Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
So the only way I watch DVDs on my LCD TV is by using a mac hooked up to it so that it's being upconverted. So here's my question.

If I rip my DVD's to h.264, put them in itunes, and sync them with Apple TV, will Apple TV show these upconverted to 720p on the TV? Or will it switch to 480p output to play it?

macd00d

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2006
So the only way I watch DVDs on my LCD TV is by using a mac hooked up to it so that it's being upconverted. So here's my question.

If I rip my DVD's to h.264, put them in itunes, and sync them with Apple TV, will Apple TV show these upconverted to 720p on the TV? Or will it switch to 480p output to play it?

It does not switch modes... stays at whatever setting you have configured. To this end, my DVD's ripped into iTunes and played on :apple:TV (1080i) actually look a bit better then when played through by Xbox 360 (480p).

slffl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
It does not switch modes... stays at whatever setting you have configured. To this end, my DVD's ripped into iTunes and played on :apple:TV (1080i) actually look a bit better then when played through by Xbox 360 (480p).

Good to hear. Thanks!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
According to macworld it can't play videos at 1080i, so I'm assuming there saying max output is 720p? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am not sure, but I know that the Apple TV and do something in 1080i, I am just not sure what it is :p

Stylez

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2007
So be clear when you post something because I don't actually see a clear answer to the poster's question. I think what he means is this: (and I for one like to know too):

you are all saying that apple tv is doing live upconversion to 720p from a lower than 720p source file, and this all on the fly as it streams wireless to your tv and you are watching it without hick-ups???

And this with the reported 1Mhz processor???

:rolleyes:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
you are all saying that apple tv is doing live upconversion to 720p from a lower than 720p source file, and this all on the fly as it streams wireless to your tv and you are watching it without hick-ups???

And this with the reported 1Mhz processor???

:rolleyes:
I've got my Apple TV video resolution set to 1080i. My TV confirms this.

Regardless of what I watch (so far, TV shows I've purchased from the iTS, which can be considered sources that are lower than 720p, right), the video that the Apple TV is outputting stays at 1080i. Is this what you mean?

And for what it's worth, we're watching an episode of Hero's that's streaming from my roommates iTunes while the Apple TV is syncing the entire library from my iTunes. All wirelessly, all without hiccups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.