Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbass

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
So who gives a flying whoop? Probably no one. Apple does screw up royally from time to time. But you could miss a few good ones because on the app store if your looking for new releases you'll have to flip to 2nd or 3rd page to see new releases as of today.

http://appshopper.com/games/prices
Shows ones even though released October 7th showing up new. So not sure how they populate their rss feeds but it did show up the new ones as of today. So I recommend discovering new ones this way at least till Apple fixes everything.

http://www.apptism.com/newest
If you want to see the new releases today you have to scroll back to around page 16 (October 14th that is) to see October 7th releases which in actuality were released today October 14th. So these rss feeds are based on the date Apple shows, not on the date they actually came out. Good one Apple.

So here are a few highlights you may have missed
Touch Hockey: FS5 (FREE) shows released October 9th (reality was released October 14th) this one might be better than the $1 Air Hockey one. Can adjust size of goal to defend. AI isn't as strong as Air Hockey but has wi-fi same LAN 2 player, 2 player and 1 player obviously.

LED Basketball
LED Basketball $1 shows released Oct 8th (reality was released Oct 14th) same people who made LED Football.

PuzzleManiak $5 shows released October 7th (reality was released Oct 14th) has 15 logic puzzle solving games.

Urban Tycoon $2 shows released October 7th (reality was released Oct 14th)

Surface to AirMayhem Lite free shows released October 6th (reality was released Oct 14th)

That is just the tip of the iceberg. There are many others applications in addition to games so good luck discovering them all it's a mess.

CommanderData

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2007
That's not true, it's a recent change (since about 2 or 3 weeks ago).

Arn is right. This has been happening since the beginning of the app store, it's just gotten even more noticeable now that they removed the ability for authors to play the system with updates. The app author was also able to modify the release date to get back on top of the stack (if they knew where to look), but I think that hole was closed. Now every app should show the original release date, which is actually the date accepted to the app store, not the date you start to see it available in iTunes. This is why you see new apps for today with release dates 7-10 days in the past...

canadacow

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
Here's my experience with the whole release date thing. There's a spot in the App Store setup where you set the price and release date for the application. Since one doesn't know when you'll get approved, it's generally accepted that you pick the very date you've handed over your app to the store.

So, once your app gets approved or updated, it's up to you to change the date. In my experience, this is the only time release date changes are approved. If you try to change the release date outside of an update or approval, it will be ignored.

Therefore, if there are new developers unfamiliar with this process, their apps will be stuck with the date they submitted them, not when they actually got pushed to the store.

CommanderData

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2007
Here's my experience with the whole release date thing. There's a spot in the App Store setup where you set the price and release date for the application. Since one doesn't know when you'll get approved, it's generally accepted that you pick the very date you've handed over your app to the store.

So, once your app gets approved or updated, it's up to you to change the date. In my experience, this is the only time release date changes are approved. If you try to change the release date outside of an update or approval, it will be ignored.

Therefore, if there are new developers unfamiliar with this process, their apps will be stuck with the date they submitted them, not when they actually got pushed to the store.

Canadacow, thanks for the clarification. I think you're correct that most new devs will be unfamiliar with the process, and that could cause a lot of the trouble we see with release dates. I'll make sure to correct mine when my first round of apps are ready for the store :D

canadacow

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
Canadacow, thanks for the clarification. I think you're correct that most new devs will be unfamiliar with the process, and that could cause a lot of the trouble we see with release dates. I'll make sure to correct mine when my first round of apps are ready for the store :D

Cool. Best of luck and I look forward to seeing what you've put together!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.