Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgurfein

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2007
Arrived today, NYC, regular shipping

Took 15 mins to set up, 10 of which were spent moving a piece of furniture.

It is exactly as advertised. Only negative is what everybody already knows, which is that movies and TV Shows currently are standard definition and look about the same as they do on standard def. digital cable channels. That's fine for TV, but for movies I'm gonna stick with my Blu Ray player for now.

Interface is incredibly slick, music sounds better than streaming via airport express, photos ARE in HD. And the device itself is TINY and UNOBTRUSIVE. It's a definite spouse pleaser for those who have spouses irritated by the rat's nest of wires and devices that invade many homes.

Perhaps most impressively, streaming content from a computer on the network is highly efficient without any noticable buffering or stalling. It is quite surprising, actually. And my network is only 802.11g - not n.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I stand corrected. From the handbrake forums:

Cyander said:
x264 Main *or* Baseline work
Using 5.1 AAC, it plays, so even if it is pro logic, I can rip to 5.1 and it won't be broken.
I have tried up to about 1700Kbps, but I don't see why higher rates won't work
The Anamorphic setting is /ignored/ by Apple TV, unfortunately.

I also tried two of my 720p rips from a Blu-Ray disc on it.
5.5Mbps avg bitrate for the video stream - It worked out of the box

Chapter tracks work, even in a .mov file, making skipping around nice.

danr_97070

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2004
Earth
Picked mine up today at the Apple Store...

I was in an Apple Store today to pick up my Mac which was in for a power supply replacement...

So... since they had an AppleTV in stock, I bought one so I wouldn't have to wait for the FedEx dood. I was the first one to buy one from this store! Kewl...

Anyway, I couldn't resist taking a slightly longer lunch break to take it home and hook it up. Setup is brain-dead simple. It instantly (after entering the code into iTunes) allowed me to see content from my machine. Now, I just have to organize my videos and set synch options a bit better. I had it up and running in less than 15 minutes...

Most of the video looks pretty good. The stuff that I'd originally encoded for the iPod at 320x240 doesn't look great, but I didn't expect it to. The rest of the stuff encoded at 640x480 looks good.

Next on my list of things to do is to organize my videos into playlists to allow me to synch and find them more easily... then setup EyeTV to automatically export to iTunes so that stuff will synch with it too.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I will say this about the 15 minutes I had with mine before running off to work:

Monster House still looks great at 720p at 5Mbps... :)

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
300?

How does the audio on the trailer for 300 sound? Gosh darn... I loved that movie!!! :D

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
The 300 trailer is very clear and the audio superb. I'm running component video with the optical audio connection on a 50" Panasonic LCD television and I've been very happy with AppleTV so far.

Videos that I encoded with Handbrake look and sound excellent. If anything, I'm able to take all of my kid's DVDs that tend to get destroyed, encode them, put them away, and then select them at will from AppleTV's menu.

Syncing is rather slow on my G connection, but streaming really has worked well for me so far.

I'm already happy with it and I can only imagine it will get better as more features are added and 3rd party software is tailored for it. Then again, I was already quite comfortable with using iTunes as my media hub.

If anyone has any specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
is it easy to change the HD? I so could use one of these, but i'm boycotting cos of the price, and small hd. Or i'll be on the lookout in the Marketplace forum.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
Southern California received.

One thing that has caught my eye (and finger tips): it's f-in hot. I picked it up and it was extremely hot. I don't know what that means long term, but I figured I'd let you experts disect that piece of information. Of it could just be mine.

tveric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
x264

Will this thing play x264 files or not? I can't find a straight answer to that anywhere.

Thanks.

macd00d

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2006

One thing that has caught my eye (and finger tips): it's f-in hot. I picked it up and it was extremely hot. I don't know what that means long term, but I figured I'd let you experts disect that piece of information. Of it could just be mine.

mine is hot as the sun as well.

Modano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
New Orleans
is it easy to change the HD? I so could use one of these, but i'm boycotting cos of the price, and small hd. Or i'll be on the lookout in the Marketplace forum.
You know, this is the first thing I thought I'd do too but the streaming is so seamless that I can't tell if something is on the HD or not. It really, truly doesn't seem to matter. YMMV, of course, but this was the #1 concern of mine and now, having used it, I can honestly say that the HD size is not the limitation it appears to be. I haven't messed around with movies/TV shows yet but for music it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Mine got pretty hot when syncing for the first time too but my sense is that the wireless card and the HD are frying while copying 30 gigs of info but after the 1st sync will remain at a reasonable temp. We'll have to see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.