Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
And then, during the iPhone event, they finally introduce the update to the Mac Mini, that is so underpowered and offensively priced (like that iMac thingie a few weeks back) that the stock plummets again. Or skyrockets. I don't get the stock market, kudos to you who do and who make a killing in it.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
What, exactly, doesn't point to this being the best product pipeline in 25 years? If you put all of the rumors together we are going to see a vastly improved iPhone, possibly the most improved since the iPhone 4 came along...an Apple TV that acts as a true iOS device...a "watch"...a MacBook Air with a retina display...a giant sized iPad...all of Apple's biggest selling products appear to be getting a major update as well as a new product category.

Even if they all flop, or if a couple don't exist...again, how would they not look like the best product pipeline someone in Apple has ever seen?

Yeehaw, a new phone. Na. I'm not seeing it. It all must be invisible.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Why do I get the feeling this is a run up to an eventual sell off when the new iPhone is announced. The old buy on the rumor sell on the news.

its bounce down a few times because of sell orders at $100, we call this resistance. Its now at $100.40, which means "resistance is futile" :)

People should be carefull near the event or at the event, it could sell off.

I'm not so sure about this. The big news is not the iPhone 6, which everyone outside of North Korea already knows. No the big news will be if they enter new markets - that's what will generate future growth. That's what business types mean by "innovation". So if they announce an iWatch say, and it looks good, like a really good product that everyone is going to want.....watch the share price skyrocket on the news of a newly created market and the next must have product. The big news would be the announcement of a whole new must have product category - not the next iteration of the product everyone already has.

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
Exactly. I almost feel that analyst/investor expectations are often heavily influenced by the rumor mill… Almost to the point that once the product launches, it's sometimes considered a let-down because it unfairly didn't live up to the purported rumors or public expectation.

I agree in general and I think history shows that this is particularly true of AAPL. I'm just going to hold on; I think the best is yet to come.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'm not so sure about this. The big news is not the iPhone 6, which everyone outside of North Korea already knows. No the big news will be if they enter new markets - that's what will generate future growth. That's what business types mean by "innovation". So if they announce an iWatch say, and it looks good, like a really good product that everyone is going to want.....watch the share price skyrocket on the news of a newly created market and the next must have product. The big news would be the announcement of a whole new must have product category - not the next iteration of the product everyone already has.

Not necessarily so. The markets as a whole tend to look 3-6 months down the road for earnings, these days more towards the shorter end. Until the introduction date was known, the markets could not anticipate when the iPhone 6 earnings would start to appear in Apple's quarterly reports. About any other future products, nobody really knows anything. When they come into tighter focus we can start to talk about their impact on the bottom line in 3-6 months, but not now.

----------

I really hope all these analysts stop comparing APPL's price to it's "pre-split equivalent." It's pointless and irrelevant.

It's actually necessary, for at least a year.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
If it keeps going up until iPhone launch I might sell. Tech stocks always go up with hype and down with news.

It's great that it's up again. I bought in at the previous 650 USD so it was under for a looooong time.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
How much of this is due to market demand and how much is due to Apple's share buyback program? It looks more and more like Apple have used this buyback as a way of keeping the share price up at a time of flux when they have few if any new products ready to launch.

Seems odd that at a time when we've seen little or nothing new from Apple for quite some time and one product update after the next is being delayed, that we should see such a significant stock price appreciation. Something funny going on if you ask me.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
How much of this is due to market demand and how much is due to Apple's share buyback program? It looks more and more like Apple have used this buyback as a way of keeping the share price up at a time of flux when they have few if any new products ready to launch.

Seems odd that at a time when we've seen little or nothing new from Apple for quite some time and one product update after the next is being delayed, that we should see such a significant stock price appreciation. Something funny going on if you ask me.

No. There has been lots of news. When Apple was trading at $450 last year that was a price based on an assumption that LESS iPhones were going to be sold going forward. Instead there keep being record iPhones. We get great quarterly news about sales. Also Android continues to not be able to capture the high end smartphone market. At the same time Macs and iPads continue to sell at a very nice rate.

The key is not the number of product lines that Apple sells but the number of items in each product line. Apple keeps beating the nay sayers who thought that low end Android phones and tablets were going to decrease Apple sales. But that hasn't been happening.

The buyback program has an influence, but I suspect not that much. Apple is using the buyback program to, basically, insider trade on behalf of its shareholders. It strongly believes that its stock is undervalued (sitting in a position with tons of inside information) and so it is buying it back. That makes my shares more valuable. But the key thing is the continued huge sales numbers of iPhones. That is the most important part of Apple's finances.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Because its back up $700 (pre split price) and getting close to its all time high.

I know, but there was a time when MR's would literally report every bloody 50-point increment. It's annoying. Anyone who cares knows where Apple's stock is, and anyone who doesn't won't care to read about it here.

----------

its bounce down a few times because of sell orders at $100, we call this resistance.

Lol my understanding is that that's only part of what "resistance" is.

Its now at $100.40, which means "resistance is futile" :)

Don't totally get it :p

People should be carefull near the event or at the event, it could sell off.

Precisely why I sold it at $99.

----------

I bet you aren't the only one, not by a long shot. Is probably why it stayed bumping $100 for over 30 minutes this morning.

Mhm. I actually sold at $99 (forgot, lol), just because I didn't know whether it would bounce back below 98 or so after hitting $100.

Looks like I could have made an extra $1/share ='/

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
No. There has been lots of news. When Apple was trading at $450 last year that was a price based on an assumption that LESS iPhones were going to be sold going forward. Instead there keep being record iPhones. We get great quarterly news about sales. Also Android continues to not be able to capture the high end smartphone market. At the same time Macs and iPads continue to sell at a very nice rate.

The key is not the number of product lines that Apple sells but the number of items in each product line. Apple keeps beating the nay sayers who thought that low end Android phones and tablets were going to decrease Apple sales. But that hasn't been happening.

The buyback program has an influence, but I suspect not that much. Apple is using the buyback program to, basically, insider trade on behalf of its shareholders. It strongly believes that its stock is undervalued (sitting in a position with tons of inside information) and so it is buying it back. That makes my shares more valuable. But the key thing is the continued huge sales numbers of iPhones. That is the most important part of Apple's finances.

Could not agree more, very well put.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
APPL will break out above prior resistance at 705 (100.71).

The counter-factual is, this is a double top prior to a major correction, and this pairs off with the top about 8-12. A two year space between tops would mean a substantial correction in the 20% range ($80.00) or more.

Lower resistance is at $490 ($70 post-split).

For that to happen the overall market would likely have to also have a substantial correction.

Then BUY!

Rocketman

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Mhm. I actually sold at $99 (forgot, lol), just because I didn't know whether it would bounce back below 98 or so after hitting $100.

How could you possibly know, either way?

----------

The counter-factual is, this is a double top prior to a major correction, and this pairs off with the top about 8-12. A two year space between tops would mean a substantial correction in the 20% range ($80.00) or more.

For that to happen the overall market would likely have to also have a substantial correction.

Then BUY!

Rocketman

Do you offer money-back guarantees?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

Then BUY!

Rocketman

Ugh, are you really throwing out technical trading based on two years of data? I had no idea that anyone thought that prices from two years ago (with vastly different information then available) were somehow supposed to be indicative of today's prices.

At best, I would assume, technical trading is useful using information from the last quarterly report. Each quarterly report gives enough new information that it alone must "reset" everything to a new baseline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.