which in iOS7 is just called "Emergency" now. Maybe it'll be available there.

Attachments

• IMG_7097.PNG
    IMG_7097.PNG
    120.3 KB · Views: 79

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Just move it to the last page in a single folder. You never need to look at it. What is all this obsessiveness with apps that can't be removed?
Passbook is such a waste. Pretty much almost every app Apple makes is on the last page in a single folder for me. Sure wish we could make our own default for Mail and Browser apps. Then all the Apple apps could be there (deleted would be better).

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Just because they are difficult to implement doesn't mean that it is not useful or that they find a better method of implementation. And who are the mainstream user of the iPhone? Are you saying the mainstream users don't care about their health? Blood pressure, sugar levels, and oxygen levels are extremely important to know especially if you can track that data in an easily viewable timeline. Keeping track of these three factors alone can tell you a lot about the condition your body is in. Simply by looking at the trends of your vitals can alert you if your health starts to decline or encourage you if your health starts to look better all of which is key to preventative medicine. This can be extremely valuable information especially considering more than 40% of US deaths are preventable. Just because you think the "mainstream user" would not find it useful or necessary, which is an over generalization to begin with, does not mean that would be the case at all.

I didn't imply they are useless just because they are difficult to implement. All I'm saying is that average iPhone user (kids that are posting stuff on twitter, instagram, that are gaming, taking photos, or businessmen replying to their emails, task managing etc) would care greatly about their fitness health but if you're not a diabetes patient you wouldn't care much about your blood sugar. If you are not an athlete you wouldn't care that much about your oxygen saturation. They would be cool features to test out and look at the first couple of weeks for the average Joe, and it would be cool to know they are there but it would eventually share the same fate as most of Samsung Galaxy tricks or Passbook, Siri for that matter.

On the other hand I can definitely see monitoring activity (pedometer), monitoring sleep, nutrition, heart rate etc becoming a game changer for everybody. I for one would use them on a daily basis. Again, repeating myself but, blood sugar, pressure, oxygen saturation etc would be overkill for the average consumer.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I use Passbook regularly, but I will admit that I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of adoption.

If you add a boarding pass to your Passbook from American Airlines app, it will automatically update with the gate and time info, and as you approach the boarding time an entry will appear on your home screen.

Swipe the slider and the boarding pass comes up immediately, with no other fumbling while people behind you wonder why you don't just use a paper boarding pass.

I use it, too. For example, I bought an activity from Viator and put the ticket into Passbook so it'll be easy to access when I get to the checkpoint. The original poster just doesn't leave the house very often, lol.

TimWillz

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Amazing

This looks absolutely amazing. If Apple can actually incorporate all of this into healthbook it will be truly revolutionary.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I miss the time when Apple made sensible color choices. :(

That looks god-awful. I'm about to lose all faith in Apple if this actually comes to be.

Did you lose faith in Apple when this came out?

Podcasts-app-before.jpg

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Passbook is such a waste. Pretty much almost every app Apple makes is on the last page in a single folder for me. Sure wish we could make our own default for Mail and Browser apps. Then all the Apple apps could be there (deleted would be better).

Its only a waste because companies don't use it. Instead they all create their own store cards so I'm left with different apps on different spaces/pages. Apple solved the issue with passbook, one app you open and see all your cards. Takes up one space instead of 12

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Did you lose faith in Apple when this came out?

I did doubt their sanity a bit, but mostly I shrugged my shoulders. While I think they went somewhat overboard in that instance, it didn't physically hurt my eyes to use the app. The reel-to-reel tape animation was even sort of endearing, but ultimately the performance of the app suffered, which was my major complaint about it.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Another useless and irremovable icon added to the iOS homescreen.

1. Not useless at all. Many people will probably use this.

2. iOS 7 has folders. iOS 7 has multiple page folders. iOS 7 has folders with multiple pages inside of other folders with multiple pages. If you don't like something taking up space on your home screen you do not have to look at it.

mrholder

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
Just another app to throw in the junk folder, IMO. I care about my health, but don't care for it to get recorded and tracked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.