Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
imagine, that those underage nude photos/videos are not deleted on the server.

2hj84z.jpg

plot twist: the predator is on apple.

jefhai

Suspended
Feb 11, 2021
Just another step into invading people’s privacy… totally for getting bad people caught. But I’m not for illegal search and seizure… you have to have probable cause to scan someone’s phone for illegal things. It would be like going into someone’s home and looking through their photo albums without a search warrant. Its almost certain this will go to the Supreme Court

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Just another step into invading people’s privacy… totally for getting bad people caught. But I’m not for illegal search and seizure… you have to have probable cause to scan someone’s phone for illegal things. It would be like going into someone’s home and looking through their photo albums without a search warrant. Its almost certain this will go to the Supreme Court
Its not illegal search and seizure. You are uploading your photos to a 3rd party (Apple's) service and Apple warns you that they can and do scan uploaded photos for illegal content. Its no different than you being on video when you go into a store. If you don't want your photos scanned, don't upload them to iCloud. Either keep them ONLY on your phone or use a service that doesn't scan your photos.

Altivec88

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2016
Although I understand the good intentions behind this. The reason I choose iOS in the first place is for privacy. This is a complete 180 from that. Instead of privacy, there is something creepy monitoring my photos. Yes, yes. Apple says, this is opt in to people who only want it. Just like iMessage was unbreakable a few weeks ago only to now know government agencies can break into your phone at will. I guess Pegasis 2.0 has a new feature they can implement to turn on and scan your photos for whatever they want to scan it for. Government agencies will love that new feature.

If Apple was sincere with the opt-in, this feature should be a separate downloadable extension and not fully baked into iOS. My phone battery already doesn't have enough charge to last a day, now I am going to have something constantly scanning everything that enters and leaves my phone. This is getting beyond ridiculous. I have no kids and I am not a creep. I don't want or need this type of monitoring on my phone. I will not be upgrading to iOS15 and this may very well be my last iPhone.

cire1244

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
My phone battery already doesn't have enough charge to last a day, now I am going to have something constantly scanning everything that enters and leaves my phone. This is getting beyond ridiculous. I have no kids and I am not a creep. I don't want or need this type of monitoring on my phone. I will not be upgrading to iOS15 and this may very well be my last iPhone.
Just don't turn it on then? The post clearly says that noting will get scanned unless you activate it for your kids.

Altivec88

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2016
Just don't turn it on then? The post clearly says that noting will get scanned unless you activate it for your kids.
Once its baked into the OS, it makes it exponentially easier for bad actors to turn it on for you without you knowing. Maybe even revise what its looking for. Not that I care because i have nothing to hide. I just don’t agree with Apple’s direction of completely veering from privacy and changing it to monitoring.

Pochi Hanaki

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
They're underage and as the courts have ruled, any underage nude photo on your device can get you jail time,
That is not correct. Nude photos of minors is not illegal. What is illegal is sexual images of minors. Don't believe it then rent Pretty Baby and American Beauty. Two instance of nude girls under 18. No one was arrested for making or viewing those movies.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Doesn't most teenagers want nudity?

I would be pretty upset if my parents kept such a tight lease on me when I was young.
Sure I remember being 13. I had an iPod Touch so it wasn't before the digital age. It's just that people are obviously going to be blowing up over them drawing a line at that age when it comes to child safety. The only way for them to avoid this controversy was to probably not make these features and instead leave it to third party app developers. This kind of thing seems uncharacteristic for Apple since it creates so much controversy around it, and I just personally don't think it's a smart direction for them to go. And of course, the icloud thing announced today obviously sounds creepy and everyone has strong opinions about that.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
Why limit the feature just to children? I have a couple of friends (attractive women in their 20s) who definitely wouldn’t mind an automated filter for unsolicited nude photos from guys.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
Okay -- that's much more understandable now and it appears to be a smart implementation. I wish this was clearer initially, rather than appearing to be a Big Brother move.
It never appeared to be a Big Brother move to anyone but paranoid researchers who heard it was launching today via word-of-mouth and started shouting that the sky was falling.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
Growing kids in this contemporary social media/encrypted messaging age must be a true nightmare...
When I was a kid in the 90s it was so much easier for parents to keep their child safe with no internet access (at least where I live).

I don't want kids but I imagine it would be very hard nowadays to strike a healthy balance between protecting your children while giving them some freedom and keeping them under 24/7 surveillance with the risk of making them paranoid and mentally unhealthy.

I have so much respect for parents these days as the dangers children face have multiplied considerably in recent years.

On the other hand it's clear that children with oppressive and controlling parents grow up with many difficulties and are often prone to anxiety and feeling of being persecuted, not to mention most of them fly off the handle once they're 18 or 21 as they feel too euphoric when they brake free of the parents' control.

Most of my friends that had serious trouble with drugs, degeneracy and crime (even if still just petty crimes) had very strict and controlling parents.

Minxy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2012
Okay -- that's much more understandable now and it appears to be a smart implementation. I wish this was clearer initially, rather than appearing to be a Big Brother move.
My understanding is that ALL iCloud stored images are ALREADY scanned by Apple as a way to placate US authorities and this is not something you can opt out of.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
For some reason, this feels half-assed to me. If Apple's intention is to protect the children, then they should scan for gore/violent images as well. I feel like those images are as disturbing, if not more disturbing, than unsolicited nudes for young children.

edit: grammar
This.
I never understand why people fear the human body more than the act of hurting others.

_Spinn_

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2020
Wisconsin
My understanding is that ALL iCloud stored images are ALREADY scanned by Apple as a way to placate US authorities and this is not something you can opt out of.

So then is this just Apple’s first step in implementing a “smarter” way to do all this locally?

Reactions: Hardijs and DanTSX

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
Except it’s not the government… this isn’t new and isn’t a violation of anyone’s rights. It’s opt in… and… just read the article. Smh.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013

Yup. There are better ways to catch the perverts and creeps. Old fashioned police work will do.

Since Apple all of a sudden is very concerned about CP, perhaps they should simply use their incredible lobby power to enact stiffer punishments for offenders and contribute to therapy for victims.

I remain suspicious that this is a dual-use technology. The CP concern is the public facing public relations use case. Some government bullied Apple into bending the knee and join the surveillance infrastructure. And I’m no longer viewing China as the sole default boogeyman after the ongoing public freakout in the USA over the past 24 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.