Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
Hello

I have an iPhone 5, and I think 12.4.3 is going to be the last update, so until when the iPhone is going to receive apps updates?
Thanks
Came

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hello

I have an iPhone 5, and I think 12.4.3 is going to be the last update, so until when the iPhone is going to receive apps updates?
Thanks
Came
App updates will continue to be available as long as the apps are supporting the iOS version that you have. At some point the app developers might drop support for older iOS versions—some might do it faster than others and others still might not do it at all or not for a very long time. With iOS 12 there’s still some time to go before even some will stop putting out updates that support it.

Reactions: camelia

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
The other thing to be aware of is that it's not uncommon when new apps are introduced that they require the current iOS version, and don't necessarily support earlier versions. I've had this happen a few times over the years.

Similarly, new versions of an app may require the latest iOS version to support new features because the underlying functionality is in the latest iOS version.

None of this is fatal but it can be annoying.

camelia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Mexico City
The other thing to be aware of is that it's not uncommon when new apps are introduced that they require the current iOS version, and don't necessarily support earlier versions. I've had this happen a few times over the years.

Similarly, new versions of an app may require the latest iOS version to support new features because the underlying functionality is in the latest iOS version.

None of this is fatal but it can be annoying.

What about security? for example Paypal app :eek:

Thanks
Camelia

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
What about security? for example Paypal app :eek:

Thanks
Camelia

Yet another concern, true. With iOS 12, you're probably good for a while, but it won't work indefinitely. I kept an iPhone 4 going for years after I stopped using it as a phone, and didn't update iOS. The number of apps that either wouldn't install or wouldn't update got to be really large, and as you point out, it wasn't getting security updates, either. I gave up eventually and sold it.

• Love
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.