Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
Hi. I am debating whether I should buy Appleworks. I'll mostly be using it to write reports and labs, etc... just school stuff. The thing is, I'll be exchanging documents between my computer and the school's computer, which uses microsoft Office. Does appleworks have a powerpoint type feature? Any reason why I shouldn't get Appleworks rather than Office?

thanks.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I don't know...

I'm not sure if they are cross compatible or not...u may be able to find out with a posting on Apple's Support pages or even on http://www.macfixit.com...

if u know u can use the Office products at school, why not just get Microsoft Office instead?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
go for it

The newest verion of AppleWorks alows you to save your files in Office format. Even MS Works files! It will be a little more work to convert them and stuff... but it will save you a lot of money. AppleWorks 6 is kind of old now... I would guess that version 7 may come out soon. Also... if your looking for a cheeper solution. I would look into StarOffice from Sun. I beleave you can do all the same file conversions with MS stuff as you can in AppleWorks. There is a beta version of it out for OS X now. It has been arround for a long time for Linux and UNIX. Now its comming to The BSD baised OS X.

I personaly use Office and Appleworks. I use Office most of the times and AppleWorks for when I just cant get it to look right in Office.

cplmd

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2001
Louisiana
Depends...

If what you produce has to work in a Windows/Office world then your life will be easier with Office. The X version is very easy to use and all the output gets opened by the Windows Office without a hitch.

The only reason to go with AppleWorks is cost, it is much cheaper. There are ways of useing the documents in Windows Office but it is not nontrivial.

So, if it's cost - AppleWorks it does everything - even presentations.

Compatibility in the windows world - then go with Office v.X

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.