Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I've been checking the notebookcheck site for various devices. iPhone 14 (non pros) have 0 pwm therefore are great for people with pwm sensitivity. All new MBPs have Mini-LED and high pwm and therefore can cause issues for many users.

Luckily the new MBA M2 with IPS has zero pwm therefore is a great buy for sensitive users.

How do you think Apple's strategy will change going forward since this is now such a widespread issue? Do you think it doesn't affect their strategy or do you think Apple and others are actively trying to find a solution?

Why IPS on the new MBA's and no IPS option for MBP's?

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
I've been checking the notebookcheck site for various devices. iPhone 14 (non pros) have 0 pwm therefore are great for people with pwm sensitivity. All new MBPs have Mini-LED and high pwm and therefore can cause issues for many users.

Luckily the new MBA M2 with IPS has zero pwm therefore is a great buy for sensitive users.

How do you think Apple's strategy will change going forward since this is now such a widespread issue? Do you think it doesn't affect their strategy or do you think Apple and others are actively trying to find a solution?

Why IPS on the new MBA's and no IPS option for MBP's?

Can confirm iPhone 14 regular is NOT great for people with PWM sensitivity.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022

Widespread? By what measure?

Unless people are returning iPhones and Macs in huge numbers and Apple knows the reasons for the returns (PWM sensitivity), why would they do anything? I've never returned anything to Apple before, do you need to give a reason for a return? Would they make a note if you offered one?

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Can confirm iPhone 14 regular is NOT great for people with PWM sensitivity.
How so? iPhone 14 regulars have 0 pwm which means it's good for sensitive users.

The iPhone 14 pro models on the other hand are not supposed to be good for sensitive users since they have pwm in ranges that affect sensitive users.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Widespread? By what measure?

Unless people are returning iPhones and Macs in huge numbers and Apple knows the reasons for the returns...
Apple definitely knows the reasons and so do all other manufacturers.

False correlation. Just because people don't return something doesn't mean it doesn't exist on a large scale.

There are countless forums and websites dedicated to the research and reporting of pwm reaching millions of users monthly.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
How so? iPhone 14 regulars have 0 pwm which means it's good for sensitive users.

The iPhone 14 pro models on the other hand are not supposed to be good for sensitive users since they have pwm in ranges that affect sensitive users.

I have a 14 and it definitely gives me PWM headaches.

• Sad
Reactions: kitKAC

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
False correlation. Just because people don't return something doesn't mean it doesn't exist on a large scale.

Those people are doing themselves a disservice because you get a company to change something by hitting their bottom line.

There are countless forums and websites dedicated to the research and reporting of pwm reaching millions of users monthly.

Then you should email Tim Cook directly with links to those, ask him if he's aware that this is a problem for the company's customers, and see what he says.

Reactions: compwiz1202

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Those people are doing themselves a disservice because you get a company to change something by hitting their bottom line.

Then you should email Tim Cook directly with links to those, ask him if he's aware that this is a problem for the company's customers, and see what he says.
He's aware. The guy lives on Twitter on the low down and he's a MAANG CEO. It would be ignorant to think Timmy doesn't know about pwm.

Last edited by a moderator:

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

No PWM sensitivity here, but... iPhone 14 has OLED display, which (I thought) meant it uses PWM for brightness. Correct?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
That's how I understand it. Any devices that do not use pwm seem to be IPS. e.g. iPhone XR, iPhone 11, and M2 MBA. OLED and Mini-LED seem to be murder for people sensitive to digital flicker. These manufacturers obviously know the problem exists but they prefer to prioritize better colors and faster scrolling. I have no problem with that but they need to develop a mechanism specifically for eliminating flicker on mobile devices. Simply ramping up the freq to give the illusion there is no flicker is not a solution.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Apple definitely knows the reasons and so do all other manufacturers.

Unfortunately, even if it is millions of people who are effected by this, I don’t think any manufacturer considered this as it’s a drop in the bucket.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Unfortunately, even if it is millions of people who are effected by this, I don’t think any manufacturer considered this as it’s a drop in the bucket.
I agree but I do think mobile will eventually turn around. If it was only a drop in the bucket, display manufacturers like ViewSonic wouldn't be producing "flicker-free", "anti-flicker", "pwm-free" monitors. There's an obvious market base. And it will only get bigger not smaller as more users realize it's their displays that are causing them physiological issues they didn't have before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.