Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac38728

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2024
USA
The most important questions are: will M4 MacBooks support pro motion via Thunderbolt and will apple release displays with pro motion simultaneously?
i hope, a pro display xdr with promotion and maybe tweaked specs would be nice. Also would hope to see a matte finish that dosent impact the resolution as much

Reactions: UnbreakableAlex

wowee

macrumors regular
May 23, 2015
You get use to that over time. M2 Max makes M1 Max slow, M3 Max makes M2 Max slow, a future M4 Max makes M3 Max slow. :D
Dont worry. It’s built in to the updates to slow your older hardware down. I know updating completely made my old laptop unusable.

• Haha
Reactions: KeithBN

DanVM

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2022
Im not actually that interested… what would interest me is if they re released the 12 inch Macbook with apple silicon… that would be an instant buy..

I bought a surface laptop go for the reason that its just such a good size and shape. They dont have anything in the lineup in this size anymore… my surface laptop go and a 12 inch Macbook would be my ideal combo for all my computing needs at home and on the go!
Check out the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Nano. It's lighter and thinner, with similar dimensions as the Surface Laptop Go, with the benefit of a 13" screen.

ThinkPad X1 Nano Gen 3 | Ultralight, Intel® Evo™ certified 13 inch business laptop | Lenovo US

I suggest waiting for the release of the Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite models. It should have better performance and battery life compared to the current Intel model.

Ael_MR

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2018
What kind of work are you doing that a M3 Max feels slow? i don’t believe you lol
I am joking but there are tons of posts of people needing the kind of power you find in datacenters on their laptop. I am just following the crowd around here. :p

mac38728

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2024
USA
I am joking but there are tons of posts of people needing the kind of power you find in datacenters on their laptop. I am just following the crowd around here. :p
Yeah that’s what I thought lol. If you really need that much power get a Mac Studio with a ridiculous amount of ram.

TabithaES

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2024
Have they announced any concrete details on what the M4 will do for """AI""", aside from The neural engine is going to be like sooo huge ?

maczaddy

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2024
NY
I have been waiting forever to get a new Mac since my last iMac 2013. I was finally going to do it when the M3 15 inch airs come out this year with 16 gigs of ram to future proof myself but should I wait another year for these AI Mac’s?

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
I'm feeling pretty good about my M3 Pro purchase. The 'M3+AI=M4' marketing-math is not compelling. I would love to see a fresh super-ultra-portable 11" or 12" design.

Reactions: Chuckeee

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Just reiterating the previous rumors about the M4 without adding any additional content. Just repeats what previously been said concentrating on the MacBook Pro line
Is that worse than reporting on the iPhone 17 the other day?

I remember people complaining about the lack of rumors in years past. Maybe, this is supposed to alleviate the tension.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Im not actually that interested… what would interest me is if they re released the 12 inch Macbook with apple silicon… that would be an instant buy..

I bought a surface laptop go for the reason that its just such a good size and shape. They dont have anything in the lineup in this size anymore… my surface laptop go and a 12 inch Macbook would be my ideal combo for all my computing needs at home and on the go!
It will go great with the iPhone 16 mini.

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
The only way they can keep increasing the performance of these chips is keep adding more cores.

They cant shrink these chips past 2nm anymore.

They cant increase the frequency much more. They had to crank up frequency of M3 chips to 4 GHZ. Past that you need expensive water cooling

We are getting down to the wire on shrinking CPU's any further. Cant crank up frequency past 4 GHZ cause major money investments in cooling.

• Disagree
Reactions: KeithBN

arlomedia

macrumors member
May 5, 2021
I typically upgrade my laptop (which I use as my main workstation) every three years, but my M1 Max from October 2021 is still handling all my projects quite well. On the other hand, I waited four years last time (waiting for an Apple Silicon MacBook Pro) and was really struggling that fourth year. So I'm not sure if I need an upgrade, but late 2024 would be good timing. I do have two older laptops that I use for lighter tasks and they're getting too old to be useful, so it would be nice to replace those with the M1 and get the new M4 for my main machine.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Number of ANE cores is not by itself interesting.
More interesting is that ANE currently doesn’t scale from A to Max; it’s the same size on every chip.
There’s an interesting business model issue here as to why they chose this (want to run the same ML models at same performance across the entire generation?) and whether they will change it. Because right now you have this crazy situation where the ANE is a great accelerator on an iPhone, but basically useless on a Max bcs huge GPU will almost always beat it.

So I’d rather see increased core count coupled to some aggressive scaling as we increase chip size.

disciple2017

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2024
i don’t think AI feature is important at all. We can access free Microsoft copilot and free OpenAI ChatGPT 3.5 without registering an account from any web browser at any time. Why we need built-in AI on the M4 chip? Just make it more costly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.