Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by GetSome681
Also, someone mentioned how an internal firewire drive would require no configuration at all. Not to start any Mac vs. PC arguments, but you can run Cable Select on almost ALL new PC motherboards. I just stick hard drives in there and they're recognized...no need to play with jumpers anymore. Not to mention that SATA will do away with jumpers for good.

All the new PowerMacs work this way also.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Cappy
It's not impossible by any means. The real question would be the why unless there was some new technology that sped harddrives up.

Firewire takes less configuration and can handle more devices per channel.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002

Also, someone mentioned how an internal firewire drive would require no configuration at all. Not to start any Mac vs. PC arguments, but you can run Cable Select on almost ALL new PC motherboards. I just stick hard drives in there and they're recognized...no need to play with jumpers anymore. Not to mention that SATA will do away with jumpers for good.

Not to start any "you don't know what you're talking about" arguements but cable select works on Mac too but you still have to play with jumpers once which is more technical than just putting the hard drive in and having it work.

GetSome681

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2002
Originally posted by madamimadam

Not to start any "you don't know what you're talking about" arguements but cable select works on Mac too but you still have to play with jumpers once which is more technical than just putting the hard drive in and having it work.

My g4 might be older, but I do know that if I leave both drives' jumpers on cable select, I never end up seeing them. Putting them that way in my PC, and they're seen. I'm just speaking from EXACT personal experience. If this isn't the case with newer macs, then my apologies.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002

My g4 might be older, but I do know that if I leave both drives' jumpers on cable select, I never end up seeing them. Putting them that way in my PC, and they're seen. I'm just speaking from EXACT personal experience. If this isn't the case with newer macs, then my apologies.

What G4 you have??? I am using a PM 533 (Digital Audio Series) and I have used cable select before.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA

In my experience with PCs, not all HDs or ATA controllers behave the same with the cable select setup. Some require one drive to be master, some require both to be explicitly set, and some are just fine using cable select.

It's more of a crap shoot than anything else, unfortunately.

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Originally posted by MacBandit

I'm not trying to aid in this rash of rumors that DJ_Tricks has unleash. I'm just putting in my own 2cents.

I personally don't care what someone says they heard or starts as a rumor in a rumor site. This is simply because rumors are rumors and this is because they aren't facts so therefore they don't require even one shred of truth.

I'm starting a rumor right now in the middle of this thread.

Steve Jobs came to me in a dream last night and said that the replacement for the cube is going to be released at Macworld in January. It will be shaped as an obelisk and will hover around following you every where with a camera on top to watch your every move. 1984 is coming. The Obelisk Mac will have Quad ppc970 processor and 2 iTanium chips also just for good measure. It will have 1 terabyte of hard drive space on a Quadrabit Wireless Firewire. In fact everything about it will be wireless even the cpus. The thing will not need batteries simply using gravitational waves as energy to power it. It will also not need a display as it will be in constant two way communication directly with the users brain. If an unfortunate soul happens to pass between the Obelisk and the current user that person will be reprogrammed and immediately become an Apple user slave. The true innovation of the Obelisk mac comes in that the cpus are simply there to be an interface with the world wide computing cluster (more on this at another time). The real processing power will come from the user own brain which most of the time will be completely tied up in a grand scale of distributed computing for Apple. Apples distribute computing process will be in the research of human replacement androids. The androids are needed because humans are more crash prone then Windows 95 on a 486 computer with 32MB of ram.

It was one hell of a nightmare but sources that I have contacted at Apple have assured me that I will be assimilated and resistance is futile.

Well considering we all know Steve has been able to almost perfect the Reality Distortion Field over the years, this seems like a likely rumor. Gravity distortion seems like it would be even easier than reality. I just hope they don't have problems with hair line cracks showing up in the Oblisk's case. THAT is what killed the cube. Any mention about a quieter fan than the current G4's? Or will it even need them?:p

cheers!

-John

GetSome681

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2002

What G4 you have??? I am using a PM 533 (Digital Audio Series) and I have used cable select before.

400 Sawtooth. Cable Select has never worked for me. I've always had to select master and slave, as it's always a pain, b/c not all drives illustrate jumper settings on the drive, and i always end up having to look it up on the manufacturer's website. I think almost all new ata drives though have the illustrations now.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If people were confused about SCSIs pick a number not already used scheme, there's bound to be more problems with ATA drives and looking at websites and pictures trying to figure out Master/Slave settings.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Re: Re: Re: you know what deal with it

Originally posted by sparkleytone

i think you can just plain suck it. alot of times, hell most of the time, i write without the use of capitals (get it right) because i just don't feel the need to capitalize when what is being read is understood. on the other hand, quite a few of your sentences, regardless of punctuation and/or capitals, make absolutely no sense whatsoever. so do us all a favor, quit flaming people for things such as grammar, punctuation, capitals, etc and learn to read and write in a clear manner. there is yet another "old" saying. those that live in glass houses should not throw stones.

I think you missed the part where I said those of you who care about spelling, grammar, etc. to get over it (and the partial sarcasm). And yes, I too find it ironic that I misspelled CAPITALS. Even after I noticed my mistake, I left it in there. I stand behind my statement that it's kind of hard to take him too seriously. I don't think it was as bad a flame as some others obviously did, and (unlike you, ironically enough) I don't think I personnaly attacked anyone. Read my second post to this thread.

So no, I won't suck it. :p

And I'm not living in a glass house, because I'm not getting all mad because people won't believe me when I say something stupid that can't possibly happen (there, that was a personnal attack). And unlike this poster, I can take being flamed. I screwed up, and I made a mistake (my sig is just a Dennis Miller joke, I do know that I make mistakes).

Sue me.

So tell me, do you think DJ_TRicks is actually right about this?

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by Sun Baked
If people were confused about SCSIs pick a number not already used scheme, there's bound to be more problems with ATA drives and looking at websites and pictures trying to figure out Master/Slave settings.

You are kidding, right?

Master/slave, watch what you put on the same channel...that's about it.

For scsi you have the id's and termination with termination being the tough one for people to get right most of the time. Now is that passive termination or active? Why don't I need to add a terminator to this cable? It's built in now? Oh, and which device should be closer to the adapter so that speed is not reduced? You mean it doesn't matter with this spec? Well it did with the old spec. But now it depends on how old the first device in the chain is.

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002

Firewire takes less configuration and can handle more devices per channel.

Not if the bandwidth isn't there. SerialATA will be about as plug&play as you can get and it's closer to being here than firewire is.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002

Not if the bandwidth isn't there. SerialATA will be about as plug&play as you can get and it's closer to being here than firewire is.

What, you think you can max out 100MB/s?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002

You are kidding, right?

Master/slave, watch what you put on the same channel...that's about it.

For scsi you have the id's and termination with termination being the tough one for people to get right most of the time. Now is that passive termination or active? Why don't I need to add a terminator to this cable? It's built in now? Oh, and which device should be closer to the adapter so that speed is not reduced? You mean it doesn't matter with this spec? Well it did with the old spec. But now it depends on how old the first device in the chain is.

Not really, they don't understand where to plug in the cable how/where to move the little bridges on the pins to set up the ATA drive or where and how to install the drive in the computer.

Just because you think it's cake, doesn't mean somebody else will get confused pluging in the airport cards and/or memory sticks.

Remember there is still a group of people that takes their computer to somebody for upgrades and program installations. And anything involving opening the computer is very scary for them.

Which means that for them adding an external Firewire drive may be something they can handle. Adding an external scsi drive may be something they can handle with tech support, but an internat ATA drive...

And yes, adding multiple internal SCSI drives would rank way out of bounds for these people.

Just imagine the horror for them when they see what's involve for a HD swap in the new iMac/eMac machines where improper use of thermal paste can really mess you up.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Chisholm

Well considering we all know Steve has been able to almost perfect the Reality Distortion Field over the years, this seems like a likely rumor. Gravity distortion seems like it would be even easier than reality. I just hope they don't have problems with hair line cracks showing up in the Oblisk's case. THAT is what killed the cube. Any mention about a quieter fan than the current G4's? Or will it even need them?:p

cheers!

-John

No fan. Some sort of ionic cooling. Charges the air particles at the inlet and uses magnets/gravity to pull the air through. I'm not sure what the case was made of. Maybe just some sort of forcefield.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
It seems like there are a number of people around here just waiting for someone to pounce on, beat their chest a few times, and in the end look like a moron. Granted the original poster doesn't help themself any but lets keep an open mind about some things around here.

LOL no sh*t. i cant believe people are bitching
about capitalization....what a bunch of pnssies.
i really lost a lot of respect for a bunch of
familiar avatars.

bitch bitch bitch...jesus christ.:mad: :eek: :p

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
TechTV's TheScreenSavers is doing a one hour report on had drive tecnology, past, present, and future that may be of interest to participants in this thread.

4:00 PST, TechTV.

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Originally posted by MacBandit

No fan. Some sort of ionic cooling. Charges the air particles at the inlet and uses magnets/gravity to pull the air through. I'm not sure what the case was made of. Maybe just some sort of forcefield.

But if you go separating ions, wouldn't that create a bunch of dust bunnies when the negative ions attach? Maybe an enclosed system with freon cooling would work.

And could the force field case be opened so I can put a silly colored neon light inside to impress my lame friends? This is important to me. I hope Steve is listening.:p

Is this off topic? Sorry, didn't feel like bashing poor Grand Flash Master DJ_Rickey any more. Give the boy a break already!

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Chisholm

But if you go separating ions, wouldn't that create a bunch of dust bunnies when the negative ions attach? Maybe an enclosed system with freon cooling would work.

And could the force field case be opened so I can put a silly colored neon light inside to impress my lame friends? This is important to me. I hope Steve is listening.:p

Is this off topic? Sorry, didn't feel like bashing poor Grand Flash Master DJ_Rickey any more. Give the boy a break already!

I don't know about all the inside working after all this was just a dream that Steve Jobs invaded. I'm sure Steve is listening to your imput right now. He can see your through your monitor you know.

york2600

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
Saying this, at the moment, drives are no where near fast enough for firewire to be of any benifit, it would just be wasted bandwidth.

Not that I consider myself an expect, but having read a lot of articles on new ATA technologies I have 2 cents to throw in here. No drive is fast enough to saturate a ATA100 bus, but ATA133 buses show an obvious (but not amazing) benefit. The drives can use this speed for internal transfers and other communication. It's not necessary moving data back and forth, but it's signally can move faster allowing the drive to work faster. That all said hard drive are slow. We all know that. Anyone with a Tibook knows that. The drives suck.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ideas!!!

First off I'm glad that the later posts in this thread have chilled a bit.

First off in the Capital world, as someone mentioned before, its Freedom of Speech. However, just as rapper Ice T. said in one of his songs, the remaining part to that is ..."just watch what you say". What I mean is that when someone has an idea, that isnt popular, the massive will jump shout scream and riddicule in protest to make that person feel small or recant their idea to follow the norm. Sad that this has happened in this forum, because as I recall we're all Mac heads here right? At least the Majority of us?! And does any of us Mac heads remember Apples slogan "Think Different"????!!!!???? Ponder that a moment please before any of this ridicule continues, please.

Sorry but I felt that was important to everyone including myself!

I'm new to the Mac world in usuage but have always admired the features and technology that went into Macs. I have no idea how this cable thing with switches and the ATA Hard Drive works, but I do remember hating the more than one HDD jumper ordeal of the old PC world--highly annoying.

Also, How does any of say can say FOR SURE that a FIREWIRE CHANNEL HARD-DRIVE doesnt exist? Dont know about any of you but most research departments in corporations dont publicly announce their new technologies with patents secured first and them being close to an actual working prototype.

Also, does anyone remember the first MacWorld broadcast of the XServe that Steve #### did, announcing that the XServe actually has a Rapid IO channel 6.4Gbps port within it??? Can anyone confirm this?? ALso what would this port be used for? connecting to the RAID Drives slated for the XServe? or is it for the Hard-Drive internal that is mentioned in this rumor thread?? Lastly, Maxtor has ATA/150 MBps HDD already on the market---currently the only ones, while IBM is ready to release 7400RPM HDD for laptops--FINALLY!!!!!

Please keep thinking different, its what sets us out among the rest.!!

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
with regards to the new cooling system ,think about the overclocking possiblities. I heard that apples new g5 chips were ging to be so cool that they have prototype quad-laptops in their labs. I got a look and used one. The only problem was that the 19" widescreen made it a bit clumsy on my lap but oh well.

Let the rumors fly. And all of you loosers out their who hammered the little fellow, we are here to <i>discuss</i> and have a bit of fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.