Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2020
I feel Apple's software underrated by most people. For me it’s very important because it is the part of your phone that you interact with, and I hate how some brands don’t care about it, especially Samsung. For example, the A51 has excellent hardware for $299, but the software it has is really bad and the phone isn’t enjoyable at all. I'm talking about a mid-range phone, but the most impressive thing here is that the $1400 S20 Ultra also has serious software issues according to some threads I read on Reddit. And it happens on most Android phones (with the exception of OnePlus and Pixel phones).

On Apple devices, that's another story. I like how much they care about software. They have been working on iOS 14 for a few months, and according to some leaks, they are already working on iOS 15. And there are things that prove it. For example, they could have just put a traditional cursor on the iPad, but they decided to redesign it for the iPadOS interface and give users a enjoyable experience. Also the gesture navigation of the iPhone X (and later), which feels well worked.

The same about software updates. I have an old iPad Air (released in 2013), and while I can't upgrade it to iPadOS 13 because it has 7 years old hardware, I still get small iOS 12 updates. It's surprising for such an old device. I don't know of any other company that gives support to 7 year old devices.

What do you think about it? Is software a priority for you?

Last edited:

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I love apple software I have MacOS watchOS TVOS iPadOS and IOS and the software this works well with every thing wish I love can't wait too see what they bring for 2020 has far has software gos

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I feel Apple's software underrated by most people. For me it’s very important because it is the part of your phone that you interact with, and I hate how some brands don’t care about it, especially Samsung. For example, the A51 has excellent hardware for $299, but the software it has is really bad and the phone isn’t enjoyable at all. I'm talking about a mid-range phone, but the most impressive thing here is that the $1400 S20 Ultra also has serious software issues according to some threads I read on Reddit. And it happens on most Android phones (with the exception of OnePlus and Pixel phones).

On Apple devices, that's another story. I like how much they care about software. They have been working on iOS 14 for a few months, and according to some leaks, they are already working on iOS 15. And there are things that prove it. For example, they could have just put a traditional cursor on the iPad, but they decided to redesign it for the iPadOS interface and give users a enjoyable experience. Also the gesture navigation of the iPhone X (and later), which feels well worked.

The same about software updates. I have an old iPad Air (released in 2013), and while I can't upgrade it to iPadOS 13 because it has 7 years old hardware, I still get small iOS 12 updates. It's surprising for such an old device. I don't know of any other company that gives support to 7 year old devices.

What do you think about it? Is software a priority for you?
In general, I agree with you. Although I can argue against in on specific things, but overall, I do see better attention to software from Apple vs other phone companies. But it is not unexpected. Apple had experience in software. Let's compare that to Samsung, who had their experience in hardware. Prior to the explosion of smartphones and smart appliances, you don't need such advance software to make TVs/refrigerators. Thus, Apple has had more experience in software than most phone makers out there.

As for updates, it cannot be helped. And it is unfortunate. I have an Honor View 10. It has an excellent build quality, 6GB RAM, 128GB storage, and its performance is more than enough for 2020. However, it is stuck with Android 9 and December 2019 security patch, without any hints of further software updates. I don't mind the OS, but security patches are increasingly more important nowadays than anything else, and it is sad that the Android ecosystem has been training the consumers to "accept" the lack of software and security updates.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Nowadays android and iOS software situation is more like “pick your poison” scenario where you choose the one that is less intriguing and less painful to use. Why I say that? Just look at those iOS 13 threads regarding mails app. Remember, people pay a hefty premium to get access to iOS and App Store ecosystem. When software crumble, reputation crumble as well. Samsung at least have expensive options to choose from, alongside cheaper models. Apple don’t. Everything with Apple writes “expensive” and “premium”. Even that $400 iPhone SE 2 is still more expensive than that $300 A51 phone.

Reactions: arefbe and max2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2020
In general, I agree with you. Although I can argue against in on specific things, but overall, I do see better attention to software from Apple vs other phone companies. But it is not unexpected. Apple had experience in software. Let's compare that to Samsung, who had their experience in hardware. Prior to the explosion of smartphones and smart appliances, you don't need such advance software to make TVs/refrigerators. Thus, Apple has had more experience in software than most phone makers out there.

That’s a good point. I didn’t think about it in that way.

and it is sad that the Android ecosystem has been training the consumers to "accept" the lack of software and security updates.

Yes, that’s what bothers me the most.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2020
Nowadays android and iOS software situation is more like “pick your poison” scenario where you choose the one that is less intriguing and less painful to use. Why I say that? Just look at those iOS 13 threads regarding mails app. Remember, people pay a hefty premium to get access to iOS and App Store ecosystem. When software crumble, reputation crumble as well. Samsung at least have expensive options to choose from, alongside cheaper models. Apple don’t. Everything with Apple writes “expensive” and “premium”. Even that $400 iPhone SE 2 is still more expensive than that $300 A51 phone.

I’m not talking about iOS vs Android. Android is great and Google has done a great job with it. I’m talking about the phone brands. Most of them don’t optimize Android to their phones and don’t care about updating them. That’s why I made the exception of OnePlus and Pixel phones.

Reactions: ian87w

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I’m not talking about iOS vs Android. Android is great and Google has done a great job with it. I’m talking about the phone brands. Most of them don’t optimize Android to their phones and don’t care about updating them. That’s why I made the exception of OnePlus and Pixel phones.
Unfortunately, it's really difficult to have an open discussion about it from neutral perspective. The discussion will usually revolve into iOS vs Android. It as if people cannot appreciate both. I have been a primarily Android user, but I can appreciate iOS at the same time. But some people just can't, and that usually derails any open discussion about the OSes. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.