Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jseymour

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2018
S.E. Michigan, USA
It's not 'spyware' then, it's scanning things in iCloud accounts.
The first is arguable ;) and the second inaccurate, but...

I'd think Apple would have to be completely insane to carry through with that now.
I agree with this ^^^^^

Not that they won't, eventually, but it would be insane to try to slip it in surreptitiously with this security update.

That being said: This update was in the "news" this evening. My wife: "You don't supposed Apple would...?"

Reactions: VulchR

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
What law gives US companies to sue Israeli companies over this? Don’t confuse allegation of hacking a server (the claim in your cited case, which is US and not international, byway) with writing software.

What laws against hacking user data did this company violate?
Even if you can't find that law, the company operates in the US under some different names. So maybe sue those "subsidiaries" first?

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Even if you can't find that law, the company operates in the US under some different names. So maybe sue those "subsidiaries" first?
Unless you want to get poured out for failure to state a claim, and maybe get sanctioned for a frivolous lawsuit, you need “that law” which would apply to the subsidiary and which would hold a subsidiary, a separate legal entity with no control over its parent, potentially liable for the actions of the parent. What law would that be?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Unless you want to get poured out for failure to state a claim, and maybe get sanctioned for a frivolous lawsuit, you need “that law” which would apply to the subsidiary and which would hold a subsidiary, a separate legal entity with no control over its parent, potentially liable for the actions of the parent. What law would that be?

Unless there are legal professors who know the law inside and out, that question seems to veer towards bullying than being helpful to the discussion, IMO.

It would seem that there *should* be a law that would allow Apple to penalize that company for their actions, but there are a lot of incidents that *should* have laws to protect victims, but there is no law on the books that address that wrong. A lot of those incidents that are left untried are technological based, and the creation of laws to address those wrongs is fraught with interference by groups on all angles of the issue, and a bought and paid for legislative branch.

Legislation SHOULD be there to protect Apple and their customers from wholesale capricious surrendering of their privacy for no official reason. That the companies 'tools' have been used indiscriminately should be no surprise to anyone. That they exist in the hands of a foreign country and are used so freely with no accountability should alarm everyone.

Reactions: VulchR

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Unless there are legal professors who know the law inside and out, that question seems to veer towards bullying than being helpful to the discussion, IMO.

It would seem that there *should* be a law that would allow Apple to penalize that company for their actions, but there are a lot of incidents that *should* have laws to protect victims, but there is no law on the books that address that wrong. A lot of those incidents that are left untried are technological based, and the creation of laws to address those wrongs is fraught with interference by groups on all angles of the issue, and a bought and paid for legislative branch.

Legislation SHOULD be there to protect Apple and their customers from wholesale capricious surrendering of their privacy for no official reason. That the companies 'tools' have been used indiscriminately should be no surprise to anyone. That they exist in the hands of a foreign country and are used so freely with no accountability should alarm everyone.
I disagree. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, don’t say “sue.” That we’ve become so fragile that asking for support for a position is “veering toward bullying” is just sad.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I disagree. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, don’t say “sue.” That we’ve become so fragile that asking for support for a position is “veering toward bullying” is just sad.

To ignore that there wrongs in the world isn't productive. Yes, 'we' have turned into a very litigious society, but not all litigation is wrong. Lawyers are bad, until you need one. Life insurance is really a waste of money, until you have a covered loss. There are a lot of examples of things that are not needed until you actually need them. To demand, from a nonlegal audience, 'the law' that would be worthy of litigating is pedantic and tiresome, but we are all entitled to our own opinions. *shrug*

• Disagree
Reactions: Deguello

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
To ignore that there wrongs in the world isn't productive. Yes, 'we' have turned into a very litigious society, but not all litigation is wrong. Lawyers are bad, until you need one. Life insurance is really a waste of money, until you have a covered loss. There are a lot of examples of things that are not needed until you actually need them. To demand, from a nonlegal audience, 'the law' that would be worthy of litigating is pedantic and tiresome, but we are all entitled to our own opinions. *shrug*
You’re conflating asking for a cause of action with ignoring something. I didn’t say litigation was wrong. I asked what the basis for the purported lawsuit would be.

The non-legal audience shouldn’t default to “sue” if the non-legal audience doesn’t know the basis for the suit. That you think asking for support for a position is pedantic, well, that’s certainly one opinion. If one is insufficiently informed to support a position, one shouldn’t assert that position.

• Haha
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
You’re conflating asking for a cause of action with ignoring something. I didn’t say litigation was wrong. I asked what the basis for the purported lawsuit would be.

The non-legal audience shouldn’t default to “sue” if the non-legal audience doesn’t know the basis for the suit. That you think asking for support for a position is pedantic, well, that’s certainly one opinion. If one is insufficiently informed to support a position, one shouldn’t assert that position.

That would decimate 'social media'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.