Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Hi

Not sure if this is the correct place...

We’re developing an app for our business but the developer has ZERO graphical design skills... I am developing all of the app artwork (icons, previews etc.) as I’m a former graphic designer, however, I’m not sure on one point.

I am following the Apple guidelines for image dimensions etc.

Some apps I see in the store have rounded app preview/listing images. Do I need to design my images with those rounded edges or does Apple do this automatically?

See an example.

Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• ED511E7D-D6B3-40D3-963A-D7D0492521DC.png
    ED511E7D-D6B3-40D3-963A-D7D0492521DC.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 296

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
That's up to you. I just take screenshots in the Sim. If you want text on the image or any other artistic effects you'll need to do that yourself.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
That's up to you. I just take screenshots in the Sim. If you want text on the image or any other artistic effects you'll need to do that yourself.

Yes, I understand that.

I’ve designed all of the various sizes per device including screenshots, content and text, but I want them to have the rounded corners so wanted to check if I did that on my actual image files or whether Apple automatically adds that effect.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
Looking at the screenshots for one of my apps the iPhone X screenshots have rounded corners, which I didn't add, and the iPad screenshots have square corners. Looking at the screenshots for some other apps it looks the same: iPad screenshots are always rectangular but iPhone screenshots have rounded corners. So I guess Apple does round the corners when displaying the iPhone screenshots.

It does round the corners of the app icon whenever it's displayed and the device or on the App Store.

Liam Steven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Looking at the screenshots for one of my apps the iPhone X screenshots have rounded corners, which I didn't add, and the iPad screenshots have square corners. Looking at the screenshots for some other apps it looks the same: iPad screenshots are always rectangular but iPhone screenshots have rounded corners. So I guess Apple does round the corners when displaying the iPhone screenshots.

It does round the corners of the app icon whenever it's displayed and the device or on the App Store.

Thank you, saved me a job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.