Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Dont know if everyone has seen this yet, but apparently even though its a PC the designers have an Apple background. http://www.oqo.com/
an adaption of this makes more sense than a pda to me.
G.jpg

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Looks like a newton 2000.

This gizmo is almost a usable computer; but it's too limited for those who want a real computer, and expanded in the wrong ways for those who want a compact system. And it's horrendously expensive too.

I don't think Apple should make such a thing.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
first off, apple doesnt need to make it...another company already has. and it may not be the most seemingly viable system right now, but i think its much more promising that a PDA. eventually when the price comes down i think it may be a great computer item

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by cubist

I don't think Apple should make such a thing.

I wouldn't be so sure.
If you keep up with PC tech news from time to time, you're going to hear a lot about tablet PCs and especially Microsoft Windows XP Tablet Edition.
M$ is betting on the tablet being the next big thing and if they're right, Apple will have nothing to compete with it.
If it suceeds.;)

The great thing about a Tablet is that's it modular. It's (almost) small enough to double as an MP3 player, can be put in a laptop-like case with a bigger screen, keyboard and trackpad, and what the hell, you can even put it in a desktop system, complete with PCI and AGP slots. (okay that one's fake, but interesting, no?;))

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
these guys offered it to apple and they turned it down.

i'm guessing that what jobs & co are banking on is that when bluetooth and wireless really kick off our desktops (or laptops) really will be the (digital) hub and that there will be no real demand for an autonomous (and necessarily expensive) pda/tablet. iPod iPhone (apple or other) iFridge iThis iThat will do. do you get me?

i_b_joshua

bombensington

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2002
i have seen this somewhere...but i seriously can't remember where. was it here? anyway, it was a fake when i saw it, they had actually pasted a promo screenshot of os X from the apple site on the screen of this. too funny.

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by bombensington
i have seen this somewhere...but i seriously can't remember where. was it here? anyway, it was a fake when i saw it, they had actually pasted a promo screenshot of os X from the apple site on the screen of this. too funny.

no this one is real and it's not an iWalk

check out medea's link http://www.oqo.com/

i_b_joshua

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by edvniow

I wouldn't be so sure.
If you keep up with PC tech news from time to time, you're going to hear a lot about tablet PCs and especially Microsoft Windows XP Tablet Edition.
M$ is betting on the tablet being the next big thing and if they're right, Apple will have nothing to compete with it.
If it suceeds.;)

The great thing about a Tablet is that's it modular. It's (almost) small enough to double as an MP3 player, can be put in a laptop-like case with a bigger screen, keyboard and trackpad, and what the hell, you can even put it in a desktop system, complete with PCI and AGP slots. (okay that one's fake, but interesting, no?;))

tablet PC's are supposed to be rather large, not small enough to really consider as an MP3 player. From what I've seen and heard, they will be about the size of a laptop. What use are they without the keyboard, input through writing is cumbersome. I actually don't see any advantage a tablet PC has over traditional computers other than perhaps you could put a bigger screen on there than most laptops, but it wouldn't even make them more portable cause you'd still need to cart along a keyboard attachment if you wanted to use one (and everyone would)

Personally, I think apple would be better looking for a very different direction to go in, and I think apple's getting it. By not focusing on computers as the be all and end all of computing, but rather lookng at their interaction with home electronics (and making some of those electronics, like the iPod), I think apple has really nailed the way computers are going to be integrated into the household. I believe rendevous is a big part of that. Now I just want o see a few more things come form them, maybe stuff related to home stereo, and home management, and TV (whether in a tivo like concept or something else). Thats where the future of computing is in my opinion, not in a cmputer that has the form factor of a large PDA.

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by strider42
Personally, I think apple would be better looking for a very different direction to go in, and I think apple's getting it. By not focusing on computers as the be all and end all of computing, but rather lookng at their interaction with home electronics (and making some of those electronics, like the iPod), I think apple has really nailed the way computers are going to be integrated into the household. I believe rendevous is a big part of that. Now I just want o see a few more things come form them, maybe stuff related to home stereo, and home management, and TV (whether in a tivo like concept or something else). Thats where the future of computing is in my opinion, not in a cmputer that has the form factor of a large PDA.

thanks,

that's what i was trying to get at only you said it better.

apple doesn't tend to follow the pack unless it really needs to.

i_b_joshua

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
Not to burst everyone's bubble BUT:

The guy who makes these offered it to Apple as a new Apple product and guess what: Apple turned him down.

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
Originally posted by medea
yeah I thought the serial port was kinda funny, who still uses serial here>?
would someone please tell me what a serial port is???

im being sarcastic...but i do know lots of people who are familiar with USB but no clue what a serial port is...

someone tell me why it has firewire...sure it's better than usb...but practically the only things that use it would be ridiculous to connect to this thing (edit DV video on this???i think not...how about that Firewire Scanner/Printer? NOT NECESSARY!!) and i see no mention of a serial port on their site...just a link dongle that connects in that port...is it serial? y use a serial port when it already has USB/Firewire?

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by shadowfax0
Not to burst everyone's bubble BUT:

The guy who makes these offered it to Apple as a new Apple product and guess what: Apple turned him down.
hey! i said that already! :)

i_B_joshua

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.