Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sybbie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
so i like to turn off my phone every night before i go to sleep and turn it back on the next morning. but apps in the multitasking tray that are not killed prior to shutting down of my iphone 5s (on ios 7.0.2) will all show up in the tray once i power on the phone!! how do i make the phone have a clean start besides manually killing all the apps? Because if the apps restart by themselves then probably some other stuff are not closed as well and the whole point i restart my iphone is for it to have a fresh start every morning

any help would be much appreciated!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
so i like to turn off my phone every night before i go to sleep and turn it back on the next morning. but apps in the multitasking tray that are not killed prior to shutting down of my iphone 5s (on ios 7.0.2) will all show up in the tray once i power on the phone!! how do i make the phone have a clean start besides manually killing all the apps? Because if the apps restart by themselves then probably some other stuff are not closed as well and the whole point i restart my iphone is for it to have a fresh start every morning

Those apps are not running in the background, it's merely a list of recently opened apps. To "force quit" them, you must manually end them by swiping up on the app card. Restarting your phone does not clear these items from the list, much the same way as restarting doesn't delete your call log or safari history.

Last edited:

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada

They'll always show in the tray even if they're not actually running. It's more of a "recent apps" list than "active apps" list.

Edit: Damn, Tyler23 beat me to it haha. You win this round...

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Th multitasking tray as you call it isn't a list of all running apps. It's just a list of recently run apps.

Some of them may still be open but if you've just rebooted then they are all closed.

Just so you know. You don't need to reboot each day or close apps. The iphone does an AMAZING job of managing memory and just works. It's why I'm an apple convert. Everything generally just works.

What running? Who cares.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Why? Why does it matter how many applications have been opened?

It's not an 'actively running' list. It's a 'what order your applications have been used in' list.

cause you don't know what is running and what isn't running after a while after a reboot, and if you are going to be the one that says who cares what is running and what isn't running "IOS will take care of it" that is BS because things do tend to slow down if you have 50 apps running in the background

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
cause you don't know what is running and what isn't running after a while after a reboot, and if you are going to be the one that says who cares what is running and what isn't running "IOS will take care of it" that is BS because things do tend to slow down if you have 50 apps running in the background
Even if you remove applications from the multitasking manager, they still run in the background. It is not useful at all.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012

Nope. Things don't slow down. That's the beauty of iOS.

Your thinking in PC terms. Where you can run more and more until the memory runs out and then it starts paging things to disk. This is where things slow down.

With iOS, when it runs low on memory for the active app it hibernates and terminates the older running apps.

Stop closing apps and see if you notice the difference.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Nope. Things don't slow down. That's the beauty of iOS.

Your thinking in PC terms. Where you can run more and more until the memory runs out and then it starts paging things to disk. This is where things slow down.

With iOS, when it runs low on memory for the active app it hibernates and terminates the older running apps.

Stop closing apps and see if you notice the difference.

Nope I guarantee you are wrong!

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Even if you remove applications from the multitasking manager, they still run in the background. It is not useful at all.

Certain apps like Phone, messages, E-mail, Clock and Calendar run ALL the time. The only reason they show up in the task switcher is so you can switch to them. Even if you "close" them they will re-launch themselves as the phone cannot function with these apps not running.

Everything else actually does close.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Can you post screen shots of this? How do you know they are still running?

Being an iOS developer, (also any user ever who desires to jailbreak) you can see this quite easily as processes will often run after they are removed from the multi-tasking menu.

It hardly affects battery life, though, if that's what you're worried about.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

- iOS cannot possibly have 50 apps open at the same time. With just plants vs zombies running I have 13MB free RAM available on my iPhone 5.

- The task switcher "closing" feature is mostly to force close any app that is misbehaving/frozen or to clear the history of "recent apps" that are listed there.

It was never intended for a user to close all those cards out for maintenance purposes.

Dannylad73

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Why? Why does it matter how many applications have been opened?

It's not an 'actively running' list. It's a 'what order your applications have been used in' list.

Think you'll find that these apps your on about well l haven't used them in days but hammered other apps more so but they ain't there the next morning, it's the same five apps running the next after swiping them upwards the night before? Any ideas on that one

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Think you'll find that these apps your on about well l haven't used them in days but hammered other apps more so but they ain't there the next morning, it's the same five apps running the next after swiping them upwards the night before? Any ideas on that one
I don't mean to be rude, but I honestly don't really understand what you're saying. Are you saying that the applications crop up in the app switcher without opening them?

Dannylad73

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
I don't mean to be rude,but I honestly don't really understand what you're saying. Are you saying that the applications crop up in the app switcher without opening them?
Thanks for replying back, I got the new iPhone 6s the other day, updated the new update all good, I've looked all over the forums and yours seemed the best way of finding out what is wrong with the phone, anyway close all applications off before l turn it off at night, turn it back on in the morning and apps are running resulting in battery drain, these apps that are running wasn't used the night before, so not sure why they are they once phone is turned on

Dannylad73

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Thanks for replying back, I got the new iPhone 6s the other day, updated the new update all good, I've looked all over the forums and yours seemed the best way of finding out what is wrong with the phone, anyway close all applications off before l turn it off at night, turn it back on in the morning and apps are running resulting in battery drain, these apps that are running wasn't used the night before, so not sure why they are they once phone is turned on
It's the same five apps running each morning, Instagram/safari/mail/IMDb and calendar which I don't use daily at all

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
It's the same five apps running each morning, Instagram/safari/mail/IMDb and calendar which I don't use daily at all
Some of those have permissions to run continuously which are irrevocable and are pretty much required to run the phone normally (Safari, Mail, Calendar) but Instagram and IMDb will likely have Background App Refresh on, is my guess. Check that in settings and disable it.

Dannylad73

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Some of those have permissions to run continuously which are irrevocable and are pretty much required to run the phone normally (Safari, Mail, Calendar) but Instagram and IMDb will likely have Background App Refresh on, is my guess. Check that in settings and disable it.
Back ground app refresh is switched off, also did mention it's the iPhone 6s that's playing up, when I double tap the home button at night I swipe everything upwards then turn off the phone, the next morning turn phone back on, my to check l double tap home button again, and apps are running there ?
Normally when you double tap/close down you don't expect them to be running if you turn your phone off, I try the same senerio even during the day, turn phone back the apps are running even thou l wasn't even using them
Same apps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.