Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tw9876z

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2002
cool, ill put it on my old pc, but can you turn it off and change it around some more? also do you have to buy it?

strngwys

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2002
take that NT

i'm putting it on the horrible NT station i have to slave over at work all day. Just to make me feel a bit more at home.

ipiloot

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2001
I use it every day

Well. If we talk about WindowBlinds, it just replaces the bitmaps, that Windows uses for the buttons, menus, scrollbars etc. with other ones (whatever they are). Therefore You can change Windows to look like a Next machine or BeOS or Mac or whatever other operating system (or some fantasy system).

Therefore, using Windowblinds alone doesn't make Your computer behave like MacOSX. It makes it to look like one. Eaven worse. As Windows uses many sets of the graphics and some apps use their own, windowblinds isn't capable skinning them all.
So. Some bad habits remain (windowing the maximized screen for excample). And some functionality cannot be there (transparent menus, Dock).

What You see on the screenshot is a replaced shell of Windows using all the Stardock's packages. I tried it, but as it took helluva configuration time, I left it behind. Also Dock did look ugly (as the bitmap icon's can't be scaled the way vector icons do.). And the Dock wasn't really alive (the content of the dock wasn't dependent of what programs do I open) Stardock has many packages. You need at least DesktopX to do this.

Below is the picture with the windowblinds and IconPackager as it looks on my desktop.

Attachments

• clipboard.jpg
    clipboard.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 721

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
I found...

an aqua skin for Win Xp... on a site once... but I notified Apple's legal department.

I wonder if they reacted... :)

atomwork

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2001
Miami Beach
confusing

That's weird guys. The link from mmcneil looks so much like a deformed Apple system that it would be redicoulos from them to put on any PC. Every windows looks so like OS X. Isn't that too dangerous for themself in terms of lawsuits here in the US?

But if this is no joke from someone just to blind us then its a poor statement from them to copy so direct our lovely system:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.