Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JuniperJesus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
I have an AppleTV 4th Generation which I have connected to a JBL 3.1 soundbar. The soundbar is connected to the television via the HDMI 1 port with an HDMI ARC cable. The television doesn’t technically say the port is HDMI ARC but the soundbar specifically designates ita first HDMI port as ARC.

The television is and LG from 2012 and only has two HDMI ports. Before I bought the soundbar, I had the AppleTV connected to my television via the HDMI port and it played video and sound perfectly. The AppleTV would even “wake” up the television just by pressing the menu button.

Now that the AppleTV is connected to the soundbar, I’m having difficulty “waking” up the television or getting a signal to the television. I have to try several times pressing the menu button (sometimes as much as twenty times) before the signal from the AppleTV goes through the soundbar and to the television. I know it works because when the soundbar is successful connecting with the television, it works the way it’s supposed to. It’s that initial period when the television and AppleTV have been off and I want to wake them both up through the soundbar.

I’ve been on the phone with JBL and they insist the settings on my AppleTV are the problem. Are there any settings I can try on the AppeTV before I give up and send this soundbar back? Thanks.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
my setup is ATV <HDMI> TV <HDMI ARC> Sony HT Receiver. When I wake everything up, I press (and Hold) the ATV TV button for about 5 seconds and everything comes on. If I press and release, sometimes everything comes on, sometimes not.

ARC is audio return Channel. If the TV is set to output Digital audio, it will go out this port, regardless of where the signal comes in.

So, why not Try ATV <HDMI> TV HDMI 2, then TV HDMI 1 <HDMI ARC> JBL HDMI 1

If the TV woke when ATV was awake, then you already have HDMI-CEC enabled on ATV and TV.

HDMI-CEC requires the JBL to leave a port awake, listening for a signal. So, when the JBL sleeps, all power is disabled except for the CEC listening port(s). My Sony HT Receiver listens for CEC signals on all ports, but the Soundbar might not listen for CEC signals on port 2?

JuniperJesus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
My television does not have any outputs. Inputs only.

Hypothetically, the Apple TV attached to the soundbar should send the video signal to the television through the HDMI port but keep the audio dispersed through the soundbar. There’s no need for an audio return channel because the television doesn’t need sound; the soundbar is the audio.

My television does not have a designated HDMI ARC port. If I attached the Apple TV to HDMI 1 and the soundbar to the HDMI 2 port, my television would only show the video but not send the audio to the soundbar because it’s an input only.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
My television does not have a designated HDMI ARC port. If I attached the Apple TV to HDMI 1 and the soundbar to the HDMI 2 port, my television would only show the video but not send the audio to the soundbar because it’s an input only.
But, if the TV does have ARC, it is likely on port 1, ARC is an output by definition. My recollection is TVs adopted ARC without labeling it such in early days.

Again, my suggestion is ATV <> HDMI 2, the HDMI 1 <> JBL. It may be worth a shot.

JuniperJesus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
But, if the TV does have ARC, it is likely on port 1, ARC is an output by definition. My recollection is TVs adopted ARC without labeling it such in early days.

Again, my suggestion is ATV <> HDMI 2, the HDMI 1 <> JBL. It may be worth a shot.

So I tried this configuration and I run into separate problems:

1] When I choose HDMI 1 on my television, I don’t get a picture or sound.

2] When I choose HDMI 2 on my television, I get a picture but no sound.

I switched the AppleTV connection to HDMI 1 port and soundbar to HDMI 2 port on the television and ended up with the same results.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
OK, so that suggests the TV does not support ARC.

From what you describe, there seems to be no combo that works, even with workarounds? Ie, the ATV <> JBL <> TV sends to video, and ATV <> TV <> JBL sends no audio.

Maybe time to upgrade the TV?

JuniperJesus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2013
OK, so that suggests the TV does not support ARC.

From what you describe, there seems to be no combo that works, even with workarounds? Ie, the ATV <> JBL <> TV sends to video, and ATV <> TV <> JBL sends no audio.

Maybe time to upgrade the TV?

The television does support ARC because it sometimes works. I want it to work immediately without me fiddling around with the menu and home buttons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.