Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevvyc

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
PSA: If anybody is getting the new iPhone SE (2020) and trying to keep the old version of iTunes 12.6.5.3 on a Mac, you're going to be out of luck. When I connect the phone, there's a popup that says:

"The iPhone [____] cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 12.10.6 or later. Would you like to download the latest version of iTunes now?"

box.png

I know that Apple has issued updated iTunes access from time to time, but given that we can't even download apps for a couple months already I wouldn't hold my breath...

If anybody has a workaround, please share!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Newest iPhones have always required the latest version of iOS which have always required the latest version of iTunes which usually require the latest version of MacOS which usually requires a newer Mac.

This is what's called the Walled Prison

Bottom line: Buy a new iPhone and feel the pain

Reactions: Sirious

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I noticed that with the new SE, hold onto the old iTunes with Appstore for a couple of weeks and then updated to the latest iTunes version for syncing the SE, otherwise the iPhone keeps accumulating analytics data under Settings -> Privacy -> Analytics and there is no other way to clear it.
There was a news that Apple plans to release updated Music and Appstore apps on Windows similar to Mac, so will have to wait until then... maybe WWDC.
Also, it looks like Apple is making iPhone independent from Mac/PC, so you update apps only from iOS Appstore.
This maybe fine except that there needs to be a way to clear that analytics data or not accumulate it at all if you have turned off Share Analytics Data with Apple.

PSA: If anybody is getting the new iPhone SE (2020) and trying to keep the old version of iTunes 12.6.5.3 on a Mac, you're going to be out of luck. When I connect the phone, there's a popup that says:

"The iPhone [____] cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 12.10.6 or later. Would you like to download the latest version of iTunes now?"

View attachment 919188

I know that Apple has issued updated iTunes access from time to time, but given that we can't even download apps for a couple months already I wouldn't hold my breath...

If anybody has a workaround, please share!

kevvyc

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Newest iPhones have always required the latest version of iOS which have always required the latest version of iTunes which usually require the latest version of MacOS which usually requires a newer Mac.

Yes, on the requirement for the latest version of iOS, but not necessarily on iTunes. The iPhone 11s have worked with iTunes 12.6.5.3 after a special iTunesAccess package was released by Apple. This may again occur, but just wanted to point it out for anybody researching or contemplating the new iPhone SE that as of right now, iTunes with apps support will not work. This probably won't matter for 99% of the users here, but for that remaining group - this PSA was for you.

Reactions: na1577

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
What is special iTunesAccess package? Can you keep iTunes 12.6.5.3 and access iPhone 11?
Yes, on the requirement for the latest version of iOS, but not necessarily on iTunes. The iPhone 11s have worked with iTunes 12.6.5.3 after a special iTunesAccess package was released by Apple. This may again occur, but just wanted to point it out for anybody researching or contemplating the new iPhone SE that as of right now, iTunes with apps support will not work. This probably won't matter for 99% of the users here, but for that remaining group - this PSA was for you.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013

This is what's called the Walled Prison

Bottom line: Buy a new iPhone and feel the pain
Yet I can still use my 2012 MacBook with my xs Max on iOS 13.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.