Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liliumfl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
hi guys, ive got this question and been looking for it on the internet and found nothing, so i decided to ask here
so, all i know is that apple will stop giving an update to an apple device once it become 5 years of an age from the release date.
But, will any other application like instagram, procreate, or adobe are also stopping their application update once the device is 5 years old. Or, will they still giving an update to their application no matter what, even if the device update is been stopped by apple????

*sorry for my bad language, just trying to find an answer, ty very much

Reactions: max2

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
There isn't any hard rule on 5 years as my 2012 Mac mini was just updated to Catalina... but generally once your device has reached the point that it can no longer receive OS updates, your software will continue to work as-is, and you will probably still get most app updates beyond that for awhile.

Eventually once those app developers choose to rely on underlying technology found only in the newer OS your device does not support, you will no longer receive those app updates either.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
hi guys, ive got this question and been looking for it on the internet and found nothing, so i decided to ask here
so, all i know is that apple will stop giving an update to an apple device once it become 5 years of an age from the release date.
But, will any other application like instagram, procreate, or adobe are also stopping their application update once the device is 5 years old. Or, will they still giving an update to their application no matter what, even if the device update is been stopped by apple????

*sorry for my bad language, just trying to find an answer, ty very much
There's really no 5 year rule on Apple's or anyone else's side of things. Each company/developer decides when they drop support for older hardware and/or software versions based on their own particular decisions, which can change or be different each time or sometimes.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Application support can go earlier or later. It often goes longer, but it has dropped off earlier as well. The 5 year rule is just an observation that software support often wanes when machines are relegated to vintage status. They do this in waves, roughly 5 years after a model is discontinued or no longer the latest. At 7 years post discontinuation, they are moved to the obsolete designation. I would not expect updates on these.

Adobe and others differ. The last real point of contention was AVX status. AVX2 is needed if you want to make explicit use of FMA3. If you're building for the older models, you need to have separate builds or omit certain optimizations and build flags which enable such extensions. I mention this because some software packages do make the original AVX extensions a hard requirement, which means requiring at least Sandy Bridge. If they required AVX2, it would be Haswell.

This is probably more than you need to know, but there's never a guarantee that developers won't impose some cutoff, regardless of what operating system you're running.

Liliumfl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
ty very much guys for all of your answer, gave me usefull information, ty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.