Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gabrielefx

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2020
Hi all,

if anyone install Windows 10 on Mac Pro 7.1 (bootcamp) issues could occur when uploading files on the web or generally surfing the web pages only if the Mac Pro is network cabled (ethernet). No issues with wi-fi.

This is the fix:

disable both Recv Segment Coalescing for IPv4 and IPv6 in advanced properties

Regards

Attachments

• network_speed_issues.jpg
    network_speed_issues.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 3,248
Last edited:

AlexC

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
Thank you! This has been bugging me for a while. I ended up using my laptop’s TB3 adapter due to this issue.

bashour

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2018
Montreal, Canada
OMG! Thank you so much. one fascinating point here is it depends on your ISP. I was using Videotron Business for 3 years with zero issues and when I switched to Bell Fibe Business i had 940Mb/s download and ZERO upload - this fixed it.

yqowen

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2020
Thanks a lot! I've encountered this issue since I installed the bootcamp windows 10 2004 build, the upload was extremely slow. The upload returned to normal after changed this setting to disabled.

Enabled.JPG
Disabled.JPG

pwdiesel

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
Northern Virginia
iMac Pro same problem, disable Recv Segment Coalescing helped a little but is not the fix I need. Have to use wifi for net. Unable to find any other solution.

storkinsj

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
Dude. You are a rock star. So weird how these are working in general, but not for certain things. I had actually thrown my ISP completely under the bus. But their equipment change corresponded with My equipment change on the mac pro, and since the ethernet (why use wifi on this thing?) was connecting well to so many sites and not others, I thought it was them. When I switch to wifi, it's reliable.

Some others who did not solve the whole problem: I found that downloads now broke when I did this. I had to turn off all the hardware acceleration features of the switch to make it work. Basically any hardware offload features for the NIC. That solved it for me.
-------
It seems that at least for me, a good way to test for this is to use the folding at home client. I ran into problems both fetching workloads and uploading results. Only the upload was failing at first. After I made the recv buff change, the downloads failed too. Only turning off all NIC acceleration fixed my connectivity.
--------
BTW Acquantia's ESX drivers are equally annoying. For example they claim they work on ESXi 6.7 and 7.0. They do work on ESXi 6.7. On 7.0 they work if you have 10Gbe switch or so I hear.

If you have a mere gigabit switch, they take out everything on the network. In the whole house, somehow DOS'ing the router.

So... Acquantia .... now acquired by Marvell... seems to be doing a cruddy job with testing other platforms at the moment. Apple owns the quality on this, but it's hard to catch everything. Note above this only happens on some ISPs. It is possible my ISP is partially at fault. But we have to be network engineers to understand why.

Last edited:

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Checking in with the latest Big Sur and updated Bootcamp drivers, if this is still an issue with the needed work-around?

Schnauzer World

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2018
Checking in with the latest Big Sur and updated Bootcamp drivers, if this is still an issue with the needed work-around?
It's still an issue with Monterey.

Once in Windows, I updated Bootcamp Drivers 6.1.13 > 6.1.14> 6.1.15. Still no ethernet. Changed the two settings as per original poster and it's fixed.

Reactions: LeonPro

Schnauzer World

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2018
Hi all,

if anyone install Windows 10 on Mac Pro 7.1 (bootcamp) issues could occur when uploading files on the web or generally surfing the web pages only if the Mac Pro is network cabled (ethernet). No issues with wi-fi.

This is the fix:

disable both Recv Segment Coalescing for IPv4 and IPv6 in advanced properties

Regards
Thanks so much for sharing this solution. It's still a problem with Monterey and BC Drivers 6.1.15. Your solution worked perfectly.

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Wow, so glad I found this

Ever since last summer I've been using my thunderbolt docks ethernet because my internet hangs when hard connected to my mac pro, and not just upload issues, any website would continuously try to load. But everything works fine on wifi and ethernet is fine on the mac side.

This fix worked immediately. Now I can hard wire to my mac pro and can not use my thunderbolt dock anymore!

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Over two years since the release of the 7,1 and with multiple Windows 10 updates I'm surprised Apple and Windows still haven't been able to properly address this with the default settings.

chrash

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
I can't believe it took me this long to see this post. I purchased another ethernet card just to get around this issue since I needed access to Windows from time-to-time, but this solved the problem. Thank you!

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Reinstalled Windows 10. Also received a couple of Boot Camp drivers including yesterday's 6.1.18. Still no go on this issue. You need to apply the above fix.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I don't know what changed, but I reinstalled Windows 10 Boot Camp recently and now I don't need to do the workaround any longer. Must be a driver update within a multitude of driver updates during the installation.

Schnauzer World

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2018
I don't know what changed, but I reinstalled Windows 10 Boot Camp recently and now I don't need to do the workaround any longer. Must be a driver update within a multitude of driver updates during the installation.
I just reinstalled a few days ago and had to make the changes as usual. When I did a speed test, it wouldn't even run. Made the changes 950MB/950MB. I think the latest driver is 6.1.1.9.

LeonPro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
I just reinstalled a few days ago and had to make the changes as usual. When I did a speed test, it wouldn't even run. Made the changes 950MB/950MB. I think the latest driver is 6.1.1.9.

Interesting. I've been using the Mac Pro 2019 under Windows 10 every weekend with no issues since the reinstall and no further tweak on my part.

kjkamin

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2023
I have a Mac Mini Intel with this adapter. I can get it to connect at 10GB but within a few minutes the adapter disconnects and stops communicating with switch. The only fix is to hard reboot. I've updated both Mac OS and Windows 10 to latest versions. Changing these settings does not fix the issue. Interestingly the 10GB port works fine on the MacOS side. Any other suggestions since it appears to be a Windows issue?

Schnauzer World

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2018
I have a Mac Mini Intel with this adapter. I can get it to connect at 10GB but within a few minutes the adapter disconnects and stops communicating with switch. The only fix is to hard reboot. I've updated both Mac OS and Windows 10 to latest versions. Changing these settings does not fix the issue. Interestingly the 10GB port works fine on the MacOS side. Any other suggestions since it appears to be a Windows issue?
Under Windows, download Snappy Driver Installer Portable and see if there's a newer driver?

Markohh90

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2023
You just saved my life. THANK you so much. Working on iMac Pro 27" 2017 running bootcamp 6.1.13.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.