Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evan22

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2006
Rockland, MA
Have any of you ever read a copy of the user manual for this? I seem to have a copy of it on my HD. I can post it to my iDisk public folder if anyone wants to read it. There is some pretty interesting info in there.

evan22

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2006
Rockland, MA
Something I realized as I was looking at other people's STB pics, is that my STB has a fan, and others don't. Also, my STB only has a card installed in the shorter slot. Does anyone know what the longer slot is for?

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 512

macintoshtech

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2006
Salem, MA
The PDS Slot

Is that slot actually a PDS slot, because if it is couldn't we just run wire taps to another PDS slot (a makeshift adapter card) to the correct pin numbers? There must be pins on the full size PDS slot that are not used, im thinking that this slot must be a variant of it to save space (and make it proprietary) only using whats necessary. But then again I could in left field somewhere playing solitaire on a PC. :D

I know i've joined the discussion kind of late, but I just bought one on eBay the other day (after years of curiosity) and am determined to get the thing to work at least as a mac with video ports....not that it could do to much being an LC, but would be cool to show off. I thought I read somewhere years ago that someone was able to swap out the ROM from a different mac and get it to boot properly. I can't find that now for the life of me though.

-Nate :cool:

evan22

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2006
Rockland, MA
I was actually talking about the RAM-type slots, but there is also a PDS-type slot too. I read on some other posts that it is slightly longer than a standard PDS slot, though. Do you know what the other slots are for? I think one is for the ROM card. BTW, a copy of the user manual and the BT white paper are in my iDisk's public folder (.Mac name evan22).

macintoshtech

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2006
Salem, MA
Heres A Link To A Site With Defunct Apple Products Including The Set Top Box

http://www.theapplemuseum.com/index.php?id=45

Apple Interactive Television Box

Development: 1993 - 1995
Status when discontinued: product announced / test phase
Type: Digital television set top box
Codename: ?

In cooperation with British Telecom (later renamed BT), Apple started developing an interactive TV set top box in 1993. Initial prototypes were tested internally only, but in 1994, Apple and BT launched a ITV trial in Britain with approximately 2,500 households participating. The media server technology was provided by Oracle. Later, the trail was expanded to Belgium where Apple was cooperating with Belgacom. A six-state US trial phase was announced in May 1995 featuring an educational programming by The Lightspan Partnership, Inc.
The final version of the Interactive Television Box featured a 68040 processor, 4 MB RAM, a 2 MB ROM and a MPEG-1 decoder. The boot-OS was a subset of the MacOS with QuickDraw and QuickTime software. It was equipped with stereo audio RCA jacks, one Mac serial port, one S-Video, RF in, RF out, one RJ-45 Ethernet, one ADB port and a HDI-30 SCSI port and dual SCART connectors. Furthermore, it also featured a proprietary expansion slot, one additional DIMM socket and a floppy drive connector (earlier models still featured a floppy drive and had to be booted from floppy disks).
A PAL and a NTSC version were produced in very limited quantities.
The project was canceled in late 1995 when it became obvious that ITV wasn't going to become commercially successful anytime soon.

tvbox.jpg

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Apple Set Top Box Manual (PDF)

Hey guys, I got a hold of the Apple Set Top Box Manual (thanks macEfan) and I uploaded it to a file hosting site. The only catch is that after 7 days of no downloads it'll expire so if anyone would like to host it themselves go for it but, here it is for now. If it expires and nobody has a mirror just shoot me an e-mail.

It's interesting in the manual they talk about hooking up external SCSI CD-ROM drives but, it doesn't give any information to the PDS like slot unfortunately.

I also downloaded the PDF from evan22 which is 3.7mb. The file I got is only 2.8mb - the difference is his file has chapters and mine just shows Page 1, Page 2 etc...odd eh? :rolleyes: :D :)

Download link:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/562801/

Attachments

• apple-stb-cover.png
    apple-stb-cover.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 467

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Yay! I got the Set Top Box model 1 from MacEffects :)

MacEffects was kind enough to send me his Apple Set Top Box Model 1. Here are a few photos taken with my iSight, I'll take some more later with my better camera. It looks like it's supposed to connect to a Macintosh motherboard, my guess is a Mac LC II since the Apple STB board has a 120-pin LC PDS slot. So I guess this would plug into the LC II computer and would...work. I have a Macintosh LC II but, I can't get to it right now. Still here's a pic. I'll take more later. :D :)

EDIT: More photos!

http://web.mac.com/ibook238/iWeb/Site/Apple STB.html

Some of the folks on Applefritter.com said that it would probably work with an LC/Performa 475 Motherboard - I don't think I have an LC 475 but, I think I have an LC 467 or something alone those lines. I haven't tested out the power supply but, I believe it's dead. If I find out any more information I'll let you guys know. :)

Attachments

• apple-stb1-web.jpg
    apple-stb1-web.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 383

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
wow thats awesome that you got such a cool apple device! Looks like your STB has a fan- most of the ones I have seen lacked a fan.

after you get the other motherboard, we can actually find out if you have the word's only working STB:D Hope you do, wow would that be awesome!

good luck!

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Lol

iCinder said:
I bet some fanboy is gonna take these pictures to another rumor site and proclaim this is the "one more thing" we will see on monday. Either that or spymac will post the pics and say they got them from a source deep inside Cupertino :)

Even when this was a new topic, that wouldn't have flown being that Apple hadn't produced anything with a SCSI port or a geo/DIN-style serial port in years... That's all pre OS X stuff. Course doctor in some USB and FireWire800 ports with Photoshop and it'd be good to go to fool people again.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
The Mystery of the Special LC 475 motherboard!

I got it! Here is the special Apple STB LC 475 motherboard! Complete with two output cables, and a special underside LC PDS port!!

Unfortunately when I hooked everything up and pressed the startup key on the keyboard nothing happened. The STB uses a Mac IIsi PSU which has no power on/off switch. In fact I haven't been able to find an on/off switch on the whole unit. Unless there was some special switch on it that I don't know about which could of been plugged in, which of course could now be missing. I also took the Apple remote from my old Performa and tested it, this didn't power on the machine either. So all the pieces are together including the lid of the unit which has Hard Drive brackets under it to hold the SCSI hard drive. The second square port port on the LC board is to power the hard drive, I don't have this cable with me but, I have an external power adapter which came with my USB to IDE adapter that I can use on it but, still that is to power the Hard Drive and not the unit so without the cable I wouldn't see why it won't work.

So now all the pieces of the puzzle are together...except why it won't turn on. The only thing I can think of is that there are two pins that broke off of the STB board (not LC 475 board) while shipping, I can solder these on but, I believe they are only for the composite video... unless I am wrong. Also the composite video adapter (Same as see on the Quadra 660AV) plugs into the top of the LC 475 board, although that could be in the wrong place. Maybe those ports on the LC board are for a fan or for a speaker. :p

UPDATE: Those ports are for a fan and speaker, so they were in the wrong place and the image below is labeled wrong :p Those composite connections don't belong with the STB I think, oh well :D

Anyway I'll still try and get the machine to work but, as of now it won't turn on. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great, and of course I have uploaded new pictures attached to this reply. :D

Attachments

• LC475board(web).jpg
    LC475board(web).jpg
    134 KB · Views: 416
  • STB-with-lid.jpg
    STB-with-lid.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 341
  • LC-475-special-underside.jpg
    LC-475-special-underside.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 335

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Great post, pictures and information..

More inspiration for my hybrid project that I am still finishing up. It isn't a set top box, but fun none the less (well for me).

Keep up the good work!

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Well with the LC 475 board and the Apple STB board with the Apple STB Power Supply (Mac IIsi PSU) all hooked up nothing will not boot. It won't even turn on at all. I might of found a power button/switch or something but, I'll post a pic later. ;)

I did have some success though. I removed the LC 457 board from the Apple STB board, then I took an LC power supply, and hooked it up to the special LC 475 board. I was able to boot it into Mac OS 8.1 from an old SCSI hard drive I had. When I was in Mac OS 8.1 I looked up the computer information in Apple System Profiler and here is what I got. :)

Macintosh information:
  • Machine: Macintosh 470 series
  • Machine ID: 89
  • Processor: 68LC040 @ 25mhz

Tomorrow I'll try and do the same but, with the STB board connected. So we'll see what happens. I still can't get the STB board to power up from it's own power supply, mostly because I can't figure out how to switch the thing on. More pics to come soon. :D

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
It's alive!

I used an LC series Power Supply to turn on the LC 475 board while hooked up to the STB board. The STB's fan spins! :) I tried one of the applications called "Apple E1 Player" from the extensions posted earlier. When I open it I get a window saying "Enter Movie to play:" with an editable text menu below saying "Just Hit OK, then Press Play" with Cancel and OK buttons. If I click OK I get an Unimplemented Trap bomb message. Also the splash screen says: "STB E1/T1 Sample Player" and "Copyright Apple Computer 1994"

More info to come! :)

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
LimeiBook86 said:
Macintosh information:
  • Machine: Macintosh 470 series
  • Machine ID: 89
  • Processor: 68LC040 @ 25mhz

Surprising, no FPU!

Is the processor socketed on this or soldered into place? I can't tell from the pictures :)

::EDIT::
Images are clickable (DUH!) it looks like it is a socketed chip :)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
840quadra said:
Surprising, no FPU!

Is the processor socketed on this or soldered into place? I can't tell from the pictures :)

::EDIT::
Images are clickable (DUH!) it looks like it is a socketed chip :)
Hehe :)

Oh, and I installed Mac OS 7.6 onto a SCSI hard drive, and installed QuickTime 4, I also installed Apple Video Player but, it did not detect any video hardware. I have yet to hook anything up to the RF In or RF Out ports but, I can try that later. :)

Although since no software is seeing the STB board as a TV input device I don't think any good will come out of testing them. I bypassed (actually took out) the STB power supply since when I plugged in the LC power supply with that in the LC power supply clicked so I unplugged it and it booted fine. The STB board is getting power because the Fan is spinning but, I didn't notice the LED light up at all on the front of the unit so it may not be getting the full power or, it may need to be switched on or something.

One last thing, I noticed a small tiny tiny knob-like dial on the STB board, it says "Mode" and it can be turned 180 degrees, so I wonder what that has to do with anything. Oh well, maybe I'll play with this more later. :D

evan22

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2006
Rockland, MA
STB Output

Hi
It took a while, but I finally got around to testing my STB some more. When I try turning on the box with either Composite or S-Video as output, all I get is a small blip in the video and sound. However, when I connect the STB's coaxial output and turn it on, I get a different "snow" pattern on the TV. Furthermore, if I have something connected to the coaxial in on the STB, I get a green screen when I turn it on. Sometimes, I will not get the green screen, but I will get a Mac startup chime (the one used in higher-numbered LC's, Quadras, and Centrises). My plan is to next try out an external CD-ROM, with a Mac OS with the special programs/extensions posted earlier. By the way, does anyone know what an "MPEG-2 Transport containing MPEG-1 Bit Streams" might be? In my copy of the manual, it says that that is the video standard used by the STB.
Thanks

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
I know the last post in this thread was in October, but I recently found my STB that I had forgotten I had. It's just laying around and I'm not really interested in doing anything with it and was wondering the value of this if I wanted to put it in the Marketplace or on ebay.

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
It depends on the condition, operability, literature and packaging, do you have the remote? Prices for this sort of thing are all over the place on ebay, if you get two or more collectors looking for a STB the price could rocket. Under normal circumstances though I would guess £20-£30.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
I recently saw one on ebay go for around $35 shipped.... but like many of the STB's I see, they don't come with remotes...

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
Yeah, no remote with it. I've got the plug and plugged it in, you can hear it start up, but nothing shows up on screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.