Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RomanEmpire

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2018
Vienna
Hi,

since iOS 11.4 AppleTV shows up in the Home app. I was just wondering what I can do with it within the app?

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Not much without Homekit! Tap and hold on the ATV icon in the My Home screen. Tap "Details" button and it shows information but all you can change is the location/room.
The ATV can be used to control Homekit devices so I guess more can be done via the Home app if these are available.
BTW - support for Homekit (and home automation is general) seems to be woeful in Australia. Belkin has pulled Wemo products from the market despite releasing the Wemo Bridge in the USA.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Haven't tested it, because I completely forgot, but you can control your Apple TV with Siri now.

For example: "Hey Siri, pause the living room Apple TV" or "Hey Siri, fast forward 2 minutes on the bedroom Apple TV"

Dunners

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2014
It's nice that when I tap the ATV button in the Home app it's start to play music on my ATV but I can't see a way to control what playlist or station it auto-plays... Currently it seems to access my library rather than Apple Music.

If anyone has a solution I'd love to know!

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
It's nice that when I tap the ATV button in the Home app it's start to play music on my ATV but I can't see a way to control what playlist or station it auto-plays... Currently it seems to access my library rather than Apple Music.

If anyone has a solution I'd love to know!

Siri?
"Hey Siri, play Dua Lipa on the living room Apple TV"?
Still at work, so can't test it, but should work, no?

Dunners

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2014
That should do the trick but Siri doesn't seem to like my girlfriends voice... We have an iPad mounted on a wall which she uses to access the Home app.

Was also hoping to setup an automated scene so music starts playing when I return home in the evening but you can't select the ATV as an accessory when creating a Scene in the Home app...

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Tested it, and it works like a charm.
"Hey Siri, play U2 on the Apple TV in the living room",
"Hey Siri, pause the Apple TV in the living room",
"Hey Siri, fast forward 2 minutes on the Apple TV in the living room"
"Hey Siri, rewind 30 seconds on the Apple TV in the bedroom"

Apple TV and HomePod aren't HomeKit devices, I'm really hoping iOS 12 is going to change that... Like you said: "Hey Siri, good night" to turn off the lights & tv or stop playing music, ..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.