Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
inspired by the discussion of macbook and macbook pro temperatures being crazy because of the thermal grease, i decided to do the same thing to my ibook g4.

the processer, "some other block also being cooled", and ati graphics card were stuck to a heatsink by 3 thermal putty. i took them off, and applied artic cremeque on it. there is a small gap between the heatsink and heaters, so i applied extra paste to connect the two. i reassembled the computer back.

here are the results:

power adaptor set to fastest

One safari window open. no other tabs.

graphics processer 57
cpu 50.7
battery 37 C
memory 52 C

warcraft III the frozen throne

74.8 graphics card
65 C cpu
37 battery
57.5 memory

is my ibook cooling better or worse? i forgot to check the temperatures before the change.

should i revert back to the thermal pads? the temperatures seem kinda hot, i think i made it worse.

stefan15

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2005
Canada
What do you mean by "extra paste" that's never good. It has to be very small. After removing the pads, did you totally clean both surfaces with 99% isopropyl and a completely lint-free cloth? Small particles can wreak havock on temperatures. That said, if properly applied, there is literally NO WAY a thermal pad will be more efficient than Ceramique.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
i'm already quite experienced at opening up laptops.

i did use alchohol based nail polish remover, and lint free cloth.

i'm just wondering if the temperatures are worse than unmodded.

one thing i noticed: the bottom of the laptop is slightly cooler. i can type on my lap, even bare without any problems now. is that bad news or good news?

and, previously a pc enthusiast and modder this is nothing new to me, i'm one of those people who care about tweaking computers to make them even a tad better

storage

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
steelfist said:
i'm already quite experienced at opening up laptops.

i did use alchohol based nail polish remover, and lint free cloth.

i'm just wondering if the temperatures are worse than unmodded.

one thing i noticed: the bottom of the laptop is slightly cooler. i can type on my lap, even bare without any problems now. is that bad news or good news?

and, previously a pc enthusiast and modder this is nothing new to me, i'm one of those people who care about tweaking computers to make them even a tad better
You shouldn't use nail polish remover (unless it's oilfree).

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
Those temps seam hotter especially the GPU. Im thinking that there might be a gap between the heatsink and the CPU now that you removed the thick thermal pad. Apple probably designed the heatsink to have a small gap between the CPU and the heatsink to accommodate the thermal pad, but now that you removed it there is a gap. You could re apply the pad, but a herd somewhere that when you remove it after its been used you cant replace it.
Also you shouldn't use nail polish remover since it has other stuff in it besides alcohol (oils, perfumes, etc) I would at least reapply the AC and clean it with alcohol.

It would also be cool if you could take some pics, so we can see how it looks for interest sake.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Benjamindaines said:
Im not even going to comment on how stupid this was... Don't mess around with things like this unless you need to.
Sorry steelfist, but ditto.

A) there was no reason to change the paste to begin with

B) ESPECIALLY if there were pads. The thing was designed for pads, not paste!!!

C) Nail polish remover? Im surprised your iBook turned on.

D) Never, ever use thermal paste to fill gaps. Thermal paste is a terrible conductor of heat, but its better than air, so yeah. Filling the gap w/ thermal paste was a very, very (I could go on) bad idea. If there is a gap, something is wrong. See 'B'

I would advise you to go back to the original configuration ASAP, and clean off all that paste w/ isopropyl and a lint-free cloth.

I in no way intend to flame, but seriously dude, for the love of all things good: DO NOT MESS WITH YOUR PERFECTLY FINE iBOOK.

Legacy

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2005
London
Kingsly said:
Sorry steelfist, but ditto.

A) there was no reason to change the paste to begin with

Unless he has his iBook to spare

Kingsly said:
B) ESPECIALLY if there were pads. The thing was designed for pads, not paste!!!

It doesnt strictly make a diffference as long as the compound is applied properly?

Kingsly said:
C) Nail polish remover? Im surprised your iBook turned on.

Thats abit OTT, I used Nail polish remover on my Athlon XP 2400+, now overclocked at 2700 with no heat issues (under 45 degrees playing games with a silent cooler). You just need to make sure it doesnt have additives in it. Otherwise it is acetone as far as I know

Kingsly said:
D) Never, ever use thermal paste to fill gaps. Thermal paste is a terrible conductor of heat, but its better than air, so yeah. Filling the gap w/ thermal paste was a very, very (I could go on) bad idea. If there is a gap, something is wrong. See 'B'

Agreed

Kingsly said:
I would advise you to go back to the original configuration ASAP, and clean off all that paste w/ isopropyl and a lint-free cloth.

I in no way intend to flame, but seriously dude, for the love of all things good: DO NOT MESS WITH YOUR PERFECTLY FINE iBOOK.

Yeah, I guess...Apple have had enough chances (revisions) with the model to get it right by now..although the same cannot be said unforunately for the MacBook range...:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.