Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tezcat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Title is only part of the problem, but it's difficult to sum up in a title. This is a 2015 MacBook Pro running Yosemite.

Here's how it goes when I turn the computer on: I log in. Spotify, Text Edit, and Safari open automatically, even though I don't have them set to. Text Edit and Spotify automatically close soon thereafter where Safari keeps opening and closing (no windows, only the icon). No dropdown menus appear. The only application I can open is the Brother printing control center app. When I open it, some dropdown menus show up but only the Brother menus and the main Apple menu. From this menu, I can check the about this Mac page or shut the computer down/restart it/put it to sleep. Whenever I right click or control click the screen goes black. I have tried relaunching Finder and resetting the PRAM, neither of which seemed to help in the slightest.

Additional info: My storage is pretty full, but I am unable to remove any files whatsoever because I cannot search, use the Go menu, or open any applications from which I can delete or transfer files. Also, I have had these issues in less extreme forms before, where Safari would open and close and certain applications would not open. Most of the time, restarting it would fix it, but not this time.

Best I can figure, it seems like a virus, but I wanted to get some opinions before I spend money and take it to the shop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.