Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Does the :apple: TV work with standard def TVs? Does anyone have an :apple: TV and a SD TV that could try this out? Thanks.

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2007
Does the :apple: TV work with standard def TVs? Does anyone have an :apple: TV and a SD TV that could try this out? Thanks.

If your tv has component input (separate red, blue, and green plugs for video), then you can use the Apple TV - can't say I'd recommend it though as you'd probably have to letterbox everything. That is why they "require" widescreen...

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
If your tv has component input (separate red, blue, and green plugs for video), then you can use the Apple TV - can't say I'd recommend it though as you'd probably have to letterbox everything. That is why they "require" widescreen...

Oh crap! My DVD player has component out. Is there some sort of converter I could get?

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
There are convertors but from what I have seen they are expensive. (Over $170)

component out on the DVD player won't help, the TV needs to accept component in.

As far as it working on SD with component, I will find out tonight. I won't get access to my HD TV for a few more weeks (moving) so until then I need to use the TV at the corp apartment. In about another 2 hours I will be trying it. I will post an update regardless.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
There are convertors but from what I have seen they are expensive. (Over $170)

component out on the DVD player won't help, the TV needs to accept component in.

As far as it working on SD with component, I will find out tonight. I won't get access to my HD TV for a few more weeks (moving) so until then I need to use the TV at the corp apartment. In about another 2 hours I will be trying it. I will post an update regardless.

Sweet, thanks let me know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.