Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kunai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
This is a Leopard-inspired visual style for OS X Mountain Lion. Some have tried it on 10.9 with success, but use at your own risk. I do not take any responsibility for damage to your system or applications. Backup system files are available from this link.
Download the disk image, mount it, and click on Uninstall. Your standard interface will be restored. Log out to see the changes.

For the most part, I like the new interface, but I miss the rounded buttons and the larger and more vivid titlebar traffic lights. The window background is darker and flatter than it is in Mountain Lion.

The window controls are straight from Leopard/SL and the pushbuttons are from Tiger (couldn't source any Leopard pushbuttons; I'll have to try again and upload once I do), and the rest of the interface is pretty much the same. It looks quite nice in my opinion; nice and usable without being dull, grey and boring. It takes me back to when I used to visit our local Apple store in 2007 and when my parents got their first iPhones (after the price drop, of course). It was a good year for Apple (arguably their best) and a very fine one for me, and since I spend probably 70% of my day in front of my MacBook, this theme brings back those great memories.

Use the "ColorfulSidebar" SIMBL plugin to get the sidebar icons back. Some apps have problems with this theme; notably Firefox, which screws up the entire window toolbar. This can easily be fixed with a simple persona application. Aperture, Calendar, and Contacts are not themed with this, nor are Notes and Game Center. Only pure Cocoa UI elements are styled. Aperture is not styled, nor is QuickTime.

I'll see if I can get this visual style a lot more comprehensive in the future. For now, it's like the title says: a droplet of Aqua from Leopard. Not a torrent or deluge of water, just a few drops. Few enough to set the interface apart from the world of drab and dull grey.

Download from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuc28x3wqwwrxwf/Leopard Visual Style for Mavericks.dmg

Screenshots are attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-01 at 5.29.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-01 at 5.29.07 PM.png
    963.4 KB · Views: 455
  • Screen Shot 2013-09-01 at 5.07.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-01 at 5.07.15 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 294
  • Screen Shot 2013-09-01 at 4.53.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-01 at 4.53.47 PM.png
    808 KB · Views: 331
  • Screen Shot 2013-09-01 at 4.52.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-01 at 4.52.56 PM.png
    885 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

crion

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
It looks great, but it doesn't work when I install it (I'm using a Retina macbook, so that could be part of the problem).

Volkstaia

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2012
East Coast of the US
This is a Leopard-inspired visual style for OS X Mountain Lion. Some have tried it on 10.9 with success, but use at your own risk. I do not take any responsibility for damage to your system or applications. Backup system files are available from this link.
Download the disk image, mount it, and click on Uninstall. Your standard interface will be restored. Log out to see the changes.

For the most part, I like the new interface, but I miss the rounded buttons and the larger and more vivid titlebar traffic lights. The window background is darker and flatter than it is in Mountain Lion.

The window controls are straight from Leopard/SL and the pushbuttons are from Tiger (couldn't source any Leopard pushbuttons; I'll have to try again and upload once I do), and the rest of the interface is pretty much the same. It looks quite nice in my opinion; nice and usable without being dull, grey and boring. It takes me back to when I used to visit our local Apple store in 2007 and when my parents got their first iPhones (after the price drop, of course). It was a good year for Apple (arguably their best) and a very fine one for me, and since I spend probably 70% of my day in front of my MacBook, this theme brings back those great memories.

Use the "ColorfulSidebar" SIMBL plugin to get the sidebar icons back. Some apps have problems with this theme; notably Firefox, which screws up the entire window toolbar. This can easily be fixed with a simple persona application. Aperture, Calendar, and Contacts are not themed with this, nor are Notes and Game Center. Only pure Cocoa UI elements are styled. Aperture is not styled, nor is QuickTime.

I'll see if I can get this visual style a lot more comprehensive in the future. For now, it's like the title says: a droplet of Aqua from Leopard. Not a torrent or deluge of water, just a few drops. Few enough to set the interface apart from the world of drab and dull grey.

Download from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuc28x3wqwwrxwf/Leopard Visual Style for Mavericks.dmg

Screenshots are attached.

You need to change the folders to the ones from tiger, those look very OS 9ish and thus REALLY OUT OF PLACE

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
All I want is the bright blue scrollbars I had in Snow Leopard. This is fine, but it's not for me. Still I'm glad to know that a tweak like this is possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.