Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snowatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Denmark
Movies that once had beautiful landscape-oriented poster art in the library are having their artwork replaced with portrait-style.

The weird thing is, that when viewing the movies from a family member phone, all the cover art looks right. This is most annoying when so much money is spend on digital movie purchases, and a Support case with Apple is now running towards 3 months, with them not even acknowledging that there is an issue.

My daughters phone on the left, is showing my purchased movies, using family sharing. My phone on the right, is looking directly at my purchased movies. Take all Back to the Future movies, or Baby Driver as an example. But this also happens to newly bought movies (the newest Spiderman or Ghostbusters). And it's an issue on iPhone, iPad and AppleTV. But weirdly enough all covers looks fine on my Macbook, even when logged in with my Apple ID.

IMG_0075.jpeg

And I have tried everything, from just logging out of iCloud and back in again. To resetting my iPhone completely. I have even tried my Apple ID on a totally new phone, but issue is still the same. But when logging on that same test phone with my daughter account, looking at my movies through family sharing, it all looks fine. Which means, that the issue is not device oriented.

Please, if any one are having the same issue, then comment, so we can get this tiresome issue fixed.

[UPDATE]

This seems to be an issue for contries that aren't USA. I'm from Denmark, having this issue, and a friend from Italy has the same issue, but a friend from USA, does not have this issue.

Last edited:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Now that I look, yes some films and tv shows are showing this in the UK.
I am sure previously they where not.

edit: This was iPhone/iPad.
I will check on my Mac in the morning to see what they look like....;)

Last edited:
Reactions: snowatom

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
An AppleTV generation or two (three?) ago, all movies were displayed with wall poster (portrait) format (taller than wide). That was great because if you were making your own from DVD/Blu Ray/etc, there are plenty of movie posters online in that format.

apple_tv_2015_review_56_thumb.jpg

Then, Apple shifted to wider than tall (landscape). Some movies will offer a nice design in this format (poster) too but many seem to still focus on the classic poster.

Now they may be "innovating" taller than wide (again).

Part of the Apple experience is that they are sometimes putting time & energy into minor-to-modest visual changes that seemingly only Apple wants. They once opened a WWDC where they spent about 15-20 minutes previewing a new version of OS X (at the time) emphasizing a slight level of translucency adoption: "beautiful translucency", "modern translucency", etc. on and on. Here's a bit of that...

After months of hype for WWDC, I couldn't believe how much time & attention they gave an enhancement that was barely noticeable in practical use. That's not a put down at all... just basically support for the overall concept that Apple seems to have multiple thrusts of change for change sake.

I don't recall ever seeing ONE person wish for wider-than-tall movie posters when Apple's norm was taller than wide. If this is an actual change that becomes THE way, just stand by. In about 4 or so years, they'll go triangular or circular posters... then 'innovate' wider-than-tall posters again... or maybe revive portrait first and then landscape again.

By the way, they'll probably make minor redesigns of some emoji and core icons again... and again... and again too. Minor-to-modest visual changes just seems to be part of their bargain... even for things that seem like they don't need it at all.

Last edited:

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Checked on my Mac.
I am still using iTunes rather than the TV app, and ALL content shows correctly.
Films are tall (but look correct in iTunes), TV shows are square.

snowatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Denmark
I find it weird that this isn't bothering more people. I mean, I would have imagined tons of angry posts around the internet.

Maybe people aren't purchasing that many movies on iTunes anymore?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Adding to this:

Looking through my Library, wrongly displayed artwork
iPad - 6 films, 5 tv series
iPhone - 5 films, 6 tv series

Also 4 films have different artwork on iPhone to iPad.
Both are on the latest version of iOS/iPadOS 15.

snowatom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
Denmark
Adding to this:

Looking through my Library, wrongly displayed artwork
iPad - 6 films, 5 tv series
iPhone - 5 films, 6 tv series

Also 4 films have different artwork on iPhone to iPad.
Both are on the latest version of iOS/iPadOS 15.
Well. It might be even worse if you log out and back in again. It has to rebuild thumbnails, and then you might have even more vertical covers.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I might leave that for now then.....?

The problem is definitely the TV App......what did you do Apple...:mad:
Just checked on my iPad 2 (iOS 9), and in the Video App every film and tv show is perfect, just like in iTunes.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.