Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouisOscar17

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
Hi guys,

I’ve just purchased a Aqara G4 Doorbell as I don’t have a power near my front door.

I’ve got a Logitech Circle View camera in my back garden, and it’s running perfectly and recording as expected.

I’ve connected the Doorbell and relay to my phone and internet, it’s updated to the latest firmware, and the batteries are apparently at 100% but I’m getting a blank screen on the Aqara app and a message “No Response” on the Home app.

Any ideas? I’m about to bounce the heap of **** off the doorstep. 😂

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
If it's a brand new device that you're trying to setup, why not call Aqara tech support? Maybe it's defective and they need to replace it?

Sir, do you have any experience with Aqara devices? Are they worth it?

Last edited:

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Sir, do you have any experience with Aqaba devices? Are they worth it?
I know you weren't asking me, but...

I have two Aqara G3 cameras, and a number of accessories, including door sensors, motion sensors, air quality/temperature sensors, light switches and smart plugs. They all work very well and integrate fully into HomeKit for scenes and automations. The cameras record to HomeKit Secure Video, too.

My only negative is that the light switches look and feel a little cheap. I have mostly Lutron light switches, but deployed Aqara switches in closets etc. where the look doesn't matter because they're half the price. They work well; they have an audible "click" when actuated (unlike the Lutrons which are silent) in case that is an issue for you.

I have numerous scenes and automations that use the Aqara accessories in concert with non-Aqara accessories, all through HomeKit. The cameras have IR blasters too, which I use to turn TVs on/off.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Sir, do you have any experience with Aqara devices? Are they worth it?
Been using Aqara for a few years now. Even before they became a mainstream HomeKit product sold on Amazon and were very hard to get. I must say they’re fantastic. Reasonably priced too. The sensors are lightning fast and reliable. I installed a G4 doorbell on my back door a few days ago and it’s been rock solid so far (hardwired tho). Hope the OP gets his sorted out.

I initially went with Aqara as a DIY self monitoring alarm system. Now I use them wherever I could. Love that their Zigbee hubs are more than just hubs. They’re also cameras, RGB lights, sirens, etc…

Reactions: coredev

coredev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2012
Bavaria
I also have a bunch of Aqara sensors and one cam acting as a bridge (set up for HKSV too).
All working well, had more trouble with devices marked as Homekit compatible.
I can confirm that Aqara sensors react very fast and are reliable. Def worth the money.

LouisOscar17

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
If it's a brand new device that you're trying to setup, why not call Aqara tech support? Maybe it's defective and they need to replace it?
This was my intention. I thought I would ask my fellow Homekit users to see if anybody had experienced something similar, or if anybody had anything constructive to say.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
This was my intention. I thought I would ask my fellow Homekit users to see if anybody had experienced something similar, or if anybody had anything constructive to say.

Calling Aqara to find out if your new hardware is defective is about the most constructive thing you can do. Even if somebody here could help you figure that out, you'd still have to call them to get RMA approval.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hi guys,

I’ve just purchased a Aqara G4 Doorbell as I don’t have a power near my front door.

I’ve got a Logitech Circle View camera in my back garden, and it’s running perfectly and recording as expected.

I’ve connected the Doorbell and relay to my phone and internet, it’s updated to the latest firmware, and the batteries are apparently at 100% but I’m getting a blank screen on the Aqara app and a message “No Response” on the Home app.

Ok, just thought about something and I’ve been reading about this issue in Reddit. How far away is the chime repeater from the doorbell and what materials are in between? Try bringing the doorbell close to the chime repeater to see if that fixes it. Might be connection issue between the doorbell and the chime repeater.

Hatton920

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012
Hi guys,

The chime box and doorbell connect via their own wireless connection. My suggestion would be to move the chime box closer and see if that fixes your issue.

Reactions: Itinj24

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Ok, just thought about something and I’ve been reading about this issue in Reddit. How far away is the chime repeater from the doorbell and what materials are in between? Try bringing the doorbell close to the chime repeater to see if that fixes it. Might be connection issue between the doorbell and the chime repeater.

The chime box and doorbell connect via their own wireless connection. My suggestion would be to move the chime box closer and see if that fixes your issue.

I agree with both suggestions.

I have a door lock that needs to connect to a HomeKit hub to be part of my HomeKit setup. The hub - my Gen 1 HomePod - was located only about 30 feet away, so you’d think there would be no issue getting a signal to the lock. The problem was that between the HomePod and the lock was a closet.

So while the HomePod was relatively close to the lock, there were several layers of drywall, some wood and a bunch of coats in the way. All of that meant that the signal transmitting between the HomePod and the lock resulted in the signal transmitted between the two devices being sporadic at best (remember, radio waves only travel in straight lines and the higher the frequency (like the 5Ghz Wi-Fi signal), the more attenuated the signals become due to physical obstructions).

As a solution, I moved the HomePod to a location closer to the door, with a clear line of sight, and now the lock works just fine.

Reactions: Itinj24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.