Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
iOS 8 wasn't very responsive when I first got my 6. Do you think it's something they will fix in time?

The number of unregistered finger presses increased with iOS 9. Have they borked the touchscreen cpu usage? The drivers? (If they exist)

I had the 5s from launch and when I went from iOS 7.1.2 to iOS 8.0 it was abysmal. By iOS 8.4.1 it was vastly improved.

That's the entire issue here. Apple spend the best part of a year getting the latest version of iOS to its most stable state ... then replace it with a new .0 version and the cycle begins again.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I think people are getting the use of the term "lag" mixed up in terms of what it means to them.

This is the first year I've stepped off the annual upgrade train ... well, I don't want a larger iPad so I won't be getting a new iPad for the first time in four years.

So perhaps "lag" means one thing to some and one to another. iOS 9 simply does not feel as fluid or responsive under the finger or to the eye as iOS 8.4.1 on the most recent devices.

Great thought. For me it involves two aspects: frame rate AND pause. Add these two together and in some cases it becomes highly noticeable. o_O

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
iOS 8 wasn't very responsive when I first got my 6. Do you think it's something they will fix in time?

The number of unregistered finger presses increased with iOS 9. Have they borked the touchscreen cpu usage? The drivers? (If they exist)

this is main reason I ditched 9 and went back to 8.4.1, I was tired of having to double tap an icon just to get it to register... someone in another thread mentioned it could be the coding in ios 9 for the 3d touch, may just need some performance tweaks in the code for non 3d touch devices... hoping its fixed soon cause i wouldn't mind giving 9 another shot

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I had the 5s from launch and when I went from iOS 7.1.2 to iOS 8.0 it was abysmal. By iOS 8.4.1 it was vastly improved.

That's the entire issue here. Apple spend the best part of a year getting the latest version of iOS to its most stable state ... then replace it with a new .0 version and the cycle begins again.
Except this has been apples best release information years, for some. For others not so much. It's always ymmv.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
That's true, i dislike animations and have turned them off since the days of Windows Xp, released 8/24/2001. So I've been turning off as many animations as I can for the last 14 years. However this is my use case.

To each their own, I guess. I also turn off as many of the animated eye-candy effects as I can. It's not that I want to improve performance, I just don't need them and don't like them. I don't need the OS to treat me like someone who needs to be entertained by OS visual effects.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Except this has been apples best release information years, for some. For others not so much. It's always ymmv.

Agree. iOS 7 and 8 took forever to get to a point where they were usable for most users. Not little things, either - things like huge numbers of people not being able to connect via wi-fi. The biggest B&M about 9 seems to be that some people think some elements are "laggy" or not "buttery." Compared to prior versions of iOS, that's an improvement.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
No one has shown that iOS 9 is faster than a clean install to iOS 8. Thus until someone has solid proof the objective fact is that iOS 9 doesn't improve perofrmance (epscieallt in terms of app opening speeds) over iOS 8. iOS 9 may fix a dodgy install of iOS 8, but that's an unfair test. People's perception that iOS 9 is faster doesn't count for anything other than perceotion.

How fast something is, is not an opinion. That is objective. If apps open slower that means worse perofrmance, regardless of how fast the interface is.

Please bring to mY attention proof that iOS 9 is faster. Otherwise it is purely opinion. You don't account for a poor install of iOS 8 in your perceotion.

They're not my video so, and in every single speed test video I've seen s far, iOS 9 constantly is slower.

Again - you can perceive iOS 9 to be faster but that is purely perception until you have solid evidence. You say it yourself - " in my use case". Your use case is not a fair comparison given the number of variables ( dodgy iOS 8 install etc). A clean install with and without a restore from backup are reallt the only fair methods of testing two versions of iOS to objectively declare one faster than the other.

App launching means nothing for overall performance.

So are you saying an i7 desktop with a HDD has worse performance than an i3 with a SSD? After all, Apps will certainly load faster with the SSD over the HDD. Therefore, i7 is worse?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Agree. iOS 7 and 8 took forever to get to a point where they were usable for most users. Not little things, either - things like huge numbers of people not being able to connect via wi-fi. The biggest B&M about 9 seems to be that some people think some elements are "laggy" or not "buttery." Compared to prior versions of iOS, that's an improvement.

Let's see - broken VPN, wifi doesn't work, stuck in the middle of upgrade, data keeps turning off, airplane mode awol, etc...

Little stuff. :mad:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Let's see - broken VPN, wifi doesn't work, stuck in the middle of upgrade, data keeps turning off, airplane mode awol, etc...

Little stuff. :mad:
Those don't appear to be iOS 9 specific issues as much as they are basically upgrade issues that various people run into pretty much with any upgrade (especially when its a major version upgrade).

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Those don't appear to be iOS 9 specific issues as much as they are basically upgrade issues that various people run into pretty much with any upgrade (especially when its a major version upgrade).

These are documented iOS9 specific issues - not 6S specific. There are many more.
To some it may be "complaining" or "B&M". To those affected: it is a serious PITA or a use killer.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
These are documented iOS9 specific issues - not 6S specific. There are many more.
To some it may be "complaining" or "B&M". To those affected: it is a serious PITA or a use killer.
I can't say I've come across most of them. Doesn't seem like there are many or almost any complaints about WiFi not working, or data turning off, or airplane mode going missing...seems like forums like this one would be full of them if this was something widespread and inherent in iOS 9. And I certainly agree that some people have these issues and that it's not good and that hopefully those people will get them figured out. I'm basically saying that on the overall scale there are less big and/or important widespread issues than there seemed to be with iOS 8 or 7, similar to the other poster that you replied to earlier.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I can't say I've come across most of them. Doesn't seem like there are many or almost any complaints about WiFi not working, or data turning off, or airplane mode going missing...seems like forums like this one would be full of them if this was something widespread and inherent in iOS 9. And I certainly agree that some people have these issues and that it's not good and that hopefully those people will get them figured out. I'm basically saying that on the overall scale there are less big and/or important widespread issues than there seemed to be with iOS 8 or 7, similar to the other poster that you replied to earlier.

Exactly. Compared to the **** storms that happened with iOS 7 and 8, 9 has been positively tame.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2013
I've been consistently disappointed with iOS since 7.0 and while the iPhone hardware is as beautiful as ever, the software running on the phone is ugly both inside and out.

I really wish that Tim Cook would come to his senses and realize that firing Scott Forstall was a HUGE mistake considering how vital he was with creating the iOS that I used to love. Craig Federighi seems to be a nice guy and a charismatic keynote speaker, but he also seems to be pretty incompetent when he comes to his role as software chief. Having Jony Ive and his design team take control over UI was also a terrible move on Cook's part. While nobody can deny Ive's abilities as an industrial designer, he and team cannot design UI to save their lives. Forstall on the other hand, knew what he was doing on both the UI and UX aspects and was honestly the closest thing to Jobs in terms of personality and work ethic. Apple needed both Ive AND Forstall for balance and to retain the Apple that Jobs rebuilt which Tim Cook is now gradually destroying because he lacks vision and only cares about profits and pleasing Wall Street.

A popular phrase on this forum is "Steve would never have allowed this" and that completely rings true when it comes to Cook's boneheaded decision to fire Forstall over an unlabeled beta of an in-house map service which obviously improved over time. The whole Apple Maps debacle pales in comparison to iOS 7+. Steve Jobs would never have fire Forstall not just because he saw a lot of himself in him, but because he was skilled and efficient and produced mostly quality software that help up to Apple's standards. In retrospect, skeuomorphism is also much more visually pleasing and functional than a flat, childish and lifeless UI. iOS devices became less enjoyable and much less fun to use after iOS 7.

iOS 6.1 was the last good iOS release, it was stable and beautiful (the way it should always be).

And yes, I know Forstall was apparently difficult to work with and an *******, but guess what? So was Steve Jobs! Apple needed and still needs an executive with the mentality of Jobs to keep things in line and they had that in Scott Forstall. Jony Ive has way too much control and power now and Tim Cook said that by firing Forstall would increase collaboration but in reality, it was just an excuse to let Ive do whatever he wants with no checks and balances.

Apple with their seemingly endless wealth and resources should either re-hire the man who made iOS possible and great or at least hire engineers and UI designers who actually know what the F they're doing.

#BringBackForstall

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
I've been consistently disappointed with iOS since 7.0 and while the iPhone hardware is as beautiful as ever, the software running on the phone is ugly both inside and out.

I really wish that Tim Cook would come to his senses and realize that firing Scott Forstall was a HUGE mistake considering how vital he was with creating the iOS that I used to love. Craig Federighi seems to be a nice guy and a charismatic keynote speaker, but he also seems to be pretty incompetent when he comes to his role as software chief. Having Jony Ive and his design team take control over UI was also a terrible move on Cook's part. While nobody can deny Ive's abilities as an industrial designer, he and team cannot design UI to save their lives. Forstall on the other hand, knew what he was doing on both the UI and UX aspects and was honestly the closest thing to Jobs in terms of personality and work ethic. Apple needed both Ive AND Forstall for balance and to retain the Apple that Jobs rebuilt which Tim Cook is now gradually destroying because he lacks vision and only cares about profits and pleasing Wall Street.

A popular phrase on this forum is "Steve would never have allowed this" and that completely rings true when it comes to Cook's boneheaded decision to fire Forstall over an unlabeled beta of an in-house map service which obviously improved over time. The whole Apple Maps debacle pales in comparison to iOS 7+. Steve Jobs would never have fire Forstall not just because he saw a lot of himself in him, but because he was skilled and efficient and produced mostly quality software that help up to Apple's standards. In retrospect, skeuomorphism is also much more visually pleasing and functional than a flat, childish and lifeless UI. iOS devices became less enjoyable and much less fun to use after iOS 7.

iOS 6.1 was the last good iOS release, it was stable and beautiful (the way it should always be).

And yes, I know Forstall was apparently difficult to work with and an *******, but guess what? So was Steve Jobs! Apple needed and still needs an executive with the mentality of Jobs to keep things in line and they had that in Scott Forstall. Jony Ive has way too much control and power now and Tim Cook said that by firing Forstall would increase collaboration but in reality, it was just an excuse to let Ive do whatever he wants with no checks and balances.

Apple with their seemingly endless wealth and resources should either re-hire the man who made iOS possible and great or at least hire engineers and UI designers who actually know what the F they're doing.

#BringBackForstall

Lol comparing my 6.1.2 4S to my "beta phone" 8.x 4S, you can see the flaws of the Jony Ives Era. iOS 7.0 till 7.1 was the worst! In my school with iPad 2's, all the kids who took the plunge all saw there iPad's freezing on them in the middle of class! Sometimes, we had 6 or 7 iPads freeze up during class!

When IOS 6.x first came out, I was shocked about the downgrade in preformance and the New UI and, hated it! However, after 7.x came out, I appriciated 6 and, hated 7 with a soul! I then thought that Apple's iOS could not get worse (Preformance wise) and, Boy was I wrong lol!

After 7.1, I hit my sweet spot in Apple. 7.1.2 has been bulletproof reliable (just like 6.1.2 on my 4S!) And, the only reason I am keeping my iPad Air I is because of the nested folders! Without it, I'd be long gone!

iOS 6 had its flaws and problems (Apple Maps) but, we all make mistakes and, I agree, I miss Forestall (and the old UI!) Steve Jobs would have never fired him or, Allowed Jony Ives to redesign iOS completely! Right now, he is probally crying in his grave seeing the degression of his company!

Overall, I miss the Steve Jobs Era of Apple. He showed "TRUE" innovation with the iPhone AND iPad and, created the tablet market we love today! He did not copy companies as friviously as Apple Today and, as a genius, kept the company alive.

Now in the Jony Ives era, I've lost faith in Apple. Right now, I'm getting a Android phone and a Android Tablet (chinease iPad Air clone with 64GB of memory and is duel booted between Windows 8.1 and KitKat) (Android OS 4.4.2) (I hate Windows 8.1 a ton but, I like it better than iOS 8-9)

Apple's getting pretty redundant right now and, even with the Apple Watch and the iPad Pro, I'm tired of there shenanigans!

Sum1WhoWorksAtApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
I am here unofficially. Apple has people looking at forums like these (macrumors, 9to5mac, etc) to see what issues and concerns arise. Keep posting issues and well keep reading.

Also before you get so angry and inflammatory, keep in mind, we are all human too. Making changes and improvements takes time. Rome wasnt built in a night, neither was ios9. As we always do and have, we will get bugs corrected and fixes added. It takes time.

Lastly, we can make ios9 better with YOUR input! If you are still running the beta use feedback assistant. If not, use apple.com/feedback.

Thanks for your time. We know that with your suggestions and eyes, we can make ios9 exceed your expectations and more.

~Sum1WhoWorksAtApple

At WWDC 2015 (June, 8) Apple presented the new major update for iOS,iOS 9.
Apple talks about what's new in iOS 9 and promised:
Some new features
New Apps
Much more
And the main change Bugs/Lags/Glitches Fixes And better battery life.
The developers received iOS 9 beta 1 with much bugs.
In September all users excited to receive iOS 9.
At September, 16 all users installed iOS 9 with smile :) because Apple promised Bugs/Lags/Glitches Fixes And better battery life.
But No!
The battery in iOS 9 drain faster than other iOS version, Apps crashes, All animations with lags, Safari bugs and much more.
So where are you Apple?! Tim you have enough battery to call me?!, Craig the switcher in your iPhone works without lags?!, Phil your iPhone works smoothly?
I think not ,Apple you sold a huge iOS devices and now all users stuck with the worst iOS ever, iOS 9.
Where the smoothly of iOS 3-6?
Since iOS 7, iOS not works good like before versions, You had 2 years to fix iOS, but still after 2 years has the same bugs/lags.
We want a stable and smoothly iOS without Bugs and Lags.
If someone from Apple read this please do something about iOS.
Thanks and sorry about my English.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Rome wasnt built in a night, neither was ios9. As we always do and have, we will get bugs corrected and fixes added. It takes time.

Lastly, we can make ios9 better with YOUR input! If you are still running the beta use feedback assistant. If not, use apple.com/feedback.

Thanks for your time. We know that with your suggestions and eyes, we can make ios9 exceed your expectations and more.

~Sum1WhoWorksAtApple
I get cracked up whenever I see iOS update logs. They fix non existent issues and blatantly ignore real issues reported by beta testers or regular users in forums.

For example: Pepole have been reporting lag and stutter since ages. Why don't iOS team fix lag and stutter issues once and for all. Microsoft has done it with Windows. I have never seen even Intel Atom based chipset stutter in animations there. IDevices from iPhone 5S onwards have excellent GPU. But why do they stutter?

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
I am here unofficially. Apple has people looking at forums like these (macrumors, 9to5mac, etc) to see what issues and concerns arise. Keep posting issues and well keep reading.

Also before you get so angry and inflammatory, keep in mind, we are all human too. Making changes and improvements takes time. Rome wasnt built in a night, neither was ios9. As we always do and have, we will get bugs corrected and fixes added. It takes time.

~Sum1WhoWorksAtApple

Thank you for your time and dedication :D

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
You're definitely right about this. It feels very stable. I just hope Apple is really working very hard about fixing performance. For one thing, just get rid of that ridiculous app launch delay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.