Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beansbaxter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Seattle
I have an iPhone 11 running iOS 13.3.1

One of my apps, Swarm, asks for Location permission and I choose 'While Using the App'

When I'm not using this app, my phone will show a blue GPS indication in the upper corner and clicking this takes me to the Swarm app. The only way to remove this blue GPS indicator, is to Force Close the app.

I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app. I have tried resetting the Location Privacy settings, and no luck.

I tried installing Swarm on an iPad running iPadOS 13.6 and the same problem occurs.

How can I fix this?

Why is an app still using Location Services when the permissions are clearly configured to only while using the app?

Thanks in advance.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
If you're talking about Foursquare Swarm, there is this note in the App Store description:

Location: This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease device battery life.

It may come down to the definition of what "using the app" means. There are plenty of apps that run in background in order to function as expected/designed. If location data is "necessary" to that function, then you may be "using" that app while it's in background.

So yes, force-closing the app may be necessary if you don't want it to constantly use Location Services. Or switch the Location Services setting for that app to "Never" and see if it's still useful to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.