Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Hey! I just discovered you can drag and drop applications to the Finder toolbar!

You all probably new that so was wondering, from your experience, what apps you find most useful to have in there?

thanks

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
I have only Safari and Mail there. All the other Apps (with aliases) I organized in Folders on the right side of the dock to have easy access to them and organized by the different kindsof aaplications. I just have to keep the mouse buttun down and then I have a menu from which I can choose the wanted app.

Placing apps directly in the dock is a nice feature, but considering how many diffferent apps I am using (and not all of them at the same time anyway), I have a totally crowded dock with 20 program icons, not to forget the mess with all the active and inactive apps plus the winodws parked in the dock... I like it clean.

groovebuster

radhak

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
Originally posted by groovebuster
... All the other Apps (with aliases) I organized in Folders on the right side of the dock to have easy access to them and organized by the different kindsof aaplications. I just have to keep the mouse buttun down and then I have a menu from which I can choose the wanted app.

how did you do this? do these folders sit on the dock, or on the desktop? (maybe a screenshot would be great).

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Radhak

I think I've already done what Groovebuster suggested. Here's a screen shot.

It'
s just a folder (which I created in my Apss folder) which then has sub-folders for each category. I then drag and drop application aliases to the respective folders.

Then I dropped the main folder onto the Dock (right side of the divider for folders)

I know it's Windowsish but I am a switcher... Also it does have to be manually maintained.

Attachments

• shortcuts menu only.jpg
    shortcuts menu only.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 124

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
A screenshot to show what I mean about putting apps on the Finder toolbar (I've circled the 3 I put there)

Attachments

• finder with extra apps 2.jpg
    finder with extra apps 2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 118

radhak

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
Originally posted by ChrisH3677
Radhak

Then I dropped the main folder onto the Dock (right side of the divider for folders)

I know it's Windowsish but I am a switcher... Also it does have to be manually maintained.

maybe window-ish, but works for me. thanks, i shall be replicating this myself.

by manually maintained, i suppose you mean it is only an alias, and changes to the application/ folder does not reflect automatically? i guess one can keep track of that.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Dockdockdock

Radhack and Groovebuster

Check out Dockdockdock. It acts as both a dock switcher and a simple apps launcher (especially if you use "dummy" docks).

edit oops - wrong attachment! doh!

Attachments

• dockdockdock.jpg
    dockdockdock.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 90

ddbean

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2003
Thousand Oaks, CA
or...

for OS 10.3
I just drag and drop my HD Icon on the dock right next to the trash icon and then I can navigate my whole computer from a list structure and it's auto-updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.