Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stuzog

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
Old login keychains?

I looked into the Keychains folder and besides the three mentioned plus the numbered folder, there are 27 login.keychain.sb-[two-part alphanumeric key] files, going back a year and a half. I'm wondering if it's OK to delete these? They range in size from 264KB to 2.8MB; most are over 2MB. Seems to me that they're leftover detritus from previous systems.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
I had the same problem after upgrading to Mavericks. I called up the Apple store, and this was the fix that was given me:

* Go to Finder.

* On the Finder menu, click on "Go", then on "Go to Folder". A box should come up.

* On the box, type in "~/Library/Keychains/" and click on "Go". It should lead you to the Keychains folder where you will find three items: (1) a folder with a name mixed with letters and numbers, (2) login.keychain, and (3) metadata.keychain.

* Delete the folder with a name mixed with letters and numbers.

* Restart your computer. Check to see if the problem has been solved.

It worked for me. Hope it works for you too!

Thanks buddy!!!

becplumbe

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Appears to have worked for me on Yosemite

I had the same problem after upgrading to Mavericks. I called up the Apple store, and this was the fix that was given me:

* Go to Finder.

* On the Finder menu, click on "Go", then on "Go to Folder". A box should come up.

* On the box, type in "~/Library/Keychains/" and click on "Go". It should lead you to the Keychains folder where you will find three items: (1) a folder with a name mixed with letters and numbers, (2) login.keychain, and (3) metadata.keychain.

Thanks from me too. This appears to have fixed my problem on Yosemite, too (10.10.2) after I started using my iCloud password instead of my local password. Hooray!

KokosMom

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2015
This resolved our issue!

* Go to Finder.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! My husband's frustration with this and the numerous failed attempts at fixing it from prior suggestions only added to his frustration and created my own. I am in debt to you. I owe you cookies, coffee, cupcakes, dog kisses, whatever it takes. You are awesome! And.... like so many others who were here before I was with this same problem, I also created this account just to say "Thank you!!!" Have a happy and blessed day!!!

Last edited:

admin288

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2015
This RESOLVED the same issue on Mavericks

Had the same problem on two Macs after changing the password.
Repairing the Keychain didn't work. It reported no problems.

Called Apple Care Support. This is the article he gave me: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203897 Steps pasted below:

* In Finder Select Go > Go to folder (⇧⌘G)
* In the window that appears, type the following exactly "with tilde":
* ~/Library/Keychains/
* Click OK.
Look for a folder with a name similar to this "A8F5E7B8-CEC1-4479-A7DF-F23CB076C8B8". (Each folder has a unique number.)
* Move this folder to the Trash.
* Immediately choose Apple Menu > Restart… to restart your Mac.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you're not in just /Library/Keychains
NEED TO BE IN: Macintosh HD/Users/"userwithkeychainproblem"/Library/Keychains
HINT: If you don't see a folder with about 30 random characters you're in the wrong place.
I was instructed to remove everything from the above folder.

If you're an Administrator and it is your account, this will work fine.

If you need to do this for another user who is not an Administrator you may need to add your Admin account to their Library folder with Read Write privileges in order to get into that folder.

(Made an account just to reply to this thread. Hope it helps you.)

defecta

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010

* Go to Finder.

Another vote for this solution. This is what Apple Support told me to do too and fixed the problem.

One slight difference in what I was told, which is nice little shortcut.
* After clicking on the Go menu, I was told to hold down the Option key, which revealed the Library folder in the Go menu. ;)

timkitchin

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2015
Thanks

* Go to Finder.

I seemed to have worked...but now, suddenly, they are back... Grrr. May follow your lead and head to the apple store... Thanks anyway though!

monahowell

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011

* Go to Finder.

This was definitely the correct fix for my issue—however, my issue was a little more complex because I not only had a folder with numbers and letters but also an extra single file with that same style of naming, plus a couple of additional files which were labeled a little more clearly, for Microsoft, etc. This is, I'm sure, because I had not recently done a clean install of software, like others had done.

So I deleted BOTH the folder AND the file labeled with just random letters and numbers, and left everything else that was labeled with words or software names alone.

Everything seems to be working properly now but I'm hanging onto that one extra file in case I need to put it back. When I went back to the library/keychains to check on things, I saw that I had a nice new folder named with letters and numbers but no extra file.

So with this configuration, I seem to have MOST of my passwords, except that Mail is now requesting passwords again. But at least my apps don't pop up asking me to type in my password.

Maybe I'll put that single file back in and see if the email passwords come back. Did anyone else try this fix on a system with more than those 3 items in the Keychain folder?

Reactions: xoAnna

WanderingCowboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2016
Austin, Texas

* Go to Finder.

I too specifically signed up to say, “thank you and........ you rule!!!!!!” Cheers and thanks for sharing the knowledge! I too had been fighting with this evil for days after changing my password. I’d been to several pages looking for answers. All sent me down the wrong rabbit holes.

Anyway, yours was finally the fix and with that, once again, THANK YOU!!!!

plafferty

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
Dallas, TX
Spot on!

I signed up on this forum to join your fan club and say thanks :) After upgrading to Mavericks, I first tried 3 or 4 other proposed solutions - this is the one that worked. Good job, mate! :)

There are two folders with both letters and numbers in that Keychain folder. Which would I wish to delete according to your instructions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 11.57.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 11.57.18 AM.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 231

w_fzhang

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2017

* Go to Finder.

That worked! Thanks!

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007

* Go to Finder.

Didn't work for me. Rebooting just recreates a new folder with the mixed letters/numbers and I get the same problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.