Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benroberts3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Kansas City
Did anyone notice from the WWDC 2023 Keynote, that the Apple Watches the presenters wore were all set to 10:11? This was noticeable in multiple shots and across various product announcements.

This is such a small detail but it is wild that Apple will go so far as to have all the watches post the exact same time with the hands positioned to show off the watch.

Truly incredible detail on Apple's part.

Reactions: chabig and Silencio

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
the Apple Watches the presenters wore were all set to 10:11?

That's related to a long tradition in the watch business, where analog watches are always set to 10:10 in adverts. Apple probably tweaked the practice to signify "moving forward" or something similar. An interesting thing to compare would be if marketing produced during the Sir Jony era used 10:10 or 10:11 (my guess would be 10:10 since he loves luxury brands plus Angela Ahrendts came from Burberry).

ifrit05

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
Kinda the same reason why iPhones are always at 9:42 AM in these things as well, as it was exactly the time when it was announced and unveiled in videos (pretty meta if you ask me). They have always been stuck at that time since.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Gosh, and all this time I thought 9:42 was a Beatles reference (Number Nine) and 42 was everyone's favorite Answer to the Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

benroberts3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Kansas City
That's related to a long tradition in the watch business, where analog watches are always set to 10:10 in adverts. Apple probably tweaked the practice to signify "moving forward" or something similar. An interesting thing to compare would be if marketing produced during the Sir Jony era used 10:10 or 10:11 (my guess would be 10:10 since he loves luxury brands plus Angela Ahrendts came from Burberry).
Totally agree with you on that and it's commonplace in the watch industry. BUT here is what is crazy, when you see the hands at 10:10 or 10:11 that is a photo. Easy to Photoshop or even just stop the watch at that time and snap photos.

WWDC was a prerecorded video that was either shot in the morning or early afternoon. No way would they time a keynote video shoot just to show off 10:10 on their Apple Watches. Plus, half the time no one even notices because the watches are dark. On Tim Cook and John Ternus's wrists, their Apple Watch Ultras showed 10:10 during random shots when you could just barely see the watch face but it was still noticeable.

I think for me, it's such a small random detail that Apple is cognizant of and exemplifies perfection in everything they do.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Except the phones are all set to 9:41, not 9:42.
I also enjoyed these other books almost written by Douglas Adams:
The Food Truck One Block Before the End of the Universe​
Life, the Universe and Everything but the Dark Matter​
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish Sticks​
Approximately Harmless​
And Almost but Not Quite One More Thing...​

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Totally agree with you on that and it's commonplace in the watch industry. BUT here is what is crazy, when you see the hands at 10:10 or 10:11 that is a photo. Easy to Photoshop or even just stop the watch at that time and snap photos.

WWDC was a prerecorded video that was either shot in the morning or early afternoon. No way would they time a keynote video shoot just to show off 10:10 on their Apple Watches. Plus, half the time no one even notices because the watches are dark. On Tim Cook and John Ternus's wrists, their Apple Watch Ultras showed 10:10 during random shots when you could just barely see the watch face but it was still noticeable.

I think for me, it's such a small random detail that Apple is cognizant of and exemplifies perfection in everything they do.

Honestly, I don't think Apple deserves that much credit here because the conscious use and manipulation of wardrobe and props is standard practice in marketing and advertising (as well as in court trials and in politics). Plus it would be a simple matter for Apple coders to make an app that displayed any desired fixed image on a device. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple provides such an app to movie and TV producers as part of its product placement packages.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016

It’s interesting that, according to that article, Apple Watch launch promotions showed 10:09. So maybe the current use of 10:11 is related to some progression in WatchOS or in major generations of the Watch.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

In all likelihood they were wearing dummy watches. No way would they want a notification or phone call to interrupt the recording.

macbookm1airlover

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2021
I agree with what nicho said above...In every iPhone photo, it's always 9:41 with exception to if it was an ad showing them using the phones at different times to highlight battery life. It would start at 9:41, then be random after that. In most every watch photo, it shows 10:09 with exception to what I mentioned above.

However, I have always been curious during keynotes where it shows Craig/Tim/whoever using a product in a demonstration, how they always get it (especially Apple Watches with a moving dial) exactly right. Amazing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.