Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knirirr

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
Oxford
I use the Our Groceries app on my watch, and with WatchOS 9 the workflow was this:

1. Click the side button and select the app from the dock.
2. Choose the shop I'm currently in from the shopping lists I've configured.
3. Mark off each item as I buy it.
4. Click the crown to return to a watch face when finished.

Now with WatchOS 10:

1. Click the crown and select the app from the list.
2. Choose the shop I'm currently in from the shopping lists I've configured.
3. Mark an item off the list.
4. If there are still items to buy, return to step 1.
5. Finish shopping.

The latter behaviour is a bit of a nuisance. Is there any way to keep the Our Groceries app open whilst I'm using it?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Not an answer to your question but you are aware that Reminders handles grocery lists? You setup a separate reminder for each store. Add items to the reminder and they are automatically categorized (Bakery, Deli, Frozen Foods, etc.). You can check off items and they are removed from the list. You can also show completed items from previous shopping trips to add things back to a list.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
in the new timeline, Is there time between 3&4 or is it instant.
I'm thinking you're leaving out...
3.5 go back to shopping and let watch return to face.

settings, general, return to clock

either in watch app on phone, or in settings app on watch.

knirirr

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
Oxford
settings, general, return to clock

either in watch app on phone, or in settings app on watch.

That was set to two minutes - I'm sure that it takes me less than two minutes to walk from one shelf to another most of the time.
In any case, thanks for the tip. I have set it for 1 hour to see if that helps.

knirirr

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
Oxford
I tried this solution during my last shopping trip and it was successful in keeping the app in question open.
But, I occasionally find something such as weather open instead of the watch face - I guess that I've opened it accidentally and it has stayed open due to the settings change.
So, the immediate problem is solved, thought the (for me, anyway) the user experience is diminshed compared with WatchOS 9.

NightfallOrchid

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2019
I tried this solution during my last shopping trip and it was successful in keeping the app in question open.
But, I occasionally find something such as weather open instead of the watch face - I guess that I've opened it accidentally and it has stayed open due to the settings change.
So, the immediate problem is solved, thought the (for me, anyway) the user experience is diminshed compared with WatchOS 9.
You can also set ‘Return to Clock’ individually for every app, e.g. set your grocery list to 1 hour and leave everything else at 2 minutes or ‘Always’

knirirr

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2016
Oxford
The watch has now reverted to its former behaviour of closing the app during the few seconds where I move between products on the supermarket shelves, despite having "return to clock" set appropriately as discussed above.
Presumably that's just the way it has to be on WatchOS 10, then.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
The watch has now reverted to its former behaviour of closing the app during the few seconds where I move between products on the supermarket shelves, despite having "return to clock" set appropriately as discussed above.
Presumably that's just the way it has to be on WatchOS 10, then.
That sounds like a bug then. The time should be determined by that setting

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.