Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ben1969

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
My apologies if this is elsewhere, but my brother wants me to help him unlock/jailbreak his ATV2.

It has the latest software update, he says, but my limited understanding is that all ATV2 are lockable/jailbreakable because all models of the ATV2 have firmware that can be hacked.

Is this true? Any useful links would be graciously appreciated.

Thanks!

HenryLong

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Germany

ben1969

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
So, I just need to downgrade?

Thanks for the link. I think I get it.

What I need to do first, though, is downgrade from 6.2 to 5.3, which I gather can be done using any ATV2, but is more problematic using an ATV3.

ben1969

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
nope. cant be used across multiple devices.

Sorry, but I don't understand. My brother has an ATV2 and only wants to jailbreak that device and will be using only it (as far as I know). He is running 6.2 software, but it is definitely an ATV2 model.

So, will he be able to downgrade and get jailbreaking to work?

HenryLong

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Germany
Sorry, but I don't understand. My brother has an ATV2 and only wants to jailbreak that device and will be using only it (as far as I know). He is running 6.2 software, but it is definitely an ATV2 model.

So, will he be able to downgrade and get jailbreaking to work?

Just download seasonPass and start. It will automatically install the 5.3 firmware prior to the jailbreak process.

If you're not familiar with the use of seasonPass I highly recommend to watch the video tutorial before starting to jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.