Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
I do concert photography and work for a local concert review website and was looking for a website that will resize images to certain size (on the longest side) and/or watermark my photos but also retain the photo metadata. I don't have Lightroom and I am too cheap (and broke) to buy it so I was looking for free software.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
The Automator app, distributed with the OS, has actions that can resize images. They might be named "Scale Images" or "Rescale". I don't recall if they preserve metadata, so you could make a test to find out.

There might even be an image watermarking Automator action, but it may vary by OS version. Type the keyword "image" into Automator's search criteria for actions, and it should list all the actions for images. Or type "watermark" (or just "water") and see what it lists.

If you prefer command-line tools, the command 'sips' can resize, convert formats, and perform various other actions on images. To read its help, type this in a Terminal window:
Code:
sips -h

Or man sips. The command sips -H will list the metadata (properties) it can read, alter, or copy.

The sips option to resize to a "long side" dimension is -Z (upper-case is significant).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.