Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Bruh, I just went to get my iPhone exchanged and had Apple install a screen protector for me.

They clamped it down to a machine, and look what I just found when I got home and inspected my new iPhone.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
This is crazy. Why are these guides even necessary for installing protectors on perfectly flat and flat-sided phones? You’d think it would be pretty easy to line up the edges and freehand it with these models...

But also: damn, that finish is SOFT AF.

These are retail store employees hired for their diversity and customer facing qualities, not experienced Foxconn employees.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Just when my previous screen protector alignment tool scratched my iPhone yesterday, they let me exchange it. This time I got THEM to install it. And they scratched it even worse!!!

Is that silver?

Yes!

This is crazy. Why are these guides even necessary for installing protectors on perfectly flat and flat-sided phones? You’d think it would be pretty easy to line up the edges and freehand it with these models...

But also: damn, that finish is SOFT AF.

To get it align perfectly and quickly I guess. The guy removed the original white film screen protector that was packaged with it and immediately put it in the installer contraption that they clamped in.

And yet the managed to get one spec of dust at the edge.

• Sad
Reactions: 5105973

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Sorry about what happened. If you put the phone in a case, will you see it?

If you plan on taking the phone back for exchange, assuming that on is available, there is no guarantee that you won’t get other imperfections. You might want to reconsider. You might feel differently. Hope it all works out.

One other thought. Do you still have your old phone? If so, you might consider mailing the phone back and reordering. Good luck.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Just when my previous screen protector alignment tool scratched my iPhone yesterday, they let me exchange it. This time I got THEM to install it. And they scratched it even worse!!!

Yes!

To get it align perfectly and quickly I guess. The guy removed the original white film screen protector that was packaged with it and immediately put it in the installer contraption that they clamped in.

And yet the managed to get one spec of dust at the edge.
I would fully inspect with employee before put in machine and then obvious if comes out messed up.

Reactions: symphony

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
New iPhone 12 Pro: $999.
Screen protector: $20.
Cab fee: $25.
New scars inflicted on the new iPhone by a stranger installing the screen protector: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: bevsb2 and 5105973

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
I would fully inspect with employee before put in machine and then obvious if comes out messed up.
I spoke with a supervisor at the store, he said he will help me out and check if the machine is at fault. I mean, if my plastic alignment tool scratched mine, so will theirs I guess. I just don’t know how to tell them that, but they think plastic won’t damage polished steel
[automerge]1603563613[/automerge]
I found even more scratches!!!!

Last edited:

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
At least Silver can polished easily unlike other colors since there's no PVD coating. My silver hasn't shipped yet but now I'm considering canceling and trying to go with Graphite in store.
Why would you get graphite?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I would definitely get back to that store today. Hopefully, the employee that handled your phone will still be there. I would not leave that store without a new phone and screen protector applied.
[automerge]1603564235[/automerge]
Maybe it’s your dry skin and nails causing the damage
No need to be rude.

Last edited:

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Sorry about what happened. If you put the phone in a case, will you see it?

If you plan on taking the phone back for exchange, assuming that on is available, there is no guarantee that you won’t get other imperfections. You might want to reconsider. You might feel differently. Hope it all works out.

One other thought. Do you still have your old phone? If so, you might consider mailing the phone back and reordering. Good luck.
I don’t use a case. My iPhone 11 Pro silver looks flawless. That’s why this scratch bothers me, cuz #1 it’s worse than my previous iPhone and #2 it came like that, it didn’t happen when I used it.

Yeah, I’ll see what happens with the supervisor. But I had both silver and graphite reserved. They’re the last ones. I was going to cancel the graphite but I guess I’m keeping it. But I really wanted white. 😭

at least me and the supervisor will find out if the machine does scratch it. Cuz when I watch them do it, they had to squeeze it into the frame.

Hopefully PVD won’t get scratched by plastic!

Reactions: killr_b and 5105973

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I don’t use a case. My iPhone 11 Pro silver looks flawless. That’s why this scratch bothers me, cuz #1 it’s worse than my previous iPhone and #2 it came like that, it didn’t happen when I used it.

Yeah, I’ll see what happens with the supervisor. But I had both silver and graphite reserved. They’re the last ones. I was going to cancel the graphite but I guess I’m keeping it. But I really wanted white. 😭

at least me and the supervisor will find out if the machine does scratch it. Cuz when I watch them do it, they had to squeeze it into the frame.

Hopefully PVD won’t get scratched by plastic!
If they had to squeeze the phone into the frame, that is the problem. I don’t recall employees having to do that on previous phones I had.

Now I understand why Belkin went with using cardboard guides on the retail packing for the protectors.

Reactions: Bdubbs and 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.