Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The International Herald Tribune reports on upcoming computer-cellphone hybrids that offer more functionality than traditional cell phones.

The article discusses what Apple may finally release on Tuesday at Macworld San Francisco. They reference unspecified "industry executives and competitors" and makes some interesting claims about Apple's rumored phone:

Apple has developed the first of the next generation of devices that are closer to personal computers in pocket form, meaning that they will easily handle music, entertainment, productivity tasks and communications on cellular and other wireless networks.

Certainly, many have hoped that Apple would enter the "smart" phone marketplace, perhaps finally reentering the PDA market after the demise of the Newton in 1998.

Without specific sources cited, however, this may simply be a rehash of existing Apple Phone rumors.

Macworld Expo kicks off on Tuesday, Jan 9th at 9am Pacific and MacRumors will provide live coverage.

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
I feel like this is the 14th time I've posted this on different threads... but man I hope this happens on Tuesday. I am ready with CC in hand.

theROZ

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2004
MS keynote

just finished watching the most boring MS keynote ever...they presented not one new idea or fresh approach....i certainly hope that if apple does release an iphone it blows ms into the toilet....

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Settle down people! Settle...

Remember the iPod speaker media event debacle. Obviously bigger things will happen at a Macworld expo, but try not to get your expectations so high that no real product could possibly meet. No doubt some super cool things are about to come out, but let's try and keep at least 1 foot on the ground at all times.

Aww heck, forget all that, just go nuts!

:D

Lunja

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2005
Lincoln UK
It's interface will have to be as good as Nokia's Symbian system to sway me...

Are we thinking about this the wrong way though? Why would Apple try to compete with Motorola in making a normal phone? Would it not be better off heading into the BlackBerry market? That would offer incredible integration possibilities...

tvguru

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Kenora, ON Canada
I hope this is true. I'm thinking about buying a Blackberry when I return home in just over a week. Come on Apple throw a wrench into my plans.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
People say they want this and that feature in the iPhone (ie slide out keyboard, wi-fi, 'smartphone', etc). I don't think Apple is going after the business market, just like with their computers and software. If/when they do come out with an iPhone, it will have new features that cater to the regular house hold consumer who likes music, photos, movies, IM, web (kind of like the sidekick). But it's not going to be a business executives dream (nor do I want it to be).

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Computer plus cell phone. I hope all carriers can use it.. I also am hoping that it is WiFi enabled for easy iChat usage... man.. mano man.. i am exited.. I cant decide weather to boycott the internet on Tuesday and wait till Wednesday to watch the keynote or just look at it on MacRumors Live...

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
If it Happens... It Better be Good!

I just don't want Apple to put out a crap device that is a regular phone. It has to be what this rumor is talking about. A smartphone that is the best media device on the market... next to the motorola stuff.

I am waiting for that. Not a candybar shaped junk device that does nothing out of the ordinary. I would love it (and Apple has the power :D ) if I could replace my Palm TX and crap Sprint LG phone with a device that is an Apple smartphone with OS X light. :D If it doesn't use Sprint's system I will switch!

Meh... why keep dreaming. If it happens it happens but if it happens it better be good.

p.s. ["God is the one who chooses our rulers" - Katherine Harris, 08/24/06] No He does not!

mkjellman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2003
the biggest thing is...with Windows Mobile 5 and my Treo 700w I have come to live by Active Sync.....I'm a diehard apple user but i use products that let my exchange server connect with my mac..and everything originates from the palm most of the time...

if apple doesn't have active sync connectivity or blackberry connect, it will be a flop if they want to enter the smartphone/pda market

Lunja

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2005
Lincoln UK
If/when they do come out with an iPhone, it will have new features that cater to the regular house hold consumer who likes music, photos, movies, IM, web (kind of like the sidekick). But it's not going to be a business executives dream (nor do I want it to be).

I'm not bothered about music, movies or IM on a phone. I'd much rather they teamed up with Canon to make a phone with a decent camera :p

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
is anyone else surprised at the complete lack of any "real" leaks? in the past we've had some pretty accurate leaks, along with a ton of crap, but at least a few things have come through. the shuffle for one, the first flat screen imac, the nano. still a little more than 36 hours, but it is interesting.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
iPhone... psh.

Just give me a PDA or Mac Tablet, Apple.

I don't know, despite all of this hype and rumoring about an iPhone, I don't think we'll see it.

Of course, I had the same feeling about Intel chips... The rumors weren't quite hitting me and making me feel all excited inside and couldn't believe Apple would make such a move.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Ok maybe I'm not thinking outside of the box enough, but "smartphone"? A computer-cellphone hybrid? Rather you mean a PDA?? They're speaking of "next-gen" cellphones but it sounds like an ordinary PDA to me. I don't understand what could be so revolutionary that isn't already out (as far as the phone market is concerned). I do believe that if Apple did bring something to the table they could definitely market it better than anyone else has done, but still....

Or maybe Apple intends to finally kill the gap between PDA's, Phones, and MP3 players and reveal a magical all-in-one device (that actually works).

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
We already have smarts in the market. What I would like from Apple is pretty as well, at least from a GUI standpoint. Brains and looks. Bring it Apple.

I doubt it will be a PDA. The day Apple rereleases a PDA is the day the MN Vikings win the Super Bowl. (Translation: The apocalypse will occur.)

sartinsauce

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
Los Angeles
is anyone else surprised at the complete lack of any "real" leaks? in the past we've had some pretty accurate leaks, along with a ton of crap, but at least a few things have come through. the shuffle for one, the first flat screen imac, the nano. still a little more than 36 hours, but it is interesting.

Bothered, no. I'm resigning this MWSF to be a ho-hum keynote. Like many have said, I think the most exciting thing we'll see it more Leopard previews and features. Probably we'll see the iTV again. Shipping dates announced for both, taking orders now. I don't expect any new devices. It'll be interesting to see what (if anything) the mainstream media does if an ApplePhone isn't released. There's so much media presence at the keynote's these days, I'm curious to see a response to a boring keynote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.