Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
It has happened a few times already that my Apple TV remote gets "stuck" sending the same input over and over again. It usually happens with the volume up button, which makes it all the more annoying cause the volume will almost instantly jump to 100. I knew the problem was with the remote as if I block the IR window at the front of the remote, the indicator on my TV stops flashing (usually it light up once when I click on volume +/- or mute, since I control the volume with that remote)

"Restarting" the remote fixes the issue, but is has happened more than once, and fairly close together. As you can imagine, having the volume jump all the way up at night in an apartment building isn’t great.

Is this a known issue? A defect?

Reactions: johntherazz

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
Is it possible you exposed it to water or something like that? I had a similar problem with mine after dropping it into a foot spa. I want to say that restarting it would get it to work right for a very short period, but it would act up again. I wound up replacing it.

Martinpa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2014
Which exact remote do you have? Any chance under warranty still?
I have the latest one (metal with black circular trackpad) got it for my 1st gen (I think) AppleTV4k that came with the black remote. Bought the new remote as soon as it became available…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.