Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lyra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Beta Colony, Alpha City
Hi

So, I installed Panther, it runs really fast everything is super on it, but my Apps. Unexpectedly quit way too often!

I mean simple apps. like Safari, Mail, Entourage, more or less all the software I use has quit on me in the past two days... Can any one tell me why?

I mean people say it is more solid then Jaguar... How can that be when this nearly never happened on Jag.

It was installed on a G5, did a clean install after I erased my HD...

Serious glitch... And not very good if I work in FCP 4 and it quits... Too much work went into my project and it was not saved... Stuff like that makes me angry... So I need to fix this as soon as possible...

So does any one have the same problems?

I am using B85 and the ADC member version. Is there any difference in the disc that I will be getting tomorrow as an up-to-date program? Those discs are the same as the ADC discs right?

PS. Just to clear up any confusion, I got my discs from the G5 Up-To-Date Program, also I am member of the ADC. Just so this will not start into some where did you get yours bla bla bla... Most Up-To-Date G5 users are getting theirs a little bit before...

:confused:

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Re: Apps. Unexpectedly quit too often!

Originally posted by Lyra
Hi

So, I installed Panther, it runs really fast everything is super on it, but my Apps. Unexpectedly quit way too often!

I mean simple apps. like Safari, Mail, Entourage, more or less all the software I use has quit on me in the past two days... Can any one tell me why?

I mean people say it is more solid then Jaguar... How can that be when this nearly never happened on Jag.

It was installed on a G5, did a clean install after I erased my HD...

Serious glitch... And not very good if I work in FCP 4 and it quits... Too much work went into my project and it was not saved... Stuff like that makes me angry... So I need to fix this as soon as possible...

So does any one have the same problems?

I am using B85 and the ADC member version. Is there any difference in the disc that I will be getting tomorrow as an up-to-date program? Those discs are the same as the ADC discs right?

PS. Just to clear up any confusion, I got my discs from the G5 Up-To-Date Program, also I am member of the ADC. Just so this will not start into some where did you get yours bla bla bla... Most Up-To-Date G5 users are getting theirs a little bit before...

:confused:
It's still a beta version. That means don't expect it to run perfectly yet, as there are still a few bugs. Wait for the full version to come out before you make a judgement. Regardless, you really shouldn't do work on a beta OS...

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Why do you say this, XnavxeMiyyep? The "full version" IS 7B85. 7B85 is NOT beta, and that's NOT what the "B" stands for (search the archives).

Lyra: I'm an ADC member and downloaded 7B85 when it was put up last week. I did a clean install on my TiBook/1 GHz and haven't had *any* problems.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Originally posted by daveL
Why do you say this, XnavxeMiyyep? The "full version" IS 7B85. 7B85 is NOT beta, and that's NOT what the "B" stands for (search the archives).

Lyra: I'm an ADC member and downloaded 7B85 when it was put up last week. I did a clean install on my TiBook/1 GHz and haven't had *any* problems.
Okay, I apologize. I thought that the B stood for Beta.

Lyra, maybe you should try to reinstall Panther. Until you get your problem fixed, however, remember the words, "save often."

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Lyra: I was wondering what you did with your Jag preferences? If you copied them over, that *might* have something to do with your problems. I went through each pref in Panther as if Jag never existed. The only things I brought straight over from my Jag home folder were docs, pictures and music. I did a fresh install of all my non-Apple apps.

Just a thought.

Lyra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Beta Colony, Alpha City
My Reply...

Hi guys, thanks for being so cool and answering my post, this would not have been so easy over at Macnn. That is why I stopped using that forum...

Ok, let me start by saying, I did a clean install, one where I erased the entire disc, and formated it with Extended Journaling.

Then did a clean install...

Something that makes sense to me is what DaveL mentioned.

Yes indeed I too over lord knows how much of my old preferences and even some application support stuff... In other words I kinda did what I guess, now looks to be a problematic procedure...

How on earth did you find that out DaveL? You are good. The only question is, did you learn this from experience?

Have you had the same problems and when you did the way you described, remove all the problems?

Thanks so much for your replies, I can't wait to see what you reply. I mean if the problem is that the preferences need to be made in Panther and not imported from Jag. then it makes sense. Why would it ever be so easy, I need to find all my serials for the ton of software I have. How about high scores from Game-House games? Favorites from Safari? Would it make any difference if I made a backup with the software Apple makes?

Again thank you for all your answers... One in particular, looks promising, as it was what I did, putting all my old system stuff over on panther... Pref.. and such... Fonts as well...

Thanks
;)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by shadowfax
maybe if you hold out for the 10.3.1 release it will fix a lot of stuff. i'll bet they put it out within 2 weeks tops.

Hopefully. I'm pretty surprised they didn't sit on 10.3 just a little longer to get a few more of the bugs out.

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
Pref probs

The key to identifying Pref related problems is noticing when the app quits.
Applications that die immediately upon launch are nearly always suffering corrupted prefs. Apps check for pref settings immediately upon launch that's why pref corruption manifest like this.
Apps that run for a while might have pref problems, but it could be something else entirely.

I've been installing about every other build on one machine or another and the recent ones have been very stable. Build 74 and 85 have occasionally had Safari crash on me but very rarely. Some third party apps (Lux) crash often, most do not.

Your problem seems to be too frequent to be easily explained by a bad pref or two.. you've said almost everything is crashing.

I have to wonder if you installed something into the system that made it inherently unstable... somthing that hasn't been updated for Panther.
Have you installed anything that adds stuff to the system? Antivrus, Haxies (Application Helper), Disk Doctor....?

General instability can also be caused by hardware problems. Have you added third party Memory or hardware? Do you have your system close to a large electromagnet source? (no seriously, I worked on a computer installed on a desk that was up against a wall that housed a very large Transformer)

Go ahead and trash all of /Users/username/Library/Preferences (but don't delete them yet) and see if that helps.
Otherwise reinstall.

Lyra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Beta Colony, Alpha City
oh yeah..

ffakr...

Well, you might be on to something there...

I have installed Stuffit Deluxe 8, then updated it as it simply didn't work...

I am also using something called F10. Both of these programs adds a pref pane in my system preferences...

Other then that I am not really doing anything else...

I did buy more ram for my G5 1.8 but they were rock solid on Jaguar... So I guess they are good...

Nothing else could explain what is wrong with my machine...

But I think I will do it the hard way and erase everything again and to a reinstall of the entire system from ground up.
:(

But I hope this is only a temp problem as everything else is SUPER FAST! I mean my G5 from power on to active desktop with an open iTunes, that only takes 10 seconds... sometimes less if I do a restart...

Thanks for all the help...

tomdavies

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Sydney, Oz
I have this problem with 10.2.

It appears to be caused by a corrupted file system, specifically an 'overlapping extents' problem, that is, two files are using the same bit of the disk.

Try booting into single user mode and typing the command 'fsck -y'

This won't fix your problem, but will tell you if that's what's wrong!

If it is, the fix is (possibly) a third-party disk utility, or a clean install.

Tom

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
I've heard bad things about Stuffit 8 but I don't recall what specifics...

could be a corrupted volume. it's always good to run a decent repair tool in these instances. My personal favorite is DiskWarrior.. recent Norton's have trashed a few drives on me.

Forgot to mention earlier.. try a 'Repair Disk permissions' from the disk utility just for fun.

As for the memory, there have been instances were one OS revision was more picky about memory that previous versions. Remember when Apple broke third party generic memory with an update? (might have been 9 to X) There was a problem where some generic memory didn't have proper info about its self flashed on the chips so the newer revision wouldn't use them. Upgrade and loose RAM.
I've not heard of such an issue with Panther, but anything is possible. Try pulling the extra memory just to test. Remember good form (touch the case before you unplug to de-static, power down, pull the cable, uninstall memory (don't shuffle your feet in the process ;-), only hold it by the edges and put it in a static bag). or just use a wrist strap ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.