Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I understand the expectation for a new and faster adapter, but just for a reversible adapter, it's ridiculous! How lazy are people becoming these days?

It's easy: If the plug doesn't easily fit, turn it around; no need to look or turn on the lights.

To me, these news are a waste of time.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
How about wireless or Bluetooth charging instead we will not worry about getting a new dock device to listen to music with.:(

Packdude

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
How many times do you plug/unplug your lighting-cable into a USB port?

Mine usually stays connected to the power adapter.

I have one cable that stays plugged in for my iPhone 4. My other cables are always unplugged from the power adapter. Easier to store/carry in my backpack that way. A reversible plug doesn't excite me that much, but it would be nice. And as others have already said...what took so long?

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Can someone tell me again, why there's so much hype surrounding this new cable? I didn't bother reading the previous articles because, well, it's... an uhh...it's a USB cable.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I'm still confused how they're managing to swap the pinout of the USB cable when the orientation is changed without using a chip.

The way I imagine it is that the "tongue" in the middle of the reversible plug has two sides, each side has the same pinout but the other way around. So if you rotate the plug, it ends up being the same each time.

Like this:

bDb2zGd.png

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I have a high enough IQ to know that making something more convenient (even if it wasn't particularly inconvenient before) is still improvement, and not something to rant about.

But my IQ is still high enough to know that some things are "good enough" and that all the hoopla around a small detail, though it obviously will provide improvement-- granted it actually works as intended and doesn't destroy my USB port, is something I find comforting to rant about.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
But my IQ is still high enough to know that some things are "good enough" and that all the hoopla around a small detail, though it obviously will provide improvement-- granted it actually works as intended and doesn't destroy my USB port, is something I find comforting to rant about.
So far, there has been very little hoopla about this cable (and none, officially from Apple). Just a few posts on rumor sites like this one.

Keep ranting, if you want to make it seem like a bigger deal than it is.

----------

Can someone tell me again, why there's so much hype surrounding this new cable? I didn't bother reading the previous articles because, well, it's... an uhh...it's a USB cable.
There hasn't been any hype. At least none from Apple, so far. Officially, this cable doesn't exist. No giant billboards touting it. No SuperBowl commercials (no commercials at all). No special keynote addresses to highlight it as the next new thing.

There have been some quotes attributed to high-level Apple executives, but they are fan-fiction (i.e., made up quotes).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.